The Truth Behind Five Food Myths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm also curious about absorption issues. I know my body doesn't absorb calcium like it should. What kind of absorption issues do you have? Maybe your experiences could help me understand myself.

Vitamin D is needed for calcium absorption, most US Americans are deficient in Vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about a supplement and maybe getting the test to see if you are deficient.

Because of Cardio Vascular Disease, Diabetes, history of smoking and not being a sun person, I take D3 5000 iu a day to keep my levels up.

Also, I've been taking a supplement - Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc.

I had to stop the calcium supplement for a little while, because of possible interactions with other medications (Nexium), but I decided that the Calcium was much more important to my body than a medication for heartburn.

I never get heartburn. I think the doctor's assistant was wrong about that Rx. It interfered with most of the other meds I need to take.

Nexium should be taken at night, an hour before you go to bed. It won't interfere with other meds then.

Nexium should be taken at night, an hour before you go to bed. It won't interfere with other meds then.

The thing is, Princess, I don't think I need it. I like plain old magnesium. If I were prone to heartburn, I'd continue to take it, and I do plan on refilling the Rx, but a plain tablet of magnesium when I've eaten a lot of cheese has so far kept things in order for me.

When I did take the Nexium, I took it at bedtime, but it bothered me that the Gabapentin that I was prescribed, couldn't be taken within 6-7 hours of the Nexium.

The Gabapentin was really helping me. I want to keep taking it. but preferably in the later afternoon. The problem it was helping me with felt like someone had a voodoo doll of me and was poking needles in my feet, but only in the evening, that was stopped cold as soon as I started the Gabapentin.

Then yes, the gabapentin is more important. Nexium is the highest priced and reluctantly covered by insurances...I wonder why they prescribed it if you didn't report heartburn. I wouldn't refill the prescription.

I'm curious, too, why a doctor would prescribe Nexium if you don't have a medical issue that requires it. I take it to prevent ulcers from another medicine I take and every once in a while, the insurance company gives me a problem about it because it's so expensive.

Just wanted to mention, OTC supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so there's no guarantee that they contain what the package says they do. I take several Rx supplements because Rx manufacture is regulated and the dosages are consistent from one manufacturer and batch to another. Sometimes it's cheaper, too. I take a prenatal multivitamin with minerals daily and the co-pay is $3.33 a month.

Last edited:
Then yes, the gabapentin is more important. Nexium is the highest priced and reluctantly covered by insurances...I wonder why they prescribed it if you didn't report heartburn. I wouldn't refill the prescription.

The DA said that she thought I had ulcers in my lower abdomen. I think that she was just pressing too hard. It wasn't like a sharp pain.

There are a bunch of refills available for it, so I'm going to go ahead and get a refill, but just use it for the occasional heartburn. It only cost me $6.60. Regular Rx only cost $2.20.

, but just use it for the occasional heartburn.

have you read any of the directions / advice / instructions to this medication?

stuff like:
"Nexium is not for immediate relief of heartburn symptoms."

The DA said that she thought I had ulcers in my lower abdomen. I think that she was just pressing too hard. It wasn't like a sharp pain.

There are a bunch of refills available for it, so I'm going to go ahead and get a refill, but just use it for the occasional heartburn. It only cost me $6.60. Regular Rx only cost $2.20.

What does DA mean?

An ulcer doesn't necessarily come with sharp pain, but I find it odd that a medical practitioner would diagnose an ulcer just by feeling (I had my first when I was 15). I have no doubt my GI doctor would order an ultrasound, a CT scan or an MRI to see what it really is. And remember that no medicine comes without possible side effects. Almost all treatments involve a risk/benefit ratio. If you're deriving no benefit, you're taking a risk for no reason.

If salt was truly cause of high blood pressure, my mom' s bp would be in 2 or 3 hundreds. In fact her blood pressure is so low doctor has to remind her to drink more coffee.

What does DA mean?

An ulcer doesn't necessarily come with sharp pain, but I find it odd that a medical practitioner would diagnose an ulcer just by feeling (I had my first when I was 15). I have no doubt my GI doctor would order an ultrasound, a CT scan or an MRI to see what it really is. And remember that no medicine comes without possible side effects. Almost all treatments involve a risk/benefit ratio. If you're deriving no benefit, you're taking a risk for no reason.
I think DA is doctor's assistant. Z mentioned a doctor's assistant here.

I think DA is doctor's assistant. Z mentioned a doctor's assistant here.

Yes, but what does that mean? It could be an MA (medical assistant), LPN (licensed practical nurse), RN (registered nurse), NP (nurse practitioner) or PA (physician assistant). They all have different training and different scopes of practice regarding diagnosis and prescribing privileges. I'm not familiar with doctor's assistant as a specific occupation.

If salt was truly cause of high blood pressure, my mom' s bp would be in 2 or 3 hundreds. In fact her blood pressure is so low doctor has to remind her to drink more coffee.

I really like salt...on almost everything. I'm Mr. Salty. I have moderate high blood pressure and take Lisinopril 40mg which keeps my BP in check.

Question: If that article says you can negate salts negative effects by eating foods rich in potassium, will taking potassium supplements do it? I wonder. Sounds too easy. Of course, I try and get nutrients from real food.

Last edited:
I really like salt...on almost everything. I'm Mr. Salty. I have moderate high blood pressure and take Lisinopril 40mg which keeps my BP in check.

Question: If that article says you can negate salts negative effects by eating foods rich in potassium, will taking potassium supplements do it? I wonder. Sounds too easy. Of course, I try and get nutrients from real food.

I asked that question yesterday at the doctor. Cuz, I would love to increase my salt intake. The answer: salt sensitivity is my problem, the amount of potassium I would have to take to negate the sensitivity would be ridiculous. I don't know if this would be true for you.

Back
Top Bottom