"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
I'd say no more than a couple of minutes. I've been in situations where one person's food has come out late and that's always awkward.

Fearless Kitchen
Fearless Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I went out to eat a few years ago with my parents, sister, brother, their families, and an aunt. 13 people in all, and they sent two waiters out so we all were served within I'd guess less than 2 minutes. By the time you helped yourself to the butter, sauces, salt and pepper, everyone had their plate so it wasn't awkward.
We thought that was excellent service, and so the waiters got a rather larger than usual tip that night.

A forum is but a forum; the people make it a family.
Erinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #13
Master Chef
I have on occasion been to a restaurant where one person ordered something that took a long time to prepare. The waiter actually asked about the timing (i.e., did we all want our food to arrive at the same time, or did the person ordering the longer-taking preparation just want to eat a little later). Interesting. But usually when these things happen it isn't about the preparation time, just bad coordination in the kitchen or among the wait staff. Often, with my group, it is because someone orders an appetizer as their main course. Usually we try to make it plain that we want that person served it as the rest of us are served our main course. More and more lately there is just too darned much food, and that appetizer is plenty of food. But when there is a bunch of us, it can get confused.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I simply read it as a question with no ill intentions read between the lines.
I said nothing about "ill intentions." I asked about his/her motives, that's all.
JoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Should be no longer than it takes to get back to the kitchen and get the other plates.
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Sous Chef
I used to live in Germany (actually was living there when I first joined here). They bring out the meals as the are completed in the kitchen, so often they did not come out all at the same time. I grew to prefer this because your meal was always piping hot.
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
Head Chef
Having worked in restaurants, I am well aware of the challenge involved in getting everyone's meal ready to serve at exactly the same time...when this works for a large party, it is the chef who deserves the kudos/tip, not necessarily the wait staff. Here in Mexico, it must be alot like Germany (well, that may be the ONLY thing they have in common). Except in very high-end restaurants, the food is served as it is ready, and the person served first may be finished with his/her meal before the last person gets served. Considering the courtesies we grew up with, that means a very cold meal for someone - LOL.

Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote