"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Tender beef

I am looking for a recipe for beef that can be cooked tender and sliced. I am doing a banquet for 600 and would like to find a cut of beef that is not brisket or tenderloin. Any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Roasting what is called a steamship round is often a hit at big gatherings. The "show" of hand carving slices off a large cut of beef is impressive.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Sous Chef

How about flank or skirt steak. I marinate this (usually for fajitas, but there are many other uses), then grill it. Cut properly, against the grain, it really does fall apart in your mouth. Cut improperly, it becomes like rubber, so the cut is the key. But it's a rather inexpensive and very tender steak.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Master Chef

Our caterer from our wedding (who also had my Mom working for him) would marinate eye of round in a burgundy marinade days before the event, then slow cook in the oven until done. When cool he would slice it very thin and layer it into the buffet pan, shingling it as he went. Then poured the juices over it, wrapped and refrigerated until the day of the event. At that point he would reheat the pans in the oven very slowly until everything was heated through. It was SO good! Unfortunately, neither he nor my Mom are still living, so I can't ask specifics as to the marinade. But good luck with 600 people!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Cook

Flank steak is a nice one, marinate it for at least 24 hours first in something good.
tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Inside rounds roasted overnight. Roast at 225f for 1 hr hold 12 - 18 hours at 140f. You should have 130 degree beef the next day. If it's not as done as you want add a little more time at 200f. You'll find that the juice stays in the meat when cut and that your yield will increase to about 90 - 95% rather than the standard 80%
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

If it was me I would go with rolled rump roast. There is very little waste when cooking and they slice very nicely after they are cooked. This is a moderate cut and most people are happy with it.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Proper holding is very important. Each hour of holding is equal to one day of aging. When the internal product temp reaches 140 the tenderization stops.