The philosophy of cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my philosophy is:
if, in cooking, an idea sounds good when it occurs to you, it probably is, so why not give it a try, and if it isn't, you've learned not to make that mistake again.

Last edited:
I feel there are several levels of cooking. 1) warming heating prepared foods without further damage to them. 2) combining correctly various packages and cans to make an edible substance 3) actually using a variety of ingredients and following a recipe 4) having techniques and ingredients under control and using fresh substances correctly 5) making something basically horrid into something quite wonderful

I have progressed through them all. While #1 sounds like it's easy, it does require thought and skill to put several items on the table that are ballanced in nutrition, hot through without being burned or overcooked, and presented in an attractive manner.
There are many who cannot do this.

so a basic philosophy of cooking: do no harm to either your diners or that which you are cooking.

I consider my cooking philosophy more as a journey. I have learned a lot but I am by no means done yet. It's a work in progress and along the way I have learned a few things myself:

Keep it simple
Cooking from scratch is great but be practical and use readymade ingredients if you have to
Don't be afraid to experiment - You learn from your mistakes
Don't skimp on ingredients - Use the best your pocket book can afford
Shunn preconceived notions about food and cuisines and give it a try. You may be pleasently surprised.

my philosophy:
a dish that is not made with care is not worth eating.

if i am out in the world (away from my own kitchen) and cant find well made food, eating becomes a chore. if i am eating something that is made with care, and made of ingredients that were produced with equal care, eating becomes one of my life's greatest pleasures.

My philosophy is start with the highest quality ingredients, organic grains and beans, vegetables that are locally grown and organic when possible, sustainably raised animal products in moderation prepared simply with love in my heart.

Mine... anything cooked with Love as a main ingredient is better than
anything cooked by the best chefs. Love makes it taste better. Just ask Grandma! :)

I'm learning more and more about the importance of finding the right balance between acidity with other non-acid flavours. I know I'm not explaining this well, but I feel like if I could just get this right in a lot of the things I try to do, whatever it is I'm trying to make will be good. I cook a lot by "feel", so if I can't get this right, then I figure I'm not very good.

Cooking is love, cooking is culture, cooking is religion, cooking is art, cooking is science, cooking is psychology ....

I'm sure if I thought long enough I could go on forever. Eating is also all of the above.

To me, cooking and eating is basis of all mankind, what binds us together, what we all have in common. I've travelled quite a bit, and if you can sit and eat with your fellow man, you can form a bond. That is my philosophy of cooking.

I nurture with food. Lots of love goes into the preparation as well as thought and good ingredients. My family understands it's important to be tolerant of my mistakes as they are part of experimentation which can have wonderful results. Food does more than just fill your empty belly - it also warms your heart, heals your hurts and lifts your soul. Funny thing, though, when I'm in my kitchen cooking I'm also nurturing myself! Putting a wonderful meal on the table makes me happy and when I'm happy it spreads to those around me. When I share a recipe I'm touching lives....I guess it's just another one of those win win win things.

Back
Top Bottom