"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The original recipe for Pigs In A Blanket came from the Pillsbury kitchen more than 40 years ago. The recipe called for crescent rolls, hot dogs and a slice of cheese. It was touted as a quick meal for the working mother.
I remember that! BTW, Pengyou is a he ;)

Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We used to make pigs in blankets back in the 50s, that would be over 50 years ago. We made them at summer camp, etc. We used Pillsbury or Bisquick biscuits and didn't use cheese. Never heard of using cheese before. We would put them on sticks and roast them over a campfire like marshmallows.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi1
But isn't puff pastry just as crisp? I buy it in sheets & as pre-formed "patty shells", & after baking it's just as crisp as Phyllo; just a bit denser.
I don't know. It seems less messy to me but all these things would be delicious - FILO, puff pastry, pie dough, etc just some may be harder to eat. Perhaps just provide extra napkins
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Filo is, in my mind, similar to strudel dough. I've made both from scratch and recall having to hang the dough off the cupboard door and pull very gently. I only made each once--had to try doing it, but prefer to buy filo.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Master Chef

The best pigs in the blanket I have made used a combination of white bread dough, using store-bought yeast, and sourdough that I made from scratch. Both should be easily available to you. Just roll the dough out after letting it rise one time, on a well-floured surface until it's about an eighth-inch thick. Place a line of hot-dogs on the rolled dough, and cut it after rolling a portion of the dough around the line of hot dogs. Cut between the dogs and pinch the ends together so the the hot dogs are completely encased. Place the next line of hot dogs down and repeat. Do this until all of the dough is used up. The encased hot dogs can be frozen for later use, or placed on a parchment lined cookie sheet to rise until doubled, then baked to a golden brown in a 350'F. oven.

If you are adventurous, you can lay down thin cheese slices, and strips of bacon to wrap around the hot dogs as they are rolled into the dough as well. It's all yummy. To serve, provide a butter knife so the eater can cut one end off of the bun, and squirt their favorite condiments inside.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dough