"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I kinda dislike clove, people almost always overuse it.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:50 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I agree with Michael - you can't substitute cumin with anything. Just leave it out if you don't like it. Chili powder is chili powder - I guess it could work - but like Michael said try adding less than the recipe calls for if you have "issues" with it. Personally, I can't get enough cumin. But don't make me smell it on its own - peeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww - stinky feet! LOL
Yep, you got that right. Cumin and Chili powder are my least favorites, but I do use them in moderation. A few months ago I made a recipe blend for curry and garam masala. Toasted and ground. For 24 hours my house smelled like a foot locker.

I love all spices and herbs but some more than others. I have found that some recipes overdose on cinnamon. When I was growing up, many years ago, cinnamon and nutmeg and pepper, were the only ones in my mothers cupboard. Maybe poultry spice and clove.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i have not tasted a spice i don't like, so far.

luvs, do you mean dried rosemary? when it is dried, it has that "needle" effect in food. i will grind it in a mortar and pestle if the recipe calls for it dried.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Juniper berries.I just can not stand the flavor at all.

Thank goodness they aren't used very often in recipes.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:31 AM   #35
Senior Cook

As much as i love Italian food and cooking it, i cant stand orgeano.

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:19 AM   #36
Executive Chef

I thought I had posted in this thread - but couldn't find it. I don't like fennel. It is sometimes overwhelming in Italian sausage. If there is only a small bit, that is fine - but I really don't like a pronounced "fennel" taste.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #37
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I can NOT stand anything that the East Indians?(not sure if that's what they really are...no offense to anyone by ANY means!!!) I believe it's curry and allspice!

I was living with this family when I was in college and I loved their cooking....until I became pregnant and now just the thought of it makes me want to gag.....not the food it's self but the smell of it!

Once again I mean NO offense to ANYONE!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:46 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

icky and yummy spices & herbs

I agree with some...it's Cumin I don't like. I've tried ground, roasting the whole seeds, etc. I just hate it. I'm going to thrown mine away.

On the other hand...I love Fennel seed. I always put it into spaghetti & lasagna.

I love cilantro, and crave it. I can understand how others don't like it though. Once I grew a nice long row of of it and it was thick and beautiful...I thought it stunk so bad it made me sick. Now I adore it in Mexican & Thai dishes.

Luv different flavors of peppercorns, and the 4-pepper mix.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #39

Clove -- we won't talk about the "double whammie" of clove cigarettes.

Clove . . . to the point that recipes calling for "clove of garlic" put me off when I see the "clove" and only bring me back into a balanced kharma when I see "garlic."

Why don't they call it a pod of garlic?

When I was in the Army (Daphne DuLibre is a pun on a classic European bike race. I'm a guy.) When I was in the Army, the cooks prepared ham with clove and pineapple.

Ick. The most huge aesthetic mistake of the 20th Century is pineapple on pizza. I like pineapple, but not with ham, especially not with ham on pizza.

Anyway, ham with clove and pineapple. I'm not alone. The cooks in the mess hall would prepare a ham for us without the clove, without the pineapple. And it always got eaten.

I'm not a fussy eater, but I don't care for nutmeg and leave it out of recipes. Caraway seed, nahhhhhhhh. And please omit the celery seed in my cole slaw -- It tastes bitter.

But cumin . . . Jeez. I like to open the bottle and take a whiff just because I'm in the cupboard. Sometimes I take a whiff for "inspiration" (which literally means "take a whiff) -- inspiration for coming up with something for dinner. I add cumin to my Pace Piquante . . .
Old 08-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Gonna have to join the club and say it's cloves for me too! Powdered or whole I just can not bring myself to like their taste.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote