The best way to cook corn on the cob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymp03

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

As a lifelong vegetable hater who has suddenly become conscious that I am getting very little nutrition from my eating habits, I have been looking for ways to prepare veggies that might make them more appealing to me. I do recall having grilled corn on the cob a few times and genuinely enjoying it; an experience which has never been recreated by boiling it on the stove.

However, I don't have easy access to a grill. Does anyone know which method of cooking corn most closely emulates that grilled flavor? Tips about seasoning would also be most appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Hi, jenny. Welcome to DC. You will get plenty of answers to your question here. In the meantime, here's a discussion about cooking corn on the cob.

Off the top of my head, I don't have an answer for you. Be patient, others will be able to help.

There is always fried corn on the cob, but the very fact it is served in barbecue restaurants says it can't be very healthy. It is delicious, though.

corn on the cob

I really enjoy boiled corn on the cob. As long as I put lots of butter or margarine on the corn it tastes delicious, at least to me.

Sometimes you can sprinkle flavor such as chili powder or paprika to add spice to the flavor. Or use lime-chili sauce and sprinkle it on. Though this isn't for everybody.

Do you have access to a grill pan? Other than that, I would suggest steaming your corn to keep the nutritional value (vitamins), since you dont like boiled corn. I like my corn simple, with only butter and a bit of salt, no other seasonings to mask the sweet corn flavor.

Miss Jenny...Without a grill it will be hard at best to reproduce the flavor of grilled corn. In addtion to the excellent ideas already presented, you may give microwaving a try.
It is a proven method that many people enjoy.

Have Fun!!

I really love nuked corn on the cob. It doesn't taste grilled of course, but it tastes much fresher and much more flavorful than boiled corn. I do it like this - buy corn still in the shucks and then just nuke them for 4 minutes per ear. (If you are doing 3 ears, then it needs 12 minutes, 4 ears - 16 minutes etc.). You don't need to soak them or anything else. Then get them out with an oven mitt and while holding them in the mitt, use dishtowel or paper towel or something and peel off the shucks and silks. (The corn is very hot so you need protection on both hands.) They come off very easily with this method. Then season and/or butter as desired. I love this because there is no mess and in 4 minutes, you can be munching corn! HTH

Thanks everyone! You've all given me some interesting ideas.

The fried corn sounds delicious. As a Southerner, I pretty much like anything fried... :) The microwave method sounds interesting and simple, so I'll try it next and see how it goes. I never knew you could microwave corn!

You can also wrap it in aluminium foil and bake it in the oven or put it on the bbq (in foil). Boiling is pretty fast and easy but it can lose a bit of flavour, so butter and salt are great additives although not terribly good for you!

I really enjoy corn on the cob done in the oven under the broiler. Put the corn on a sheet pan, put the rack on the setting closest to the broiler. It's done when the kernels just start to blacken. I don't have a grill, so this is how I make roasted corn.

I really enjoy corn on the cob done in the oven under the broiler. Put the corn on a sheet pan, put the rack on the setting closest to the broiler. It's done when the kernels just start to blacken. I don't have a grill, so this is how I make roasted corn.
I've never tried this way but I will tonight. It sounds wonderful. Do you brush it with butter or oil or anything first?

I usually save the butter and seasonings until after it's cooked. I've never had any problems with sticking either, so no need for oil. You may want to use aluminum foil to make clean-up easier.

I probably don't need to bother saying this, but make sure you turn the corn so as to cook it on all sides.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom