Thanksgiving sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah 1426

Cook
I did not really know where to put this so I decided to put it here…anyway. I need some good ideas for some thanksgiving sides. I know mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and green beans are good but I was wondering about some more original or even this sides just maybe some variations of these sides. If anyone has some good recipes for some good sides, please let me know. Thanks. :LOL:

This is one that we are having along with the mashep potatoes, sweet potatoes, & greenbean cass.

Pineapple Casserole
1(16oz)can pineapple chunks
1/2C. sugar
3Tbsp. flour
1C. grated cheddar cheese
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
Ritz cracker crumbs(I use 1 tube of Ritz for this size)

Spread pineapple with juice in casserole dish(2 quart I think). Mix sugar & flour & sprinkle on top of pineapple. Cover with grated cheese. Top with Ritz crumbs. Pour melted butter evenly over Ritz. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes until top is brown & bubbly.

I usually get everything ready the night before & assemble right before cooking. Do not assemble ahead of time because it will be too runny when you cook it.

everytime I read about that pinapple casserole, make me mouth water. My aunt brings cheesy potatoes for those that don't like green bean casserole and sweet potatoes.

One of our favorites.

Corn Pie

Ingredients:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 cup milk
dash of pepper
dash of nutmet
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Beat eggs and sugar together.
2. Add flour, corn, butter, milk and seasonings.
3. Pour into casserole dish and cover. Bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.

Another favorite.

Butternut Squash Cream Pie

1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup hot water
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 T carmel ice cream topping
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 pkg (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup plus 2 T milk
1 pie shell (9 inch) baked
Whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut

Cut squash in half, discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in microwave-safe dish, add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1 -1 1/2 cups squash (save remaining squah for another use)

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in squash until blended. Add the sugar, carmel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves; beat until blended. Add pudding mix and milk; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Spoon into pie shell. Refigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
6-8 servings

Wild Mushroom Strudel

2 cups chopped mixed fresh wild mushrooms (chanterelles, shiitakes, morels)
2 cups common mushrooms
5 T butter
2 medium shallots, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 T chopped mixed herbs (your faves) or 2 t dried
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup lightly toasted bread crumbs
two 6-inch crepes

In a large pan, saute all the mushrooms in 2 T of the butter over medium-high heat until all their liquid has been rendered and evaporated and the mushrooms are golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Add shallots, season with salt and pepper, and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in herbs. Taste and correct seasoning, then chill mixture. When mushrooms are cool, stir in the beaten egg.

Preheat oven to 400. Melt remaining butter. Lay out one sheet of phyllo on work surface, with long sides running vertically. Brush entire surface w/melted butter, then sprinkle with 1/3 of bread crumbs. Cover first sheet with second sheet and repeat with butter and crumbs. Repeat with third sheet.

Place 2 crepes across the closest short side and mound chilled mushroom mixture in a line across the crepes, leaving a 1-1/2 margin at either end. Pat the mushrooms into a neat cylinder, fold the margins in, then roll the crepes and phyllo hseets around the filling. Continue rolling until all the pastry is wrapped around the filling.

Place roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet and brush entire surface with more melted butter.

Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Use serrated knife for best results.

I've got a green bean recipe, but will have to post it after I get home.

Now those are pies I would like!!!!!! LOL

Here's a family favorite - hands down - I usually double this recipe but this year I'm going to triple it.

Grandma’s Broccoli Casserole

• 1 pkg. frozen broccoli
• 1 can French fried onion rings
• 1 C cashews nuts (broken)
• 1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
• 3 Tbs. liquid from broccoli
• 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli according to directions, drain and save liquid. Put broccoli in bottom of buttered casserole dish and layer as follows:

Onion rings, cashew nuts, cream of mushroom soup that has been mixed with broccoli liquid and pour over all. Top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes or until bubbly.

***if you forget to save the broccoli water just use water.

Here's a salad side that's easy to make, doesn't need room on/in the stove, and looks real purty!

WHITE CORN AND BABY PEA SALAD

10-12servings

1 16oz. pkg. frozen white corn
1 16oz.pkg.baby peas
1 cup cubed jicama*
2/3 cup chopped celery
½ cup thin sliced scallions
½ cup rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
¼ cup chopped red/orange peppers
2Tbrown sugar
1T parsley
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp.pepper

Combine dressing ingredients ;whisk well. Combine veggies, pour dressing over, cover and chill up to 2 hours.

*If you can’t find/don’t like jicama, sub celery.

Laura White's Green Bean Casserole

6 T flour
2 C milk
1/4 stick butter
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
8 oz New York sharp cheese, grated
2 medium onions, chopped and sauteed in 2 t butter
3 16 oz cans green beans, drained
1 4 oz can mushrooms, sliced and drained
1/2 C pecans, chopped

Procedure

Make a suace of flour, milk, butter, salt and pepper. When thickened, add cheese and onions. Layer sauce,beans,mushrooms and nuts in a 2quart casserole dish. Repeat, ending with sauce on top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Brocollie/Cauliflower salad..
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup parmasan
1/3 cup diced onion
sm pk frozen peas
1lb bacon fried and crumbled
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup miracle whip
I head brocolli
1 head cauliflower
Cut up the veggies to sm floweretts, mix sugar cheese and onion, mix the sour cream and mayos. add to cut up veggies add peas and bacon.

ummm...yeah all of these do look wonderful!! thanks so much for your replys, now I just have some hard decisions to make about which to make....hehe!

thanks again!!

This sounds very much like a favorite dish we make at Thanksgiving and or Christmas, except ours calls for jello.

BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE DESSERT

CRUST:

1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup margarine -- melted
1 cup flour

FILLING:

8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 cup powdered sugar
8 ounces Cool Whip

TOPPING:

4 cups blueberries -- fresh or frozen, divided
1 cup sugar -- divided
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

FIRST, combine crust ingredients; spread in a 9x13" pan and cook for 15 minutes at 350°F. Cool.

SECOND, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water, then 2 cups of the blueberries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and translucent (about 10 minutes).

Crush some of the blueberries as they cook. Remove from heat and add remaining sugar and blueberries. Cool.

THIRD, cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread over cooled crust. Chill.

FOURTH, Spread the blueberries over cream cheese filling and chill.

Apples make good side dishes.

CRACKER BARREL FRIED APPLES

2 cups Apple juice
4 large Golden Delicious apples with -- peel, 1/2" wedges
1/2 cup Apple juice
3 TBS Cornstarch
1 tsp Apple pie spice
4 TBS Sugar

Combine apple juice and apples in a medium skillet. Simmer gently and turn apples often with spatula until fork tender but not mushy. Remove with a slotted spoon to oven dish. In blender pur 1/2 c apple juice, cornstarch, spice and sugar. Blend a few seconds until smooth. Stir into hot juice in skillet and cook, stirring constantly on med-high until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth. Turn heat off. Pour over apples.

Serve warm as side dish or dessert. Refrigerate to use in a few days or freeze.

Caramel Apple Salad

8 oz cool whip
1 pkg butterscotch pudding
8 oz crushed pineapple with juice
1 c dry roasted peanuts
1 c mini marshmallows

Mix cool whip pudding and pineapple with the juice in a bowl mix well Add the peanuts apples and the marshmallows

serves apx 8

Back
Top Bottom