The one spice you just don't like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Favorite = lemon thyme. It's so subtle and elegant...*sigh*
Least favorite = epazote. Evil stuff--charred rubber tires with an attitude. Yuk!

My mom loves coriander seed - she always puts it in her stews and hot pots. I just can't eat it. She takes this as a personal rejection!!!

That would be mint, though it's an herb. I hate all mints. I dislike them so much that I get nauseated after after consuming them. I was so happy when someone finally came out with a toothpaste that wasn't "minty fresh".

I'm not fond of licorice either, which makes anise a spice that I have to use very carefully. Use the right amount and it truly enhances oriental stir-fries. Use too much and it ruins them.

And for it's exhorbitant price, saffron tastes to me like tobaco smells. And because of my Dad's smoking habits when I was young (think two to three cigarretes smoked in a three mile distance, whle driving 25 miles per hour, with all windows rolled up in winter, and me pleading to roll down a window for fresh air, and you'll begin to understand) I'm not fond of that flavor/odor either.

After that, I adore most other food, spice, and herb flavors and aromas.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second the call on caraway. There are actually a lot that I don't like. My mother cooks with about as many spices as you'll find in a waffle recipe ;-) so I never got accustomed to them when I was growing up. Now I use a ton of spices but there are still a good handfull I just can't stand! Anise, nutmeg, allspice, licorice... for a few!

Curry!! GAWD the smell makes me wanna puke....I lived with an East Indian family(I think) when I was pregnant with my first...OMG I tell ya I can not fathom being in the same room that is!!

I hate the taste of tarragon. Once I made a tarragon chicken and it was horrible. On the other hand I love cilantro and garlic, but my boyfriend just hates those two... What can I do? He says he likes garlic if you cannot taste it... but then what do I do with garlic shrimp?

There's not really much that I don't like. An excess of Cardamom tastes bitter to me, but there's only a few recipes I use that in. I don't mind the taste of licorice, as long as it isn't to strong. I love cilantro, cumin, cloves, etc.

PeppA, my other half, does NOT like cloves, nutmeg, etc. I think it's because her Mom doesn't use a lot of seasonings in her cooking.

Used in the right foods, and in the right amounts, I can't think of any that I don't like. Too much of most spices is bitter. Some spices, and herbs, go better with certain foods, so that can make a difference too. My husband says he doesn't like cumin, but he likes the things I have made with it. His ex cooked everything with a "ton" of cumin, which turned him off of it. I don't use it very often. Cilantro is one that I had to learn to like. I like it now if it is used sparingly.

:) Barbara

Barbara, that is so true. I always add thyme to chicken. They just go together. Also, cumin, to me, is indispensable in Mexican, along with chiles. Basil was just made for tomatoes.

Chinese five spice powder. I tried it once. I imagine that's what gunpowder tastes like. Never again! :(

Last edited:
Nutmeg. Tastes revolting in anything. Yuck! I love pretty much everything else. Although, I must admit, I can never taste if I leave out the parsley. Is there really a reason for cooking with it? I made a delicious white wine and garlic sauce for prawns on the weekend, and it was supposed to have parsley in it. The green would have looked beautiful on the pink (if I remembered to buy any), but would it in any way have altered the taste?

For some reason I hate the taste of cinnamon in savory foods. I only like it in cakes and cookies and with sugar to sprinkle on velvet and rice puddings. I can just barely stand it in chai if it isn't dominating.

Cumin, cilantro, rosemary and oregano in too large doses can ruin food for me, but I like them all when balanced with other herbs/spices.

There is a spice or herb that I have tasted more than once in creamy, tomato based seafood soups that makes the soup taste slightly burned. I have no idea what it is, but it is disgusting.

Cardamom

AllenMI said:
There's not really much that I don't like. An excess of Cardamom tastes bitter to me, but there's only a few recipes I use that in. I don't mind the taste of licorice, as long as it isn't to strong. I love cilantro, cumin, cloves, etc.

PeppA, my other half, does NOT like cloves, nutmeg, etc. I think it's because her Mom doesn't use a lot of seasonings in her cooking.

Could someone describe the taste of Cardamom? One recipe called for it and was over $11 so I just left it out but often wonder what would it have tasted like. Thanks

Also they have all their spices on sale this week. Could someone suggest some I should buy that normally costs over $5 that I should try to buy. I do like to get things at lower price.

Back
Top Bottom