"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

The Price of San Marzano Tomatoes!

This weekend I saw the price of a 28 ounce can of San Marzano whole tomatoes rise to $5.29! I always shop for the genuine "seal of approval" grown in Italy etc. San Marzanos.

I've gotten to the point where I find this prohibitive and am wondering if I should go back to regular canned tomatoes.

What do you folks pay for the real deal? Do you even bother with the real SM tomatoes?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This weekend I saw the price of a 28 ounce can of San Marzano whole tomatoes rise to $5.29! I always shop for the genuine "seal of approval" grown in Italy etc. San Marzanos.

I've gotten to the point where I find this prohibitive and am wondering if I should go back to regular canned tomatoes.

What do you folks pay for the real deal? Do you even bother with the real SM tomatoes?
Good grief! That's ridiculous.

I'll stick with my Hunt's.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I used to buy them by the case at Amazon for a lot less, but it looks like most of their brands went up also. For the past few years, I've been buying Bionaturae Organic Tuscan whole tomatoes by the case, and I like them even better than the San Marzano. If you have a Whole Foods or other health food market nearby, they should sell the Bionaturae, and for a lot less than $5.29.

http://www.amazon.com/bionaturae-Org...8805843&sr=8-1

Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll stick with Red Pack or Contadina. A buck a can on sale for 28 oz. Maybe not the real thing, but never having eaten the "real thing", I won't miss them.
I love the new chunky cut Red Pack. Nice and chunky. I season them how I like, but yes, the tomato seems to be lacking something. That tomato depth...
I'll put SM maters are on my bucket list
Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I buy Contadina when I buy canned tomatoes or tomato paste, like Fred said, don't know what I am missing.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i wait until the cento brand certified imported san marzanos go on sale, usually in early summer, then i stock up at half price. i think i bought a dozen or more large cans this past july at around $2.25 or $2.50 each.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Master Chef

I've tried the S.M. canned tomatoes and found them very good. But Dellalo brand tomato products are my go-to choice, for both price and quality. They don't have much added to alter that great tomato flavor. They taste like I could have just picked them from my garden, and are consistently good. I used to purchase Hunts and Contadina. But I like the fresh flavor of the Delallo better. My wife isn't so sure. ButI'm the cook, so I choose the groceries, most of the time, anyway, um, when my wife lets me. Um, yes dear, I'll get off of the computer now and get back to making supper. Um, no, I didn't say anything about you. And that dress you're wearing makes you look amazing. Did I mention that earlier? Just kidding. She's up stairs watching TV.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I've tried the S.M. canned tomatoes and found them very good. But Dellalo brand tomato products are my go-to choice, for both price and quality. They don't have much added to alter that great tomato flavor. They taste like I could have just picked them from my garden, and are consistently good. I used to purchase Hunts and Contadina. But I like the fresh flavor of the Delallo better. My wife isn't so sure. ButI'm the cook, so I choose the groceries, most of the time, anyway, um, when my wife lets me. Um, yes dear, I'll get off of the computer now and get back to making supper. Um, no, I didn't say anything about you. And that dress you're wearing makes you look amazing. Did I mention that earlier? Just kidding. She's up stairs watching TV.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Is Dellalo a regional brand, GW? Have never heard of them. Is that what you use in your chili?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I'm not that picky. Whatever is on sale buy. I guess I don't know what I'm missing either loll. I feel I can season them myself.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Head Chef

A good subistitute, Calif.,grown.

Tags
tomatoes