"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking The Ultimate Mac & Cheese - What Should I Add?

Hi there,

I have been a huge mac and cheese fan since I was a toddler (I am 31 now....that is a long time to be eating mac and cheese!) I am now wanting to switch it up a little bit and try something new with it.....

I've experimented with adding bacon, adding in lumps of cheese once it has cooled down to make little 'cheese bombs' as you eat, I have added toasted bread in triangles on the side, popped in some chilli.....how do you like to do yours?

Suggestions wanted so I can take my mac and cheese to a whole new level!

Em

Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I add a can of tomatoes to mine. I squish whole tomatoes with my hand and add it along with all the juice. Then I top it with breadcrumbs before I put it in the oven to get a nice crust on it.

And welcome to DC. This is a fun place full of laughs and information.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Tomatoes.....that's a good idea, does it make it less cheesy? Thanks for the welcome too :)
Old 05-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Master Chef

Sometimes it's not about what you add, it's about what you leave out!

I sometimes add chopped broccoli or canned green chiles.

This thread may give you some ideas, good luck!

Paula Deen Mac And Cheese
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
Head Chef

I made this one a few weeks ago, and to me, it was really good ( with a few changes)

Spinach and Artichoke Baked Whole Grain Pasta Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

I used regular pasta instead of whole grain ( whole grain consistency is a little grainy for me)

By accident I added all of the cheese when making the cheese sauce , then realized I should have saved the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to place on top. So I had grate more cheese for on top. In my opinion, it was a good mistake. Also, I used double the amount of artichoke hearts ( which also was a good intentional mistake). Gruyere is extremely expensive so I kinda used a mix of gruyere and fontina( which also worked well).

Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly, and I would definitely make it again.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I slice fresh tomatoes and place over the top before browning under the grill .Or, sometimes I also add strips of smoked salmon ( buy the cheaper offcuts) and mix in. That's really nice.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by em6989 View Post
Tomatoes.....that's a good idea, does it make it less cheesy? Thanks for the welcome too :)
No, it just makes it more moist. The cheesy part depends on how much cheese you add.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Nice ideas about the salmon and broccoli....of course that makes sense seeing as cheese and broccoli are amazing together!

I never use wholegrain pasta (it is what my mother always used and I never thought to break out into a different kind!). I might give that a go too just to switch it up a little bit.

I also use mature cheddar cheese a lot, other than Parmigiano-Reggiano mentioned before what other types of cheese have you used?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Start by making a roux using dextrinized flour. Keep the flour as white as you can while still heating the flour. 6 parts flour>5 parts clarified unsalted butter. Make sure to refrigerate the roux before adding the very hot whole milk. No cream. Then make a classic bechamel sauce but not too thick. Infuse the bechamel with pre-sauteed fine chopped fennel bulb and a shallot and a pinch of fresh ground nutmeg. Not too much. No other herbs/spices.
Al dente pasta of course.
Before serving gently fold into the bechamel some rough chopped pieces of smoked salmon/or any other smoked fish. I like using smoked whitefish very much but any firm pieces of smoked (must be smoked) fish is delicious. Careful of how much Kosher salt you use to season. The smoked fish will have some saltiness.
Large serving hot bowl/platter of the very hot (held in the oven covered if necessary) al dente pasta. No oil or butter on the pasta. You want to pasta to absorb and finish cooking the pasta in the hot bechamel which you pour over the pasta and gently fold in.
For this to work every component of the dish must be hot! Dish/pasta/bechamel. Only the smoked fish can be at room temp. before adding.
Garnish with a good amount of 'PR' or 'GP' fine grated cheese and a sprinkle of dried chili flakes and fine chopped fresh fennel fronds. If everything is hot enough,especially the serving bowl/platter the cheese will melt into the bechamel.
Lemon wedges on the table.
Enjoy!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Oh wow puffin3, that sounds way more sophisticated than I have ever gone before! Using a fennel bulb is an interesting idea. I would definitely like to eat one of your mac and cheeses!

Tags
cheese