"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
The DA said that she thought I had ulcers in my lower abdomen. I think that she was just pressing too hard. It wasn't like a sharp pain.

There are a bunch of refills available for it, so I'm going to go ahead and get a refill, but just use it for the occasional heartburn. It only cost me $6.60. Regular Rx only cost $2.20.
What does DA mean?

An ulcer doesn't necessarily come with sharp pain, but I find it odd that a medical practitioner would diagnose an ulcer just by feeling (I had my first when I was 15). I have no doubt my GI doctor would order an ultrasound, a CT scan or an MRI to see what it really is. And remember that no medicine comes without possible side effects. Almost all treatments involve a risk/benefit ratio. If you're deriving no benefit, you're taking a risk for no reason.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Shouldn't you consult your Dr. before discontinuing any medication??

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #33
Master Chef

If salt was truly cause of high blood pressure, my mom' s bp would be in 2 or 3 hundreds. In fact her blood pressure is so low doctor has to remind her to drink more coffee.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What does DA mean?

An ulcer doesn't necessarily come with sharp pain, but I find it odd that a medical practitioner would diagnose an ulcer just by feeling (I had my first when I was 15). I have no doubt my GI doctor would order an ultrasound, a CT scan or an MRI to see what it really is. And remember that no medicine comes without possible side effects. Almost all treatments involve a risk/benefit ratio. If you're deriving no benefit, you're taking a risk for no reason.
I think DA is doctor's assistant. Z mentioned a doctor's assistant here.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think DA is doctor's assistant. Z mentioned a doctor's assistant here.
Yes, but what does that mean? It could be an MA (medical assistant), LPN (licensed practical nurse), RN (registered nurse), NP (nurse practitioner) or PA (physician assistant). They all have different training and different scopes of practice regarding diagnosis and prescribing privileges. I'm not familiar with doctor's assistant as a specific occupation.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Of course. You should also understand clearly why a medication has been prescribed.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, absolutely. Should at least call them and tell them why.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If salt was truly cause of high blood pressure, my mom' s bp would be in 2 or 3 hundreds. In fact her blood pressure is so low doctor has to remind her to drink more coffee.
I really like salt...on almost everything. I'm Mr. Salty. I have moderate high blood pressure and take Lisinopril 40mg which keeps my BP in check.

Question: If that article says you can negate salts negative effects by eating foods rich in potassium, will taking potassium supplements do it? I wonder. Sounds too easy. Of course, I try and get nutrients from real food.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I really like salt...on almost everything. I'm Mr. Salty. I have moderate high blood pressure and take Lisinopril 40mg which keeps my BP in check.

Question: If that article says you can negate salts negative effects by eating foods rich in potassium, will taking potassium supplements do it? I wonder. Sounds too easy. Of course, I try and get nutrients from real food.
I asked that question yesterday at the doctor. Cuz, I would love to increase my salt intake. The answer: salt sensitivity is my problem, the amount of potassium I would have to take to negate the sensitivity would be ridiculous. I don't know if this would be true for you.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #40
Head Chef

Higher than normal levels of potassium in your system can be bad for you. I just wanted to mention that.

Tags
food