"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

For oils, we use grapeseed mostly, then evoo or regular olive oil, canola, peanut, and sesame, in descending order.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Big fan of the flavour from fat here. We use mostly olive oil or butter. That litre bottle of evoo doesn't go off if we use it all the time. We also use bacon fat,, lard, coconut oil, sesame oil and corn oil, but not nearly as often as olive oil or butter.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
We use a pound of butter a month, I also love potatoes in duck fat about once a month..mostly olive oil around here, too..I do prefer rib eye over other beef cuts and don't leave a bit of it on my plate...and then there is sausage..I've tried to cut fat from home made sausages but the finished result is inferior IMHO..Canola for frying every so often...I'll filter it and store it in the freezer...
Yep, we tried that the first time we made sausage...yuck!

We use butter, olive and vege oils, occasionally grapeseed, duck fat on rare occasions, lard (leaf or regular depending on the use), bacon and rendered chicken fat in a few chicken based dishes. Mostly the first 3 though.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yeah, I have had that problem with homemade sausage. If there isn't enough fat it tends to be dry and not as flavourful as with enough fat.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I probably use more canola, for stir fry, and the usual sautÚs, followed closely by EVOO. I don't use as much butter as I used to - most of it in sweets I don't make as much by a long shot. But I do keep some ghee in a pint mason jar in the fridge, not only for that Indian food I make a lot, but I use it to cook a lot of things when I like that browned butter flavor. I also use coconut oil, for SE Asian cooking, and often for southern Indian cooking, when the coconut flavor is appropriate. I keep a small bottle of mustard seed oil in the fridge, which I use occasionally in some Indian and Nepal cooking. And I keep some Kadoya sesame oil for seasoning Chinese food.

I have tried to reduce the fat I use in a lot of things, but with some things, like those Christmas cookies and other sweets, there is simply no replacement for all that butter!

Back when I started grinding my own meat, I discovered how much fat must be in that crap I was buying in the stores. The early cookbooks I got said to be sure to add 10-15% of the trimmed off fat back into the meat, with 90-85% red meat, before grinding. So, when I put 10% into the meat, and browned the ground meat to make chili or something like that, no fat would cook out! When I increased it to 15%, I'd get a couple tb after the browning. Yet, when I browned some of that "lean 93%" hamburger, 1/2-3/4 cup of fat cooked out. Granted, that fat trimmed off, and added into the red meat, also has some water in it, but the red meat also has fat. So I wonder how accurate those fat percentages listed really are.

Sausage definitely needs the fat, not only left in the meat, but added to it. I used to make a lot more, and I'd freeze the trimmings from other things, then add to the meat, when grinding sausage.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

NZ is huge on dairy export, a pound of butter here is around $5. We don't and will not use margarine. I cook with ghee (clarified butter, high temp) and vegetable oil for deep frying. And also extra virgin olive oil.

We love butter.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #17
Master Chef

Emeril also said "Pork fat rules!" Got to agree. Can't make Carnitas or tamales that taste best without lard! Pie crusts also.

Tags
fat, kitchen