The question that led me to finding this place!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyChelle

Assistant Cook
Friday night is my husband's 45th birthday. In our almost 19 years of marriage I've never thrown him a birthday party, let alone a surprise party :)sad: yes, I'm ashamed). But this Friday night I've arranged a party without him knowing....yet. I'm having his family over and a couple of friends for a small celebration.

My menu is white chicken chili, with a choice between oven cornbread or crackers. However, I just don't feel that it is quite enough. What is another rather easy, cost efficient side dish that would be a compliment to the dishes I have chosen so far. Of course the chili will be in bowls, but I could do like small salad plates for the bread and other side so as not to over whelm everyone with dishes!

I'm at a loss and eager for ideas. I look forward to any tips you all would share!

Welcome!

I'd suggest bowls with garnishes for the chili, like cheese, sour cream, onions, fritos, tortillas, jalapenos, etc.

Salad is always an easy side dish to something like chili or stew.

I've made little composed salads on corn tortillas before. With shredded lettuce, watercress, hearts of palm, jicama and cilantro lime vinaigrette -- for a southwestern feel.

Pretty much any salad would work though.

I'm with Jenny on this, it seems the chili is just calling for something green and cold and crunchy..Good luck on your party it sounds so nice.
kadesma

Welcome to DC....Make yourself at home!

Add a salad...Add a cornbread....Plain & Jalapeno Cornbread ---- Plain & Broccoli Cornbread --- Jalapeno & Broccoli Cornbread ---

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Oh, I'd make some guacamole and serve some blue corn chips with it.

and we all know what beverage to serve with guacamole, don't we? ;);)

WONDERFUL suggestions! Awesome! great! fabu!!!!!

I was thinking along the right lines. I was thinking maybe salad, but wasn't sure. The cold 'n' crunchy makes sense. I'm loving the jalapeno cornbread idea, too. Kinda kick it up a notch from plain ole cornbread.

Today while buying some of my ingredients, I saw the tostitos dippers-the little bowl like chips, and that got me to thinking, too. AND, if I did a cheese, sauce, and condiment plate it would give me the PERFECT excuse to break out my pretty serving dishes that I rarely use!

Guacamole is the winner of this family for sure! (Yay Toots!!!!!) That never crossed my mind- and this is a family that inhales good guacamole! Not to mention my husband could eat it as long as it is in front of him. This is a definite add to my menu!!!!!

You all were excellent help. Thank you thank you thank you! Now, I just have to narrow down WHICH salad I'm going to add. I may have to post a pic of my beautiful menu Saturday!

Thanks for the welcome. I think I will really enjoy this place. I like the fit so far!;)

I think all are good responses. I would add coldslaw to the list, it's green, crunchy and cold.

I was thinking a veggie tray with celery, sweet peppers, broccoli etc. and some good dips for them too. DON'T FORGET THE BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!

So true Jabbur! I just forgot to mention it. A friend of mine has a bakery, and I went to her today to order a cake. It's SO cool! At first I picked out a cake that looked like a circular piece of wood. It was really cool and unique. She led me to an even better cake. It looks like a tree stump, with chocolate icing for bark. It'll have a space in it where his name will be 'carved out'. And a big ole 45 on the top of the cake! I'm really trying to make it nice-yeah, believe it. That flipping cake was EXPENSIVE! But, it will be the most original cake he's ever had. This woman is a cake artist! She is awesome! And they taste heavenly, too.

Like I said. I'll post pics! Y'all will definitely want to see this cake, I just know it.

Thanks again! I'm definitely doing a cold 'n' crunchy! No doubt about it.;)

Happy Birthday to the Mister!Sounds like you got some terrific ideas and don't need my two cents worth.:rolleyes: You could always add some corn and red bell peppers and even chopped fresh jalepeno to a green salad to make it more a Mexican themed one with a chili lime vinagrette.

Amy, this sounds like a great party - I know your husband will be surprised and happy.Welcome to DC - wow, look at all the great suggestions you got to your very first question!

Amy, this sounds like a great party - I know your husband will be surprised and happy.Welcome to DC - wow, look at all the great suggestions you got to your very first question!
:clap:

I KNOW! Isn't that great?! And such handy ideas! I think my husband is on to me. But, I refuse to let him out of it. Even if he is protesting. He's an ole fogie sometimes. I just have to over look him! Because he'll end up having a great time and enjoying the attention once it's up and running!

I love what has been suggested already. It dosen't have to be a budget buster but a good presentation can make a BIG difference. for example if you were going to have a chili bar with different sides, make sure that the choices are in similar bowls and arranged nicely. With the sides maybe make individual items (muffis) as opposed to cutting it out of a larger peice - just look nicer

If you would still like suggestions I was thinking you might start with deep fried potato skins with melted cheddar and bacon bits then serve the chili and bread. Just a thought. The potato skins are always a hit whenever I've seen them served.

Jeff

If you would still like suggestions I was thinking you might start with deep fried potato skins with melted cheddar and bacon bits then serve the chili and bread. Just a thought. The potato skins are always a hit whenever I've seen them served.

Jeff

Mmm.. Sounds good.. :)
1x1t.gif

AmyChelle, I love chili with rice, and corny cornbread made with green chilis and whole kernel corn. (And don't forget a cute nightie. Food is not the only way to a man's heart.)

Oooooh, this sounds like fun! I agree with the others, make it into a chili bar with tortillas, cheese, onions, guac, sour cream, sliced jalapeno's and olives. You could also use tostada shells and use for bowls :eek:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom