The Twilight of Celebrity Chefs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Not sure if you are into reddit, but here is a link of people talking about cooking at home and the changing habits and tastes of consumers that are making it difficult for celebrity type restaurants to be sustainable..I think the internet has taken away the mystery of creating high quality meals, for one..and not to mention the high cost of living has eroded disposable income..
I haven't read through the whole thread, so there may be some curse words as one could find on the interweb..

https://www.reddit.com/r/television...y_chef_having_a_name/?st=JKUKT2HP&sh=303e381a

Last edited:
It really doesn't surprise me. These things tend to be fads, and for many people the big attraction is a realistic hope of actually having the name chef cooking in the kitchen, maybe even coming out to the dining room and schmoozing the patrons. Once it's clear that this rarely, and in cases of chefs with multiple locations never happens, the end result is pretty inevitable.

Then too, opening a restaurant is a known risk any time, but in a prime location, with prime property values, cost can be prohibitive even before the food and staff expenses are figured in. The one mentioned in the article with rent at $108,000 per MONTH.... simply shocking. What must they have to charge per meal to cover that cost alone?

For me, the interest even on TV waned fairly quickly once the novelty wore off. It was better when they were cooking for us, teaching us to be better cooks. Once they got too big, their celebrity got in the way of the food, and I think that was the start of the downward trend.

Interesting article, and this quote pretty much says it all:

“As with every other art form, the tastes and the popularity change,” says Shep Gordon, the agent who nurtured the careers of such celebrity chefs as Emeril Lagasse. “The fireworks can only last so long.”

I lost interest in the Food Network shows and hosts quite a while back, when they started becoming more of a competitive cooking network/reality show. Not to mention bringing their friends and families in to share stories more, and actually cooking less.

I still watch some cooking shows on PBS (I think it's PBS), when I happen to see them. No frills, just cooking. I've never been to a 'celeb' chef owned restaurant and am not surprised that many of their businesses have closed down - people lose interest and as said, their names can no longer support the astronomical cost of doing business.

There are a lot of good cooking blogs online these days and I tend to go to a few of my faves there for ideas - although every now and then I'll remember something that Giada, for example, prepared on a show and look it up. I didn't have any interest in going to her restaurant in Las Vegas last time I was there, though. :)

I've been to a few celebrity chef restaurants, and was disappointed every time by at least part of the meal. Gordon Ramsey Fish and Chips in Ceasar's Palace was the worst. The fish was soggy and greasy. I might have done slightly better at Long John Silvers.

I also agree that the Food Network needs to get back to basics. Iron Chef America was entertaining, but that doesn't mean all their shows should be competitions.

The best thing that FoodTV gave the world was a sense that, "Hey, I can do that." Celebrity chefs taught people how to cook, and got them excited about cooking. Now it's all chef vs chef, where you don't really learn anything.

CD

I agree with Cheryl, don't watch much chef programmes any more, the swearing is just pathetic. I tend to find a nice dish then try to replicate it. I actually get it as good if not better. My favourite meal is butter chicken, I've only just started to try to perfect it. I giggled it and printed 3 recipes off. I've made it twice and nearly have it right, then I was watching a programme where they reckoned the secret was Campbell's tomato soup. So I'm getting all sorts of information and putting it together for my own benefit.

Russ

I miss Anthony Bourdain a lot, his series were great. I noticed since he died they have another guy they are promoting. I won't be watching. Something called diners and dives ??

Russ

I miss Anthony Bourdain a lot, his series were great. I noticed since he died they have another guy they are promoting. I won't be watching. Something called diners and dives ??

Russ
That's a totally different type of show..the host, Guy Fierri is an acquired taste..either love him or hate him..I liked it at first then got tired of his bad one liners..he's not much of an actor, after all and ran out of material to make him enjoyable to watch..just my 2 cents..

As far as Bourdain goes, or went, I felt with the money they spent on those series' they could have made it a bit more exciting..it kinda fell flat for me a lot of the time..maybe another host could have done a better job..

The guy appears too over the top. As I said.... I won't be watching. My fave chef is rick stein, down to earth stuff. I see his son now makes a programme on the coat tails of his dad. I won't watch that either.

Russ

When the Food Network had cooking shows, chefs got exposure with the general public so when they opened restaurants, there was a ready-made clientele. Now the number of chefs you see is much less so there's not natural exposure.

I'm one of the minority who didn't care for Bourdain. His personality rubbed me the wrong way.

That's a totally different type of show..the host, Guy Fierri is an acquired taste..either love him or hate him..I liked it at first then got tired of his bad one liners..he's not much of an actor, after all and ran out of material to make him enjoyable to watch..just my 2 cents..

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives has definitely "jumped the shark." And, I've been to a couple of places he featured, and they weren't that good. Besides, his Camaro SS is a fake SS. :ermm: :D

CD

I've travelled a lot so I like to relate to some of the places Anthony goes to. I know he rubs people the wrong way, perhaps that reflects my personality as well,lol. I also like learning about countries and traditions. Bourdain fits perfect for me. To each his own I guess.

Russ

I've travelled a lot so I like to relate to some of the places Anthony goes to. I know he rubs people the wrong way, perhaps that reflects my personality as well,lol. I also like learning about countries and traditions. Bourdain fits perfect for me. To each his own I guess.

Russ
He doesn't rub me the wrong way..I just find him a bit boring, I guess..maybe our sense of humor didn't jive..seemed like a good bloke..

For me, the interest even on TV waned fairly quickly once the novelty wore off. It was better when they were cooking for us, teaching us to be better cooks. Once they got too big, their celebrity got in the way of the food, and I think that was the start of the downward trend.

I feel the same. At first I was hooked. Watched the shows, went to the food shows, saw the live demo's, did the book signings... It was fun, bun then it became reality TV focusing more on competition and less on learning. It was amusing at first, but as the informative shows started to dwindle, so did my interest.

I like the simple, no frills PBS shows. Always liked them and still do. Just show me what your making, introduce me to a few new ingredients, cuisines and techniques, and Im happy.

PBS, larry, is what I like calling cheap poor man's cable. ;) We haven't had cable since about 1988, and have never done the dish, etc thing, either. Besides the low-key chefs on PBS (Sara Moulton, et al), I think my favorite food program is Globe Trekker - especially when the episode is hosted by Bobby Chinn. Globe Trekker is highly concentrated on the travel theme, but when Chinn hosts the episode you know you're in for some good eats - or at least interesting food.

Roch, I'm going to guess that once the TV chefs crossed over from teaching to theatre, people lost interest. Just looking at Guy gives me indigestion. As far as restaurants run by them, I bet a chef has a lot more luck if he's known for his food and has an established restaurant even before he's shown his face on TV. Not like I eat at celebrity chef restaurants - the only one I've been to is Michael Symon's burger joint, B-Spot. Good food, decent prices, and enough quirky items (like hot from the fryer pork cracklin's and formerly house-made pickle bar selections) to keep people coming back. One of these days when we're back in OH, we'll finally make it to Mabel's, Symon's "Cleveland BBQ" restaurant. A friend of mine back home has been there at least two or three times and has raved about the food each time. Gotta make it this next trip in...

Oh, speaking of "trip"...how is your ankle tonight? I hope it's a little less sore.

CG, I have no burning desire to go to Cleveland (unless I have tickets to watch my Steelers do a beat down on the Browns). :D

However, I admire Michael Symon, and his dedication to his hometown. If I do go to Cleveland someday, I'd definitely try one of his restaurants.

He has a passion for cooking, and laughs a lot. I like that.

CD

He doesn't rub me the wrong way..I just find him a bit boring, I guess..maybe our sense of humor didn't jive..seemed like a good bloke..

A very complicated and obviously troubled soul. My daughter actually got me watching him. She's a very good cook as well. Btw I'm told I have a great sense of humour. :chef:;)

Russ

CD, if we were living in the CLE right now, you could visit and we'd all go down to Mabel's. Then, after we recovered, we could wobble over to Pitt to eat at Primanti's. But then we'd have to try Panini's back in Cleveland.

On second thought, forget it. I think I just gained five pounds thinking about that food crawl. :LOL:

(PS - You're going to have to go to the football game yourself. I swore off pro ball when our son started playing football in high school.)

Back
Top Bottom