"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm also curious about absorption issues. I know my body doesn't absorb calcium like it should. What kind of absorption issues do you have? Maybe your experiences could help me understand myself.
Vitamin D is needed for calcium absorption, most US Americans are deficient in Vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about a supplement and maybe getting the test to see if you are deficient.

Because of Cardio Vascular Disease, Diabetes, history of smoking and not being a sun person, I take D3 5000 iu a day to keep my levels up.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I take A&D as well as D3 every day.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I take A&D as well as D3 every day.
Great!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Great!
Also, I've been taking a supplement - Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc.

I had to stop the calcium supplement for a little while, because of possible interactions with other medications (Nexium), but I decided that the Calcium was much more important to my body than a medication for heartburn.

I never get heartburn. I think the doctor's assistant was wrong about that Rx. It interfered with most of the other meds I need to take.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nexium should be taken at night, an hour before you go to bed. It won't interfere with other meds then.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Nexium should be taken at night, an hour before you go to bed. It won't interfere with other meds then.
The thing is, Princess, I don't think I need it. I like plain old magnesium. If I were prone to heartburn, I'd continue to take it, and I do plan on refilling the Rx, but a plain tablet of magnesium when I've eaten a lot of cheese has so far kept things in order for me.

When I did take the Nexium, I took it at bedtime, but it bothered me that the Gabapentin that I was prescribed, couldn't be taken within 6-7 hours of the Nexium.

The Gabapentin was really helping me. I want to keep taking it. but preferably in the later afternoon. The problem it was helping me with felt like someone had a voodoo doll of me and was poking needles in my feet, but only in the evening, that was stopped cold as soon as I started the Gabapentin.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Then yes, the gabapentin is more important. Nexium is the highest priced and reluctantly covered by insurances...I wonder why they prescribed it if you didn't report heartburn. I wouldn't refill the prescription.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm curious, too, why a doctor would prescribe Nexium if you don't have a medical issue that requires it. I take it to prevent ulcers from another medicine I take and every once in a while, the insurance company gives me a problem about it because it's so expensive.

Just wanted to mention, OTC supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so there's no guarantee that they contain what the package says they do. I take several Rx supplements because Rx manufacture is regulated and the dosages are consistent from one manufacturer and batch to another. Sometimes it's cheaper, too. I take a prenatal multivitamin with minerals daily and the co-pay is $3.33 a month.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Then yes, the gabapentin is more important. Nexium is the highest priced and reluctantly covered by insurances...I wonder why they prescribed it if you didn't report heartburn. I wouldn't refill the prescription.
The DA said that she thought I had ulcers in my lower abdomen. I think that she was just pressing too hard. It wasn't like a sharp pain.

There are a bunch of refills available for it, so I'm going to go ahead and get a refill, but just use it for the occasional heartburn. It only cost me $6.60. Regular Rx only cost $2.20.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
, but just use it for the occasional heartburn.
have you read any of the directions / advice / instructions to this medication?

stuff like:
"Nexium is not for immediate relief of heartburn symptoms."

Tags
food