"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Master Chef

The Fat Kitchen

Fat..so good and so bad...we all use them..they can make a meal, or they can ruin a meal..what kind of fats do you use in your kitchen on a regular basis? And, how?

I don't shy away from them when I do eat them, but I also like to regulate and minimize it when I can..are you totally against them, or do you welcome their qualities in given meals?

Let's get greasy!

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The only animal fat I use with any frequency is butter. I love butter! We don’t eat much bacon, but when we do have some, I’ll use the rendered fat to cook some potatoes. Otherwise, plant-based oils are my usual, with olive oil being the front runner by far.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

We use a pound of butter a month, I also love potatoes in duck fat about once a month..mostly olive oil around here, too..I do prefer rib eye over other beef cuts and don't leave a bit of it on my plate...and then there is sausage..I've tried to cut fat from home made sausages but the finished result is inferior IMHO..Canola for frying every so often...I'll filter it and store it in the freezer...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

"FAT IS FLAVOR!" - Emeril Legasse

I don't shy away either.

Real butter for baking, spreading, cooking.
Several different oils-mostly olive and corn. I deep fry in corn oil as it has a high smoke point and is cheap.
Bacon fat for breakfast cooking.
Shortening where called for in baking, etc.
Pancetta

I stay away from really lean costs of beef such as the round. I prefer ribeyes for steaks and roasts. Chuck is one of the most versatile cuts on the steer. Nice fat to lean ratio and braises nicely.

For pork, I go with the shoulder (butt) a lot and loin sometimes (and bacon, of course).
Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

When I get home later, I'm going to cut away the remaining meat and fat from a ham bone, then use some of the fat by rendering it to sweat veggies before adding them to a crock pot to make pea soup (along with the bone and meat).

The remaining white, solid fat will be frozen for similar use in other soups in the future.

I would love to make some salo out of it one day. If done right, the little cubes of salty fat melt in your mouth. What a treat.

I used to save bacon and duck grease, but my wife says no weird stuff in the fridge.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

As far as butter goes, we have an ongoing debate in my house as to which is better: Plugra Polish style butter, or Kerrygold Irish butter.

I'd love to get my hands on some French butter for a comparison.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not afraid of fat, either. I grew up in Michigan where corn oil was the thing to cook with. I learned from a Chinese cookbook to use peanut oil with Chinese food and I was surprised to find that my stir-fries finally tasted authentic. So now I use the right fat for the right dish.

I mostly use olive or canola oil for cooking, along with butter. I use peanut oil for Asian food, lard for pie crust and duck and chicken fat for potatoes. DH likes an English muffin and yogurt for breakfast, so we always have a stick of butter on the counter. Here in the South, I can get a gallon container of mild peanut oil for deep frying, although I rarely do that.

I like New York strip better than ribeye; I like beef fat, but I like the crispy edges, not big gobs of it inside the meat. The big pieces of fat in the prime rib we had for Christmas became a special treat for the dog. I don't use the round much, either. We love braised meats.

I do try to limit our fat intake to an extent - I make tomato-based sauces for pasta much more often than dairy sauces and I use half and half instead of cream because we always have it in the house (DH uses it in his coffee, so we buy it by the quart).
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Butter, lard, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, bacon grease, beef fat, sesame oil.

I embrace fat and avoid most vegetable oils.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with GG about using peanut oil for Asian cooking. I think it makes a huge difference.
I mostly use butter and/or olive oil for general cooking along with vegetable oil and also bacon fat when appropriate.

I prefer chicken thighs to breasts because of the fat factor, and fatty beef and pork to lean. Fat is flavor.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

roughly in the order of use in my kitchen;

butter
canola oil
olive oil
bacon fat
lard

Tags
fat, kitchen