"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Terrible yellow (summer) squash experience last night!

While making dinner last night, I was looking for a vegetable that I could cook fast. I had two beautiful yellow (summer) squash in the refrigerator that I had purchased on Wednesday. I decided to chop them up quickly and cook them in the microwave (something I do often when in a hurry). I put the chopped up pieces in a bowl with a little bit of water and before I covered it, I ate a piece (I was starving)! It was HORRIBLE. I leaned over the sink and spit it out. I was rinsing my mouth with water and practically gagging. (My husband found this pretty amusing.) I ran into the bathroom and tried some Listerine...I HAD to get rid of the awful taste on my tongue. It had coated my tongue and I couldn't get rid of it. I don't even know how to describe it. It was bitter, horrible, bad. No odor, but awful taste. My tongue was just coated with this horrible taste. I tried scrubbing it with toothpaste and a toothbrush and it help a little, but the taste was still there. Finally, I drank some red wine (lol - right out of the bottle). That finally killed the taste. (Wine cures all.)

Really though, what an awful experience. I am SO thankful that I didn't feed that to my children (toddlers).

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this before? I'm not even sure what caused it. It looked and smelled fine. SO strange. Sometimes after yellow squash sits for a while, it gets brownish spots on it (which I would normally just cut off). But these were beautiful. I was thinking about how nice, bright and yellow they were while I was cutting them.

(You guys must have a great imagine of me, with my burnt bundt cake, hanging over the sink, spitting out food and drinking wine out of a bottle! lol)

Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

It seems your squash came in contact with some deco-squash (? You know what I mean??)

My Mum had these two in her garden, too and it ended up with the "right" squash tasting simply awful...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
It seems your squash came in contact with some deco-squash (? You know what I mean??)
No? Sorry! (Should I know what this means?!)

It was the most horrible thing I've ever tasted.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

I don't know the english word - translator didn't help me....

there are some sorts of squash just for decoration, not for eating..
and if squash for eating is grown near deco-squash there is a chance, that the pollen of the one gets into the flower of the other and their genetic information will be mixed..
this can result in the bad taste of the deco squash getting into the other.... *sigh*
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Head Chef

I think what Cara means by deco squash is a squash for decorating.. ones that you can hollow out and make things with, or for thanksgiving decoration.. etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Gourds.... They don't look like yellow crookneck squash usually, though.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I think I'd rather eat a gourd than that yellow squash. I just cannot believe how awful it was.

I'm glad to see that nobody has posted that the same thing happened to them. It was really awful.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Master Chef

I had this once, with the above mentioned...

you can be lucky, you tasted before, I found out that I could throw away the whole meal....

some pics of the deco stuff you find here: Hof Cordes - Zierkürbis
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Mr. Greenjeans

Bischifsmütze - Red Turban, 20 - 35 cm, Zierkürbis, essbar

Also known as "sultan's hat" is actually very tasty.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I would say you had a "bad squash" day...as in a "bad hair" day. I have grown yellow crook neck/ yellow straight neck squash for many years for fresh consumption as well as for the freezer never having experienced the taste problem you describe. My GUESS is you had a "green" (bitter) squash even though the outside was a beautiful yellow...This happens occasionally (not sure why) with the inside actually have a green appearance and/or an immature/under developed look to it...We usually spot these and just toss them...Another GUESS..It may have been be an outside contamination...where and what from would be anybody's guess. ~~~ IMO cross pollination from commercially grown vs. home grown product would be unlikely...but not impossible! HTH

Enjoy
!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote