The one spice you just don't like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
For some reason I just don't like cumin.

What would you recommend in it's place when I'm making a dish that calls for it? I do cook mexican food quite a bit, and usually omit it, but I'd like to replace it instead.

So what's the one you'd like to replace?

Last edited:
I can't think of any. I love them all in their own way. If someone had a gun to my head and told me to choose one spice I could no longer have though I guess i would pick cinnamon.

I like cumin in small doses. A lot of recipes overdue it, IMO. I usually cut the amount in half. You could add a little chili powder or chipotle powder instead.

jkath - there just is no substitute for cumin. It has a very distinct aroma and flavor, from the chemical cuminaldehyde, with the addition of fresh (phellandene) and pine (pinene) notes that you're not going to find anywhere else. (source of chemistry - Harold McGee - On Food and Cooking - revised edition)

Some recipes do over-do the cumin .. try using 1/4 to 1/2 as much as the recipe calls for and see if you can't find a happy balance of flavor that you like. Otherwise - just omit it .. there is nothing that you can substitute.
As for the suggestion of using chili powder as a replacement ... look at the ingredients on a package/jar of chili powder. Cumin is usually either the 2nd or 3rd ingredient listed.

I'm not a big fan of anise ... but I do miss it in recipes that call for it. I just use a little less.

Last edited:
I agree with Michael - you can't substitute cumin with anything. Just leave it out if you don't like it. Chili powder is chili powder - I guess it could work - but like Michael said try adding less than the recipe calls for if you have "issues" with it. Personally, I can't get enough cumin. But don't make me smell it on its own - peeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww - stinky feet! LOL

I'm not a big fan of paprika. Doesn't do anything for me. The only thing that I can think of that would make me use a lot of it is in a paprika oil. The color is very nice contrast to dishes when you drizzle it in and around the main sauce component.

kitchenelf said:
I agree with Michael - you can't substitute cumin with anything. Just leave it out if you don't like it. Chili powder is chili powder - I guess it could work - but like Michael said try adding less than the recipe calls for if you have "issues" with it. Personally, I can't get enough cumin. But don't make me smell it on its own - peeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww - stinky feet! LOL

Chili powder as readily available is actually a mixture of spices, including cumin!

Pam

cayenne pepper. i like it in small doses but if there's too much of it i can't eat it. just too hot for me. i'm a wuss i know.

Chili powder does contain cumin, but it's not a prominent flavor ... one of the reasons I suggested it as a substitute.

Here's more info from Cook's Thesaurus:

"cumin = comino = cummin = jeera Pronunciation: KUH-min or KYOO-min or KOO-min Equivalents: 1 oz. = 4 tablespoons ground = 4 1/2 tablespoons whole seed. Notes: Cumin is a key ingredient in Southwestern chili recipes, but it's also widely used in Latin America, North Africa, and India. Freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds are far superior to packaged ground cumin. Substitutes: caraway seeds (use half as much) OR black cumin seeds (smaller and sweeter) OR caraway seeds + anise seeds OR chili powder"

http://www.foodsubs.com/SpiceUniv.html

luvs_food said:
i don't like fresh time. all those little thyme needles, uck.

It's easy to remove thyme leaves from the stems (is that what you're talking about?) ... just run your thumb and index finger along the upside down stem.

I don't like cilantro...to me it tastes like soap. I always replace it with Italian parsley...may not be authentic, but I like it better.
I don't like fennel or anise, either.

iknow, han. it those little things that i don't like.
middie, i forgot aabout dill, too. it's just not a good flaver IMO.

I like most spices but some of them don't like me!

Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves give me severe heartburn when I have more than a hint of them. They are all my favorite spices too!

Some of my most beloved desserts and pies use these spices......I'm so sad.

But sometimes I will indulge to my heart's content, knowing I will suffer for it later!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom