The basic recipes chefs should know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's more important to learn cooking technique rather than specific recipes. Proper technique will come in handy far more often than a specific recipe will. That's not to say that recipes aren't important, because they are. But here's a basic list off the top of my head before I go to sleep. This list is formulated more towards the home cook:

--Proper Seasoning
--PROPER SEASONING!!!
--Pan Searing
--Saute/Pan Frying
--Grilling
--Deep Frying
--Braising
--Poaching
--Roasting
--Basting
--Blanching
--De-glazing/pan sauces
--Proper cooking temperatures
--Proper heating of fats
--Proper protein doneness
--Basic Knife Cuts
--Knife sharpening and honing
--Fabricating small fish, poultry, and meats
--Chicken, Veal/Beef, Fish, and Shellfish stocks
--Trussing
--Barding
--Bechamel and Hollandaise (the only two Mother Sauces you really need to know)
--Mayonnaise (NOT a Mother sauce) and aiolis
--Vinaigrettes; egg and non-egg based
--Basic wine reductions
--Cream reductions
--Basic tomato sauce (pomodoro)
--Beurre Blanc
--Demi Glace
--Al dente pasta
--Rice
--Brining

....to be continued...

Oh really, Iron chef?????? and how do YOU make a demi glace? The proper demi glace is made from Espagnole. which is made from Brown Stock.

didnt see any of that on your list!!!!

Now, I'm not saying a good or even great chef always makes their own, but do you REALLY think a chef doesn't need to know HOW to do that????

I think so..... :chef:

Aîoli is like a Garlic Mayonnaise -- but not quite. There are NO OTHER "aîolis" anything else is properly flavored mayonnaise. and that's fine, but flavored mayonnaises are NOT aîoli. in fact, the word aîoli is a mix-up of garlic -- ail, and olive oil.

Too bad ... now instead of posting the list of the 7 methods of cooking cited by David Wade, and why I think it should be expanded to 11 ... I'm wondering if perhaps your original question was actually just supercillious? :mad:

Considering I would rate myself about a 4 out of 10 in the kitchen I really don't think my original post is supercillious in the slightest.

In fact I would like to expostulate that my previous posts and threads started have not suggested that I am supercillious in the slightest and leave your argmuent filipendulous.

bunch o' sesquipedalians.

don't sweat mikey, knight.

been there, done that.

Last edited:
I agree with Ironchef in that techniques are more important than are recipes. The things I think are immportant to know, and that serve me well through all of my cullinary adventures.

1. My most important asset is my ability to understand haw foods react to heat.

2. The differences between cuts of meat, especially beef cuts, will dictate how they must be prepared.

3. What flavors go well with each other.

4. Understanding how to make roux based sauces, cream sauces, stocks and broths, and the mistakes that can break a sauce.

5. Emulsifiers and how they affect recipes they are used in.

6. knowledge of water based cooking techniques.

7. Understanding the different types of frying, and knowing how to select the appropriate frying technique.

8. The differences between baking, roasting, and oven-frying.

9. undertstanding yeast and chemically raised batters and dough

10, types of thickeners and their effect on flavor and texture

11. Proper final temperature for different food types, i.e. meats, fish, veggies, ect.

12. Knowing your sweeteners and how they affect flavor and texture

13. How to insure moist pastries and breads.

14. Knowing the characteristics of different flour types, including high, medium, and low gluten flours, as well as the properties of different grains.

15. How to ballance flavors

16. How to build the proper fire for grilling, barbecuing, or fire-roasting.

17. The difference between barbecue and grilling.

18. Tenderizing meat through cooking technique, mechanical technique, and enzimatic technique.

19. the difference between a marinade and a brine.

20. Understanding acids and alkalies.

There are many more things to learn. But if you understand these basic 20 priniples, you will be able to succesfully make everything from hot dogs to crown roasts, to standing rib roasts, to bacon. You will be able to make a simple chemically risen batter and understand that those same ingredients can create for you pancakes, cakes, biscuits, banana bread, muffins, etc. with but a few simple changes from one recipe to the other.

The same is true of yeast risen batters. They can make everything from belgian waffles to french bread, simply by changing the amount of liquid, and a few other ingredients.

Once you understand the basic pie crust, you can use it for fruit and cream pies, meat pies, pasties, tarts, cookies, shortbread, and many other treats.

Cooking isn't about learning and memorizing a thousand different techniques and recipes. By understanding that chicken dries out and turns tough at any temperature above 170' F., I can make wonderful soups, roasted, baked, fried, grilled, and barbecued chicken dishes, including whole birds, cornish game hens, chicken pieces, caseroles, stews, etc.

I have studied the cuts that come from beef and pig carcases. Once you understand those two animals, and how to treat the respective cuts, you can extrapolate that info to lamb, mutton, venison, bison, elk, bear, etc. You will learn to recognize similarities between different animals and thus how to prepare them.

The most important thing you can understand about food preperation is to understand that everyone is different, and that there are very few preperations that are "the right way" to make. Everyone likes their food seasoned a bit differently. Even textures are subjective. One person likes firm, dry, almost crunchy rice, while the next person will only eat soft and sticky rice. Understand that your opinion is valuable mostly to you. My opinion suits me perfectly. After all, the way I prepare food is geared to my likes and dislikes. Of course, I try to understand the likes of the people I'm preparing food for, so that I can tayloy my meal to create the most enjoyment for any given situation.

Don't be afraid to experiment. And don't be afraid to fail. For every failure, there will be more successes. And you learn from both.

Cooking is a science, a hobby, and an art. It can be a profesion, a passion, or just a way to fill the belly. It's up to you.

Oh, one more thing; know your cooking tools, and which ones are necessary for the kind of cooking you want to do. Also, don't become a food snob. If you enjoyed beans and wieners as a kid, or pbj's, keep enjoying them. Just add to your list of foods you have experienced.

Did you know that if you take a simple pbj, spread butter on the outside of both bread slices, and gill it on a pan, like a grilled cheese sandwich, it completely changes the character of the end product. It's not the same as making a pbj with toasted bread either. And it's deliscious, if difficult to eat.

Be open minded about new foods and new techniques. But use logic to evaluate what people tell you, including, and maybe especially what the TV "Chefs" tell you on their shows. I've heard a lot of garbage come from some of those chefs that just wasn't correct, or was at best, misleading. If you have a physics background, and maybe some chemistry, adding in a bit of mehcanical engineering, you will have a definite edge in you ability to build a mental database to use as you cook. That database will eventually help you to be intuitive, seemingly to know what will work, even if you've never tried to make a particular type of dish before.

If you don't have the schoolastic background, don't fret. As I said before, cooking is somewhat of an art, but one that can be learned by nearly everyone.

Yeh, I can get wordy. BT, no comments here. We have new members who will read this and come to understand that I often have a lot to say (sometimes too much:ohmy:). But you always have to have someone like me on a site to ballance out those people who never say more than a single sentence.

I'm going to bed now. Hope some of what I've said helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Good post Goodweed, you have covered it extremely well
If you don't have the schoolastic background, don't fret. As I said before, cooking is somewhat of an art, but one that can be learned by nearly everyone.
I'm pleased you said "nearly" everyone, like in all trades some people will not grasp the ability to perform simply because it's not in their blood, there are cooks and there are cooks that can't cook.

I feel that Knight is keen and eager as being knew to the forums and is asking lots of questions as well he will, I don't think he is trying to upset anyone,

But use logic to evaluate what people tell you, including, and maybe especially what the TV "Chefs" tell you on their shows.
Knight mentioned Gordon Ramsay, although there are many fine TV chefs I wouldn't give Gordon Ramsay the time of day, he is just a foul mouthed person who should be delegated to the soup kitchen simply because of his attitude

Thank you Goodweed, thank you attie. This was turning into the battle of the dictionaries.

AC

IC - If I wanted to be a professional chef, your list sounds like a great plan for a cooking school. It taught me that there is way more to being a chef than I thought. More than I can master at my age. Hats off for that.

Goodwed - Your post gives me an outstanding "meat and potatoes" outline for someone that just wants to make good food for my family and friends. I love to learn and your list gives me so many areas to learn in a way that I can understand it and work with it.

DC - As I grow in knowledge and skills, I have been able to use things like the search tool and browse forums and research the things that I need to learn.

AC

Geez guys calm down, 3-4 light hearted posts hardly means war has broken out on the forum. I would be surprised if anybody took any offence to anything I said in this or any thread.

I mentioned Gordon Ramsay in passing, as for his cooking skills I wouldnt know as I have never eaten anything he has cooked. But I know he has a crap load of money.

Mostly I was not after some sort of complete A-B of cooking for chefs. Just the basic level of skills and the basic recipes you are expected to be able to cook at a basic level as a qualified chef.

Last edited:
I think if you really want to call yourself a chef, and not just a cook, you should really be familiar with most or all of IC list. You can have the most creative palette and better understanding of flavor than anyone in the world, but it won't matter if you don't have the technique to create flavor, everything you cook is going to taste like mud anyways.

If you're looking for a basic competency that will make you a better cook than you are now, I think IC and GW have really said it all, but here's my top 10 list:

Proper Seasoning (The very very very easiest place to find more flavor)
Heat Control
Knowledge of Ingredients
Knife Skills
Methods of Cooking (braise, grill, sautee, fry, roast, poach, etc.)
Stock
Checking for Doneness
Layering Flavor
Knowledge of Tools
Safety and Sanitation

IC - I know ... I rejected the idea of mayonnaise being a "Mother Sauce" for years because it is not a cooked sauce. But Fellows and Escoffier both recognize it as such ... and they use it as such, so who am I to argue?

Mayonnaise was not one of Escoffier's original five Mother Sauces. They were bechamel, espangole, tomato, veloute, and hollandaise.

Oh really, Iron chef?????? and how do YOU make a demi glace? The proper demi glace is made from Espagnole. which is made from Brown Stock.

didnt see any of that on your list!!!!

Now, I'm not saying a good or even great chef always makes their own, but do you REALLY think a chef doesn't need to know HOW to do that????

I think so..... :chef:

Aîoli is like a Garlic Mayonnaise -- but not quite. There are NO OTHER "aîolis" anything else is properly flavored mayonnaise. and that's fine, but flavored mayonnaises are NOT aîoli. in fact, the word aîoli is a mix-up of garlic -- ail, and olive oil.

I make my demi glace the more contemporary way: roast the veal bones, saute the aromatics (I prefer to saute them rather then roast them as they cook more evenly and there are no burn spots), then make a veal stock. I then strain the stock and reduce it by half, then fortify it with mushrooms, herbs, and little more aromatics for about 45 minutes to round off the flavor. Other than in culinary school, I have never had to make, or have never seen anyone make a traditional demi glace from espangnole. Plus, I like the flavor of a glace de veau much, much better than a demi produced from an espangnole.

With the other mother sauces, I haven't seen any contemporary kitchen or menu that uses a classic veloute or Escoffier's version of tomato sauce so while it's good to know how it's made, I don't think that it is important to be proficient in making it because there's a 99% chance that you'll never use it after culinary school.

With aiolis, I'm talking about it in a contemporary sense. I know what a classical aioli is, but in todays terms, aiolis do refer to a flavored mayonnaise so it is what it is.

While it's important to know the history of things, I believe that it's also important to become skilled at doing something that you will use more often, and that means the contemporary versions of classical sauces or other dishes.

Mostly I was not after some sort of complete A-B of cooking for chefs. Just the basic level of skills and the basic recipes you are expected to be able to cook at a basic level as a qualified chef.

I think you are getting confused between the terms "chef" and "cook". A cook can refer to anyone: a home cook, a cook in a fine dining restaurant, a short order cook in a diner, or Rachel Ray.

A chef is someone who has EARNED the title, usually by working their way up to being in charge of a restaurant kitchen. So there really is no answer because there are different types of chefs. You might be a chef at Ruby Tuesday's and not know how to make a proper lobster stock, or you might be a chef at the French Laundry and not be able to handle working the grill at a busy burger joint.

Mayonnaise was not one of Escoffier's original five Mother Sauces. They were bechamel, espangole, tomato, veloute, and hollandaise.
:) IC is right the mother sauces or as Escoffier also called them the leading sauces he classifies Mayonaise as a cold sauce.. I have Escoffier's book Basics Elements of fine Cookery. I never thought of mayo to be a mother sauce either in the book he classifies it as a cold sauce and from what I see it's a sauce that is not cooked.

Last edited:
Litterally, Chef translates from French into the American version - Chief, or head honcho if you will. A chef is much more than a cook. A great cook is what I am; and in my home, I am chef, or chief of the kitchen. In a professional sense, a chef must not only know how to prepare all of the foods under his/her care, but must also be able to stock the kitchen with all of the tools, and ingredients required to make the many dishes prepared in that kitchen. He/She must also know the skill levels of the line cooks, prep cooks, sous chefs, and even the dishwashers. He/she must be able to plan menues and organize the various kitchen workers to execture the meals in a timely manner, making sure that each person has the skills and knowledge to do the job they are supposed to do. He/she must ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen, and food safety procedures are followed. How the food looks, how it tastes, how it is presented, and even the courtesy of the wait staff is all under the auspices of the chef.

In a kitchen, the chef is like the captain of a ship. And that is a skill that comes from not only scholastic training, but from hard won experience and on-the-job-training. An interesting bit of info: in many fine eating establishments, the chef rarely cooks, but is always checking the quality of the foods prepared in his/her kitchen.

Personally, I wouldn't want the title chef. I'd like to be known as a great cook, and maybe a teacher or instructor of cullinary knowledge, and to a point, I am that, but not professionaly.

Always remember that gaining knowledge is much like climbing a mountain in that the higher you go, the further you can see. What that means is that the more you learn, the more you realize there is still so much more to learn. And that certainly applies to the wolrd of cooking, or cullinary arts.

Seeeeeeey; Goodweed of the North

Litterally, Chef translates from French into the American version - Chief, or head honcho if you will. A chef is much more than a cook. A great cook is what I am; and in my home, I am chef, or chief of the kitchen. In a professional sense, a chef must not only know how to prepare all of the foods under his/her care, but must also be able to stock the kitchen with all of the tools, and ingredients required to make the many dishes prepared in that kitchen. He/She must also know the skill levels of the line cooks, prep cooks, sous chefs, and even the dishwashers. He/she must be able to plan menues and organize the various kitchen workers to execture the meals in a timely manner, making sure that each person has the skills and knowledge to do the job they are supposed to do. He/she must ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen, and food safety procedures are followed. How the food looks, how it tastes, how it is presented, and even the courtesy of the wait staff is all under the auspices of the chef.

In a kitchen, the chef is like the captain of a ship. And that is a skill that comes from not only scholastic training, but from hard won experience and on-the-job-training. An interesting bit of info: in many fine eating establishments, the chef rarely cooks, but is always checking the quality of the foods prepared in his/her kitchen.

Personally, I wouldn't want the title chef. I'd like to be known as a great cook, and maybe a teacher or instructor of cullinary knowledge, and to a point, I am that, but not professionaly.

Always remember that gaining knowledge is much like climbing a mountain in that the higher you go, the further you can see. What that means is that the more you learn, the more you realize there is still so much more to learn. And that certainly applies to the wolrd of cooking, or cullinary arts.

Seeeeeeey; Goodweed of the North

Nice post goodweed. So I am the part time captain of my kitchen, I cooks what I cooks and if ya don't like it you can walk the plank, aye!

I agree the more you learn the more you need to learn. When I started coming here, I was cooking things like steaks, some stir fry, roasts, some pastries etc. Just the basic stuff to get by. Now I am finding new things to cook in new ways, and even trying new ingredients that I would not normally go for. It's giving me great inspiration.

My reason for this thread was to continue this inspiration to cook some more stuff that is something the basic level chef/cook should know. I did not want to start any debate over this, and cause any trouble.

I will continue learning.

Last edited:
Nice post goodweed. So I am the part time captain of my kitchen, I cooks what I cooks and if ya don't like it you can walk the plank, aye!

I agree the more you learn the more you need to learn. When I started coming here, I was cooking things like steaks, some stir fry, roasts, some pastries etc. Just the basic stuff to get by. Now I am finding new things to cook in new ways, and even trying new ingredients that I would not normally go for. It's giving me great inspiration.

My reason for this thread was to continue this inspiration to cook some more stuff that is something the basic level chef/cook should know. I did not want to start any debate over this, and cause any trouble.

I will continue learning.

"Hands off the vegemite!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That is absolutely classic! I love it. It tells me exactly who you are, ina an instant. And best of all, it made me chucle.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom