"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior Cook

the "nutty" taste of pan-toasted, sliced garlic

does anyone know where i can find instructions, written or video, on exactly how to toast sliced garlic?

this technique apparently brings out the super delicious nutty taste of garlic, but apparently, it is also very hard to do.

any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Here is a recipe that we enjoy. The part about the toasted garlic is in bold.
Skillet Browned Broccoli with Pan Toasted Garlic

3 large broccoli stems with stem end attached
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Coarse sea salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. thinly sliced garlic cloves

Directions

1. Preheat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Slice broccoli heads lengthwise in a 1-inch-thick slices, cutting from the bottom of the stem through the crown to preserve the shape of the broccoli (reserve any florets that fall away for another use). Brush both sides of each broccoli slice with some of the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Place half of the slices in the heated skillet and set a heavy medium skillet on the slices to press them to the cast-iron skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well browned. Turn slices and cook second side for 3 to 4 minutes more or until browned (for more tender broccoli, cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side). Repeat with remaining broccoli slices. Transfer to a warm platter, cover, and keep warm.
3. Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the hot skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic slices. Cook garlic, stirring gently and constantly for 2 minutes or until the slices are lightly browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange broccoli on serving platter. Sprinkle the toasted garlic slices over broccoli. Makes 8 servings.
Keep cooked broccoli slices warm in a 300 degree F oven or cover with foil while the remaining broccoli cooks.
When buying garlic, look for firm and plump bulbs with dry papery skins. Garlic can be stored up to several months in a cool, dark, dry place, such as an open brown bag in the pantry. Keep the bulbs whole because individual cloves dry out more quickly. Toasting sliced garlic makes it sharp and flavorful. Be sure to stir constantly so the slices do not burn.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Head Chef

I love broccoli that way--I add a chopped sweet onion to the broccoli as I cook it.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Cook

Asian method... place your sliced your garlic in cooking oil and slowly cook it untill lightly brown. You can either use the oil as garlic oil or use the garlic as garnishes.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Senior Cook

There is an Italian place (Johnny Carino's maybe) that serves olive oil with their bread. In the oil are little pieces of brown, crunchy garlic....it is to die for! Love it that way. I don't know how to make it, but would love to learn.

I suppose there is a fine line between perfect and burnt when browning garlic.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
There is an Italian place (Johnny Carino's maybe) that serves olive oil with their bread. In the oil are little pieces of brown, crunchy garlic....it is to die for! Love it that way. I don't know how to make it, but would love to learn.

I suppose there is a fine line between perfect and burnt when browning garlic.
I go to Johnny Carino's for the bread and oil and the Tiramisu...carb loading!