The Opinions on Potluck Parties thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
gave me a idea. Lets have a virtual Pot Luck Party. No food theme. Open to all on the board. So, What would you like to bring?

I will start. I will make Home made Baked Beans(no fat, no salt). We will need more for others who can indulge in salt and fat, who is willing to sign up for more?:chef:

My veggie salad (aka Pumped up bean salad)- Beans-green & yellow , kidney, butter beans , canneilli ,garbonzo, califlower,sliced red onions, carrots, radish slices, baby brussel sprouts,

I'll make my potato salad:

Red skin potatoes (hold their shape better; good flavor
Grated hard boiled eggs
Sliced radishes
Sliced green onion tops
Mayo
Italian Salad Dressing Mix powder
1 capful vinegar (any kind)

The dressing mix is the only seasoning needed. No leftovers - ever.

Mexican cornbread with jalopenoes, bell peppers Cheddar cheese & corn.
I always bring two dishes, & one must be a dessert. The dessert will be a trifle with layers from bottom up as follows:
Angel food cake/pound cake cubes
Cream filling #1
Blueberries
Cake cubes
Cream filling #2
Strawberries
Cake cubes
Cream filling #3
Raspberries or blackberries or both

Cream filling #1:
Small container of whipped cream
A jar of, or about 6-8 ounces lemon curd
Zest of one lemon
Mix together curd to personal taste

Cream filling #2:
Small container of whipped cream
Half a small jar of coconut curd or to taste
Mix together

Cream filling #3:
Whipped cream
Half jar or to taste vanilla curd
Mix together

Depending on the Berry I use the most of & what I have on hand, I might use the cream filling #1 or vanilla pudding or a homemade Coconut cream pie filling, or whatever I have a hankering for. I like to do this after I made lemon meringue pie or coconut cream pie, because I always do a double batch of filling so the pie is super thick & there's lots leftover to play with. If I have time & money I love to do 3 different cream fillings. Since this is a virtual potluck I'll definitely do 3 fillings.:)

Chicken Etouffé with lots of veggies* and a pot of steamed brown rice.

*Red, green, yellow bell peppers, onions, celery, crimini mushrooms, carrots sauteed: at the end add in shredded spinach and zucchini.

Country Style Riblets...

Take membrane off rack, trim fat. Cut in individual ribs and using cleaver, cut each rib in half lengthways. In heavy pan, cover and cook ribs in oven for an hour at 300 with garlic, onions, any other seasoning you like(I love Clubhouse Montreal Steak Spice, allspice berries, cardamom pods), and one cup of liquid. Liquid can be your choice. Beer, beef stock, tomato juice, or any combination of the three. After one hour drain liquid and add your favorite bbq sauce and continue to cook for an hour more. Stir every 15-20 minutes to make sure ribs are coated by the sauce. Then, for the final 10-15 minutes, crank heat up to 425 to thicken sauce and glaze ribs. Being watchfull that nothing is burning. Done. You can bring the ribs to the potluck after the second stage and reheat them on high before serving if you have access to the oven....

Note. This first hour of cooking has rendered most of the fat off of the ribs and will be drained away with the cooking liquid so make sure you drain it well. If you really want to get rid of all of the fat, use a colander to drain the ribs and wipe out the pan or dutch oven. Now, when you cook it with the sauce, you won't have a layer of fat floating on the top, like you see at most potlucks. A big mistake people make is to cook the meat in the sauce from the raw stage. Not with this two stage cooking method....

Last edited:
Ooh ooh ooh! Blue cheese bread pudding. Mmmmm, can almost taste it so add to my list.

This party sounds really good so far. Y'all made me hungry. Must set at date and time! LOL

Couple of boston butts from the stick burner, ready to be pulled.

Fresh corn salad with cilantro,red onion,grated carrot,green onions and chopped celery. Splash with a little rice wine vinegar and S&P

I am bringing the Tangerine Margaritas too.

4meandthem said:
Fresh corn salad with cilantro,red onion,grated carrot,green onions and chopped celery. Splash with a little rice wine vinegar and S&P

I am bringing the Tangerine Margaritas too.

This corn salad sounds yummy!

I'll bring some hors d'oeuvres.

Graham cracker sections topped with a slice of creamy havarti and a slice of strawberry.

Mini beef roulades filled with asparagas and chantrelle risoto.

Baked mushroom caps stuffed with scallops and chopped chestnuts.

A casserole of Spanish rice or escalloped potatoes and a Texas sheet cake frosted half with chocolate and half with vanilla frosting or a big pan of walnut brownies!

I will cover the casseroles with foil and wrap them in newspaper to keep them warm!

I hope someone thinks to bring a dish of copper pennies!

Mmm, Mmm good! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Aunt Bea said:
A casserole of Spanish rice or escalloped potatoes and a Texas sheet cake frosted half with chocolate and half with vanilla frosting or a big pan of walnut brownies!

I will cover the casseroles with foil and wrap them in newspaper to keep them warm!

I hope someone thinks to bring a dish of copper pennies!

Mmm, Mmm good! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Copper pennies?

we need some fish, so i'll bring gamberi al ajillo (shrimp in garlic oil), and my manhattan clam chowder.

when do we eat? :pig:

Back
Top Bottom