The Parselys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
The Parsleys

I'm familiar with three types of parsley, and enjoy each.

First, there's Chinese parsley, aka Coriander or Cilantro. Very pungent, very unique flavor.

Then there's the old standby, Curled leaf parsley. Often thought of merely as a garnish, personally it is my favorite parsley flavor. Strong but not overwhelming, refreshing.

And last but not least, Flat leaf or Italian parsley. Much weaker flavor than the first two, and that flavor is also rather unique.

All three are in my garden, and B/W and I use them as recipes suggest. I find them often indispensible for some dishes.

How do you feel about 'em???

Last edited:
I love them too, coot.
I especially love the regular old parsley minced in with my manicotti filling. It gives it just the right flavor, along with nutmeg stirred in.

I adore cilantro! I put it in my salsas for a perfect combo.

As for italian, I can't remember if I've had it or not

It may be called Chinese parsley, but the flavor is entirely different than flat leaf or curly.

I grow both flat leaf and curly (cilantro bolts too quickly), but prefer flat leaf for cooking. The main reason I grow them is because they're a food source for the parsley worm (future Eastern Black Swallowtail butterfly).

True - cilantro bolts and flowers rather qickly, but it also re-seeds itself and so it is easy enough to have young plants available most anytime. Incidently, the leaves have the same flavor even though the shape changes drastically, and those leaves remain useful all through the bloom time, which is extensive. My patch has been in bloom for nearly a month, now. Attractive white flower clusters. And easier to grow that "regular" parsely.

Cilantro, compared to curley leaf and flat leaf parsleys, have only two things in common - they are green and are called parsley.

While I "might" sub curley for flat leaf (or vice versa) with adjustments for the differences in their intensity - I would never sub cilantro for either.

One nice thing about all three, when used as a garnish - if you eat the garnish after the meal ... they all 3 work to clean your breath.

In the UK, we call the leaf of what you term 'cilantro' as coriander. I know that dried coriander is from the seeds. I use a lot of coriander in Indian and Singaporean type dishes and for carrot and coriander soups. I buy it in huge bunches from an Indian grocer, just round the corner from my home. I also think it acts as a good airfreshener in my kitchen - and I like it much more than the phony smell of canned airfreshener or pot-pourri!

I only use flat leaf parsley - the tighter curly parsley can often get quite muddy from the rains we get (even through our 'summer' months) and takes ages to wash before chopping. I have never been able to ascertain any difference in flavouring between the curly and flat leaf varieties. However, I would never use coriander where a recipe calls for parsley - they may look similar, but the flavours are too 'different' to substitute one for another.

Ishbel, what a great idea for using coriander seeds to freshen your kitchen! I love that smell! I keep my seeds in one of those big wooden pepper mills, and grind them onto this and that. When the mill's freshly used, it does smell heavenly!

I use the leaf coriander for its airfreshening properties, but I'm going to have a go with the seeds.... Thanks for the suggestion!

Fresh Coriander

One of the great benefits of our "global village" is that what used to be rare ingredients are now plentiful. In East London the Asian community settled some 30 years ago with them they brought their own stores and that dream ingredient fresh coriander. A unique and fresh flavour all of its own. Chopped into some good quality olive oil and with a little fresh lemon makes a lovely dressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom