The Dying Dozen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to buy a 5 pound package of quarter pound dogs from Pearl Country Klub. Very consistent, 20 hot dogs of a quarter pound each equals five pounds. They were terrific but finding a proper bun was difficult so I switched to their smaller version (half the size) so I could use a regular bun. The smaller package has six dogs in it.

Mnufacturers all over have cut the quantities down. Best Foods (Helman's) mayo used to be 32 ounces, and is now 30 ounces.
I will not even address the shrinkage in the size and sheet count in TP rolls

Last edited:
I’ve run across this countless times at work, and the reason I even notice is because the weight changes are almost always reflected in the bar code, but customers order by weight, usually what it used to weigh. For instance, if Heinz Ketchup used to weigh 12 oz, that’s the size the customer will order. But Heinz May have downsized the ketchup,weight to 11.5 oz, so the customer’s request and the actual product info differs, and I’ve got to fiddle with the app to get the two to mesh. PITA

I've always seen the "standard" package of hot dog wieners 8 to a pack. That's anything from Oscar Mayer to Ball Park to any of the cheaper local brands. I also see some in smaller packaging, but don't buy them so I haven't really paid attention. I do wish that any grocery stores around here had the big dogs that I get when I play golf. There are about 100 different hot dogs and brat/sausage shaped offerings, but all seem to be about the same size as a basic hot dog. We don't have much to choose from here for grocery stores.

A coupld of brands at Walmart also offer a family pack of either 16 or 20, I get 16 Ball Park or 20 Bar S franks, then split them up and freeze them in smaller packs.

For just the two of us, I break them down to three in a pack. Two for Pirate and one for me. This is one time I will eat one with a bun, providing it has been buttered liberally and toasted on both sides.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom