The last of the herb garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
We've had some frosts, but I do still have some herbs that have not perished. Mostly parsley and rosemary (and I'm sure the rosemary will last another month or so) is what I have left. I made a nice potato dish last night. Does anyone else have anything fresh they are still using?

Last edited:
Nope. Covered in snow here, and the frosts came about a month or two ago and killed everything...even the stuff I covered!

I think there's about a foot of snow out there, at least that is what is up against the windows. I might go out later and see if I have to dig out the car, snowplow always buries it.

I still have parsley, chives, and green onion tops, under an inch of melting snow. It's supposed to warm up here with some rainy periods through Friday. When it gets a little warmer I'll pick the rest of the outdoor parsley and see if the chives and onions are still usable.

Here in Missouri, rosemary has to come indoors for the winter, so I've always got that. I used sage from the garden for my turkey. Garlic chives and regular chives are still green, there is still some peppermint, but most everything else is gone.

Here in Missouri, rosemary has to come indoors for the winter, so I've always got that. I used sage from the garden for my turkey. Garlic chives and regular chives are still green, there is still some peppermint, but most everything else is gone.

Everything that's still green now will stay green until spring :LOL: When I first came to Canada I was surprised to see green grass when the snow melted. It didn't turn brown until it thawed out.

I have two Rosemary bushes that I harvest from all year. I am still picking oregano, sage and thyme from my outdoor pots. I also have thyme, parsley, chives, and some basil in pots in my greenhhouse. I'm not sure how much longer the basil will last but the others should last through the winter, as long as I remember to water them. :(

I keep carrots covered in the ground all winter. Up until last night, I still had celery. Yesterday I uncovered it and forgot to recover it for last night. It was 19*F this morning and I know it is dead:(. I didn't have the energy to go see it today. I still have cabbage and broccoli I am harvesting, and parsley.

I keep carrots covered in the ground all winter. Up until last night, I still had celery. Yesterday I uncovered it and forgot to recover it for last night. It was 19*F this morning and I know it is dead:(. I didn't have the energy to go see it today. I still have cabbage and broccoli I am harvesting, and parsley.

Lots of celery for the vegi stock ;)

I have two Rosemary bushes that I harvest from all year. I am still picking oregano, sage and thyme from my outdoor pots. I also have thyme, parsley, chives, and some basil in pots in my greenhhouse. I'm not sure how much longer the basil will last but the others should last through the winter, as long as I remember to water them. :(
I echo this entirely but no greenhouse...all outdoors...otherwise, same story here. Except I just lost about half of my basil to an early morning frost. Haven't checked out my thyme since my daughter heavily pruned it for a frilly decorative wreath around the Thanksgiving Turkey...oh well, that was her "dish" this year...I had to let go and let my kids be creative...it was time they learned the ropes and losing an abundance of thyme was worth it. I do love 'em :wub:

- 7 o celcius here last night, I love it because it kill a lot of the garden pests, we had the best crops this year, very few bugs, last winter was the coldest for a long long time -18oc.

I didn't check the weahter forecast last night. It dropped down to 30 F and I didn't turn on the heater in the greenhouse before I went to bed. I'm sure the basil is lost. I won't know until the sun comes up.

Oh, I envy those of you with greenhouses. <sigh> "One of these days, maybe..." she muses. ;) (Actually, with the amount of room we have, if I do anything it will be to get chickens, not put in a green house.)

But those of you in the warm states can keep all that! I love me some wonderfully cold winter weather. I'll give up fresh herbs and veggies year-round for the snow and cold.

I'm going to harvest the last of my herbs today and use up what I can and take some in to work if others want to use them. I wish I could over-winter vegetables this year, but because of a home improvement project, I had to use a community garden plot this year instead of my own backyard garden... and they won't let you leave anything in the ground at the community garden even if you're planning to use the same space next year. :unhappy:

I loved seeing them on tv years ago. They were so down to earth in their practices and so helpful. They are the very reason I began composting. They had several methods that were easy for anyone without spending on stuff that may or may not work. I'll try to get the books - although their location is as far north as ours is south.

Check out these

Flowerhouses.com - Self Erecting Portable Greenhouses And Garden Furniture

The Farmhouse is the model I started out with a few year ago (it was named something else then but that was the size). It worked great and I used one of those radiator-shapped electric heaters in it during the winter. Since it is collapsable you cannot leave it up all year with out builing a support frame ( I learned that the hard way).

I grew lettuce, spinach and kept my herbs and also my geraniums in it all winter. They are great little greenhouses.

Oh, I envy those of you with greenhouses. <sigh> "One of these days, maybe..." she muses. ;) (Actually, with the amount of room we have, if I do anything it will be to get chickens, not put in a green house.)

But those of you in the warm states can keep all that! I love me some wonderfully cold winter weather. I'll give up fresh herbs and veggies year-round for the snow and cold.

Back
Top Bottom