"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hey Jessi, No problem on the meringue tips. I love good meringue... but sadly, I have never made a vanilla cream pie. So I don't think I can be much help... but... I have made other pies with a creamy filling that needs to set, I don't know for sure that this will work, but you might want to try some sweetened condensed milk in place of some of the cream and sugar.... it's so much thicker, and I would think it might lend itself to setting up nicer than thinner ingredients.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Jessi, I apologize as I was away most of the day but the help you got was fantastic. One other thing about the eggwhites - make sure they are room temperature before you beat them and that your bowl and beaters are also room temperature and very clean.

As for your filling, I find beating the yolk (also at room temperature) until they are light yellow and frothy helps to thicken the filling.

Hope that helps!
Ok yesI am so happy I found all of you! I will assure you I am going to be here for a long time! I am going to follow all the excellent advice right now and make tonight's pie! its a good thing my mom does not mind helping me eat the mistakes, she loves me for sure because she just gets a spoon to scoop it with and tells me its good! I will let everyone know how this turns out tomorrow..thanks to everyone so much

Old 04-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcitypaul View Post
Hey Jessi, No problem on the meringue tips. I love good meringue... but sadly, I have never made a vanilla cream pie. So I don't think I can be much help... but... I have made other pies with a creamy filling that needs to set, I don't know for sure that this will work, but you might want to try some sweetened condensed milk in place of some of the cream and sugar.... it's so much thicker, and I would think it might lend itself to setting up nicer than thinner ingredients.
wow I never thouight of that an I am going to do that now, I am glad I saw this first, I do have all the ingredients including sweetened condensed milk..thanks for the idea!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi View Post
wow I never thouight of that an I am going to do that now, I am glad I saw this first, I do have all the ingredients including sweetened condensed milk..thanks for the idea!
I can't wait to hear how it turns out!