Teriyaki Sauce Japanese Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBlueEyzz

Assistant Cook
I need some help. I have been out to Japanese restaurants and noticed that their teriyaki sauce is very different than any others I have had. It isn't as salty, it is thick...I am horrible at describing this, but I wanted to see if anyone has any recipes that would make Japanese teriyaki sauce??

Good question! And I hope to follow this topic when there are replies.

Meanwhile I've googled the topic: teriyaki sauce recipes and came up with:

Teriyaki sauce is generally

soy sauce (essential!)
ginger
rice vinegar
sesame oil (sometimes)
chili peppers
sugar, honey or both
garlic
sherry or Asian equivalent
sometimes cornstarch as a thickener
sometimes saki (rice wine) or mirin

I've given this more thought. I think the vegetable ingredients (garlic, ginger, perhaps diced shallots) should be sauteed in a small amount of oil, then the other ingredients added and brought to a boil, then reduce the heat and whack it with a stick blender until everything is uniformly blended. Simmer for a while and then let it cool, and then use it as a basting or barbecue sauce on your chicken, beef, shrimp or whatever teriyaki dish you intend to make.

This topic sounds interesting enough to me to make me want to add it onto my short list of a half dozen recipes I'm actively pursuing.

2 parts Sugar
2 parts Sake
2 parts Soy Sauce
1 parts Mirin

Cook it down until it is a thick as you want.

I need some help. I have been out to Japanese restaurants and noticed that their teriyaki sauce is very different than any others I have had. It isn't as salty, it is thick...I am horrible at describing this, but I wanted to see if anyone has any recipes that would make Japanese teriyaki sauce??

Less salty seems to imply less soy sauce. Soy sauce is inherently salty. I tend to think of soy sauce as Japanese salt (and fish sauce as Thai or Vietnamese salt).

Are there any other soy products with less salt?

Is shoyu less salty? Tamari?

Thick of course is as thick as you want, as PPT pointed out. You can make any sauce thicker by reducing it. But that also intensifies the saltiness.

You can tweak teriyaki flavor to suit personal preference, with different ingredients and proportions, also for different cooking applications like braising or basting. I don't measure; I'm guessing my basic starting point is about 4 parts soy sauce, 3 parts mirin, 1 part sake, ½ part juice of ginger. I usually add, then remove, a garlic clove and a green onion. Also, anywhere from 1 to 3 parts sugar. It's the sugar that's mainly responsible for the sauce's thickening at it heats up and reduces. I sometimes finish it with a pad of butter or sprinkle of hot togarashi spices.

Less salty seems to imply less soy sauce. Soy sauce is inherently salty. I tend to think of soy sauce as Japanese salt (and fish sauce as Thai or Vietnamese salt).

Are there any other soy products with less salt?

Is shoyu less salty? Tamari?

Thick of course is as thick as you want, as PPT pointed out. You can make any sauce thicker by reducing it. But that also intensifies the saltiness.

I like Lite Soy Sauce. I get more flavor with less salt. With high blood pressure, I use it exclusively.

Shoyu is generally less salty, I use it for finishing, Tamari is stronger and saltier, used for marinades.

I add 1 - 4 drops of liquid smoke and less sugar to my teriyaki, after having a wonderful grilled chicken teriyaki.

Hmmm...I just figured out what's for lunch today.

Morning! Quick question, I've been wanting to learn authentic Japanese cooking and it's been a while since I've been around these parts.

Is there a dedicated thread or is it just asking a question when you have a question?

BTW, I likes me some teriyaki, good info!

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. It seems as though I will need to just try different combination to find the one I like :)

Morning! Quick question, I've been wanting to learn authentic Japanese cooking and it's been a while since I've been around these parts.

Is there a dedicated thread or is it just asking a question when you have a question?

BTW, I likes me some teriyaki, good info!

You should pose your question in it's own thread. Then everyone, not just teriyaki lovers would be screaming to answer. Have you tried the Ethnic Foods Forum: Ethnic Foods - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

It's not set up as just Japanese cooking, but there are some good threads there. There are several of us who are enjoying Japanese cooking at this time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom