"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

I follow the rule. If I'm too slow, I just count slower, especially if no one's looking.

When we had kids in highchairs and a dog, he would camp under the highchair and saved us a lot of time and effort in cleanup after dinner.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
Master Chef

Site Administrator

For me it just depends on what it is and how well the cats have been shedding lately.

What's the time limit on something dropped into food? This morning the girl dropped some of my change into my coffee. The look on her face was great, and she just got me another cup of coffee.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Mostly I use it for dry food or food that can be rinsed, but if it's something really good that's moist but can be brushed off, I make exceptions. We have no pets and take our shoes off at the door. I only use the rule at home, not in public places.
When my daughter was first crawling, like most babies, she put everything in her mouth. I even saw her licking the carpet once or twice. The way I see it, my immune system is far more advanced than hers was, so if she survived it along with millions of other babies, I will too. Though I agree, I would never serve something to a guest that I dropped on the floor unless it's something like the example of a whole roast (then they get fair warning). If I dropped it, I'm eating it.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
For me it just depends on what it is and how well the cats have been shedding lately.

What's the time limit on something dropped into food? This morning the girl dropped some of my change into my coffee. The look on her face was great, and she just got me another cup of coffee.
Did you get your change back?

I'm pretty much like most of you. If I am at home, it is just for me, and it can be wiped or rinsed off I will eat it. I probably swallow a ton of cat and dog hair when I'm sleeping (eww!), but I won't knowingly eat it!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #25
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Did you get your change back?

Actually, no. Mind you it was just a couple of pennies and the look on her face was worth the price of admission.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #26
Everymom

I just beat the dog out in a race for a piece of bacon I dropped. HA! I mean come on...BACON! He was mighty ticked at me and stomped off to his bed. Heh heh heh.

Barbara, I don't even want to contemplate the amount of pet hair I've ingested in my lifetime.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #27
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Barbara, I don't even want to contemplate the amount of pet hair I've ingested in my lifetime.
It just adds that je ne sais quoi...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
It just adds that je ne sais quoi...
Indeed it does! I think perhaps we should do a GCC Pet Hair challenge!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
Certified Cake Maniac

I used to observe it until culinary school. No, they didn't teach us how bad it was, quite the opposite.

In the restaurant kitchen a tray of prepped chicken Parmesan fell face down on the kitchen floor. Chef picked the tray up, threw all the chicken back on it and barked orders to fill in any coating problems and add new eggplant and cheese.

And no, I was on the vegetable station that day so it wasn't me!

Even though we have the kitchen blocked off from the dogs, I still don't use the 5 second rule, though if a raw veggie falls I will thoroughly wash it off and stick it in the pot!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I just beat the dog out in a race for a piece of bacon I dropped. HA! I mean come on...BACON! He was mighty ticked at me and stomped off to his bed. Heh heh heh.

Bacon cooking smells so good, that we have a rule at our house. You aren't allowed to cook bacon unless you cook enough for everyone to at least get a taste, four legged friends included. Weirdo Shreddy (my cat) doesn't like "people food", even bacon! -