"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I really had never been around cats until I met Karen. She had this DLH named Mitty (short for Mitzubishi). I don't remember what I was making, but I was peeling and deveining some shrimp at the kitchen sink, when Mitty jumps onto the kitchen counter. Mind you she has full armour. Didn't get the chance to apply the "rule". In the blink of an eye this cat snags a U-10 out of my hand! Before my shock was over, she had most of it gone.

Craig

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I really had never been around cats until I met Karen. She had this DLH named Mitty (short for Mitzubishi). I don't remember what I was making, but I was peeling and deveining some shrimp at the kitchen sink, when Mitty jumps onto the kitchen counter. Mind you she has full armour. Didn't get the chance to apply the "rule". In the blink of an eye this cat snags a U-10 out of my hand! Before my shock was over, she had most of it gone.

Craig
I have to hide behind a door to get any chicken or pastrami, Latte' really likes pastrami. I have to watch my food every step of the way! She's much faster than I am.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
Head Chef

I never heard of the "5 second rule" until a few years ago. A friend and her toddler were having Spaghetti with me one night and he dropped his fork. She asked me if "I" had the 5 second rule in my house, as if I did she would have given that fork back to her baby. After she explained it to me I got up and got that child a clean fork.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #34
Master Chef

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAT IT.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	10591  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have to hide behind a door to get any chicken or pastrami, Latte' really likes pastrami. I have to watch my food every step of the way! She's much faster than I am.
We had a cat, Mr. Frodo, who would practically go into your mouth to try to get chicken!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We had a cat, Mr. Frodo, who would practically go into your mouth to try to get chicken!
The only reason Latte' can't help herself to butter is...she doesn't have opposable thumbs.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I just beat the dog
omg, that's terrible!!!

lol.

there no real time limit here, i guess. 2 or 3 seconds tops, but that depends on how moist and/or washable something is. also, where it dropped and how hard or soft the food is.

lots of individual variables.

for instance something like a hard boiled egg is washable, but if it falls hard on a surface, bits of dirt might get pushed into the soft white and you get that tooth cracking crunch later on. yummy. and we ate many meals on the beach. i could probably poop out a sand castle if i wanted.

my mom used to say that we'd eaten whole animals worth of hair in our lifetimes, and we were only kids at the time.

i wonder what more"primitive" people in africa and australia think about the 5 second rule as they cook their food without removing hair, directly on the logs of the fire?

lol, or the burning dung.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #38
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
and we ate many meals on the beach. i could probably poop out a sand castle if i wanted.
Well that's a talent you don't see every day. If you ever try make sure someone has a camera!

roadfix, OMG, I LOVE that flow chart. Perfect.

I will also admit to dropping a steak on the grass in front of the grill, brushing off the grass bits, etc and slapping on the BBQ and noting it will be "mine". (Incidentally for anyone keeping track, the BBQ is nowhere near the dog's biffy )

I feel like sending out an invite to dinner now and watching everyone's faces turn a bit green! LOL
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Great flowchart!

I don't know about the raw steak. if nothing is embedded and can't be wiped off, why not. It's going to be cooked, which would kill anything that got on it. Raw ground beef on the other hand ...

I hope everyone knows that they can click the pic to see a bigger version of the flowchart. (Old fogeys like me need the bigger version to read it.)
Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #40
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Great flowchart!

I don't know about the raw steak. if nothing is embedded and can't be wiped off, why not. It's going to be cooked, which would kill anything that got on it. Raw ground beef on the other hand ...

Cooked could be a matter of debate...

I am, generally, in the very very rare category with mine...