"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Terrible cooking facilities, ISO tasty easy to cook recipes

Hey all, first time poster, terrible cook. I'm in the last year of my phd, living in a single person dorm room in Australia. The cooking facilities are awful, absolutely disgusting, I'd like to spend as little time in them as possible, so far I've been living on canned soup, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and take-out chinese food. Seriously.

Please help me, recommend some tasty easy to cook recipes, you guys seem like the best group to ask!

-Josh

Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

i'd recommend a small foreman grill. you can cook burgers, small cuts of meat, portabellas,grilled cheeses.....

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I agree about the Foreman grill. My brothers would starve without them. I've also seen these little griddle things that can be placed over burners. Maybe that would be a way to use the facilities without your things actually touching the nastiness. Hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Omelets ---- Lots of options!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squash View Post
Hey all, first time poster, terrible cook. I'm in the last year of my phd, living in a single person dorm room in Australia. The cooking facilities are awful, absolutely disgusting, I'd like to spend as little time in them as possible, so far I've been living on canned soup, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and take-out chinese food. Seriously.

Please help me, recommend some tasty easy to cook recipes, you guys seem like the best group to ask!

-Josh
Hi, Josh. First, welcome to DC. Sorry about your cooking arrangements. The small contact grill that luvs mentioned is a good idea. I'd also look into getting a small crock-pot. That way something could be cooking and getting yummy while you are in class, then you could have leftovers to reheat in the microwave.

Hang in there. More answers are sure to come.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Head Chef

A small microwave might be a good investment. They're incredibly cheap these days.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

how about:
a small toaster oven (meatloaf, toast, biscuits ect)
one of the small electric "pocket" sandwich maker
waffle maker w/ reversible grill plate (you can make waffles, grilled cheese ect)

or this little winner (if you like eggs and toast) eggs benny !!

Availability:

Item arriving in 2 to 6 weeks. Order now.
This item is available online, but is not available in stores.

Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online.

Back to Basic Egg N Muffin 4-Slice Toaster/2 Egg Cooker

$59.99
Sign-infor One Click Ordering for 1-Click

Features

• In about 4 min., this multifunctioning essential lets you make a tasty egg and muffin sandwich right in your kitchen
  • Toast your bread, English muffins, bagels or croissants at the same time you steam-poach an egg or warm up precooked meat
  • Includes high-lift feature, cool-touch exterior, wide slots, bagel and defrost functions, crumb tray and wrapped cord storage
  • 8Hx16Wx11D"
also available from: Amazon
Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hey im also a student living in dorms with a disgusting kitchen..

I bought myself a mini fridge to live out of and I tend to make a lot of pb&j sandwiches too lol

You can buy precooked meats and add them to prebagged salads and throw some chopped up veggies and some salad dressing on there which is always good and easy.

Any sort of sandwich is easy really if you have fillers.

I have a sortve odd way to cook tortellini/ravioli in my room which is cooking it in the sink with the hot tap lol :S not directly in the sink because thats sortve bumping up the gross factor but in a bowl in the sink tilted a bit so the excess hot water can drain out whilst the hot water from the tap goes in.

It cooks through pretty well but it does leave a bit to be desired and i doubt you can cook normal pasta that way.

I have a george foreman as well but I found it smokes too much and would set off the firealarms... :(
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya View Post
Hey im also a student living in dorms with a disgusting kitchen..

I bought myself a mini fridge to live out of and I tend to make a lot of pb&j sandwiches too lol

You can buy precooked meats and add them to prebagged salads and throw some chopped up veggies and some salad dressing on there which is always good and easy.

Any sort of sandwich is easy really if you have fillers.

I have a sortve odd way to cook tortellini/ravioli in my room which is cooking it in the sink with the hot tap lol :S not directly in the sink because thats sortve bumping up the gross factor but in a bowl in the sink tilted a bit so the excess hot water can drain out whilst the hot water from the tap goes in.

It cooks through pretty well but it does leave a bit to be desired and i doubt you can cook normal pasta that way.

I have a george foreman as well but I found it smokes too much and would set off the firealarms... :(
how about cooking the pasta in an electric kettle?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

That would also work but alas I have no kettle