"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I recall watching Alton Brown's "Road Tasted" motorcycle trip up the Mississippi river valley, and after reaching Minnesota, they tried Lutefisk, which no one could stomach! But, it was funny watching them try!
Nasty, nasty stuff.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

lutefisk is a dare food. all nationalities have them, this is the norsk variety.

i happen to like it, btw, along with fiskeboller.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When I lived in MN, when I was in HS, I was on a ski team--we'd stop in Duluth and eat--one of the "items" on the menu was fried frog legs--I loved them. But, I doubt I would ever think of cooking them...don't know if I could eat them now! Hormones (okay guys, that's menopause--taste buds change!).
Isn't that the truth. But why did my aversion have to be watermelon and cucumbers? I keep trying to love them the way I did. Why couldn't it be potato chips or something fattening?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Although I never dove off of So. Calif., my good friend did, and after wrapping the abalone in saran wrap and aluminum foil, we'd lay it on the asphalt and drive over it with a pickup truck several times in order to tenderize it... and it worked!
Abalone was one of my early cooking experiments. We got it off some cliffs at Vandenberg AFB. I pounded the living daylights out of it and tried to turn it into a chowder. It was fish-flavored rubber bands (I think I didn't realize exactly how much pounding would be involved ... maybe I was too gentle). I'm not sure if I've had it since! For toughness, it was pretty darned close to the time I tried to cook beef heart (another high school attempt!).
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #35
Sous Chef

This may not sound that strange to a lot of people, but my husband once told me that he wanted chicken cooked in strawberries. I've had chicken with fresh fruit in salads many times and always love it, but for some reason I couldn't get my brain to mix the flavors of chicken and warm strawberries. He finally bugged me enough that I gave it a try. Not wanting to waste good fresh strawberries, I mashed up thawed frozen strawberries with lime, cilantro, a touch of sugar and salt. I cut some chicken breast into thin strips, lightly salted it, browned it, then added the strawberry sauce for the last minute or so of cooking until it was warm and the chicken was cooked through. I served it in whole wheat pitas. I think we used shredded romaine in them, too. We both loved it! I'm not sure why I couldn't get my brain to like the combination before I actually made it, but it turned out great!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dad's CO on Guam was a fisherman and whatever he caught my Mother would cook and he would join us for dinner. If I understand the story correctly, he got back late and put the barracuda he caught on the air conditioner so he wouldn't wake us up. He called Mom around noon the next day and told her about it.

Mom called Dad and told him the fish smelled horrible. My parents, teenagers from Wyoming, didn't know anything about fish, unless it was a trout. Dad told Mom to cook it anyway. I still remember the taste of the one bite I took...I was 4 years old. Dad's CO was the only person to eat that fish.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...I was 4 years old. Dad's CO was the only person to eat that fish.
Yuck!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #38
Senior Cook

I just smoked some frog legs yesterday, I loved them. Wife wouldn't try them, kids said it was too fishy. Bunch of Nancy's!

I've also smoked beef heart and tounge. Kids liked both of those.

I like try'n the "odd" stuff, never know what you'll like. I now will pick frog legs over chicken wings any day.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Yuck!!!!
If I see Barracuda on a nature show, I can smell and taste it...still!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #40
Master Chef

I cooked caribou once...it's in the venison family, but has a little sweeter taste than deer.