"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

The Deli Counter - How to get what you want.

I had this happen to me now on several occasions and I never seem to catch this in time.

For the most part, I'm not very picky about what part my deli meat is shaved from. I usually like most sliced very thin or shaved. When it comes to prosciutto, I keep getting stuck with the butt of the meat. The very last little bit which I tend not to like.

Since I snack on prosciutto, I tend to order almost paper thin slices and would prefer to have a bit of marbeling in the slices. When you get to the but end, it is not as tender and usually lacks the marbeling.

Is it out of place for me to ask them to start on a new clod? Or maybe just ask to see the meat and only order if it suits me?

How do you folks handle your deli orders?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Tell them what you want, and demand nothing less. If they give you any flack, ask to speak to a manager....It's really that easy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Head Chef

When ordering ham or anything that would have a marbling in it, I ask to see it first. Then I decide if I want it or not.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
If you're going to pay for it ... you have the right to get what you want.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

I always ASK, nicely thank you, for what I want. I'm picky too and won't settle for anything less than the best. When it comes to prosciutto, most good delis will sell the last of the butt pieces as they are or chop them up for use in soups or other dishes not calling for thinly sliced prosciutto. Usually they sell this piece at half price. They shouldn't be cutting slices from the end, so ask them to start a new one. You are paying and paying dearly for this product so you deserve what you want.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Sous Chef

We used to have a person on the deli at my local supermarket that was great and working there since I had moved into this town and I imagine quiet a while before that. He would walk you through your order so you knew exactly what you were getting and many times I learned a good bit of information by asking questions of him. Since then he has retired and there is someone new behind the counter everytime I get there. So what I have to do many times is ask the questions like the other counter guy used to ask me and kind of motivate them to getting my order closer to what I was expecting. Some of them now are working a little better with me and I even notice them asking questions to other customers so I guess it will take time but I will keep plugging away at them. That old phrase you don't know what you have until its gone comes to mind. I really am very appreciative when I get great customer service. I will even put them down on my Christams card list if they are that good.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks all... I realize how stupid it was of me to even start this thread. Like DUH... hellooooooo! I'm paying for it, why settle for something inferior???
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Head Chef

Definitely NOT stupid..... but if it were me, I'd ask for what I wanted and thats that. As long as you ask nicely, they should not have a problem. That is their job.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i always check to see what hunk o' meat they're about to slice my order from. if it's down to the last 1/3rd or less, i make sure to ask them to start a new hunk.

occasionally, i get flak from the deli person, but most of the time they just do as asked. it's rare that i have to ask for the manager, as uncle bob says. if they still argue, i lick what they've given me then hand it back, saying that i don't want it anymore.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Sous Chef

DQ just reminded me of another good point, you can get ends for half price, I buy these when I don't need the very best cold cuts, like in a soup for instance. Thanks DQ!