The Ultimate Mac & Cheese - What Should I Add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em6989

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

I have been a huge mac and cheese fan since I was a toddler (I am 31 now....that is a long time to be eating mac and cheese!) I am now wanting to switch it up a little bit and try something new with it.....

I've experimented with adding bacon, adding in lumps of cheese once it has cooled down to make little 'cheese bombs' as you eat, I have added toasted bread in triangles on the side, popped in some chilli.....how do you like to do yours?

Suggestions wanted so I can take my mac and cheese to a whole new level!

Em

I add a can of tomatoes to mine. I squish whole tomatoes with my hand and add it along with all the juice. Then I top it with breadcrumbs before I put it in the oven to get a nice crust on it.

And welcome to DC. This is a fun place full of laughs and information. :angel:

I made this one a few weeks ago, and to me, it was really good ( with a few changes)

Spinach and Artichoke Baked Whole Grain Pasta Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

I used regular pasta instead of whole grain ( whole grain consistency is a little grainy for me)

By accident I added all of the cheese when making the cheese sauce , then realized I should have saved the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to place on top. So I had grate more cheese for on top. In my opinion, it was a good mistake. Also, I used double the amount of artichoke hearts ( which also was a good intentional mistake). Gruyere is extremely expensive so I kinda used a mix of gruyere and fontina( which also worked well).

Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly, and I would definitely make it again.

Last edited:
I slice fresh tomatoes and place over the top before browning under the grill .Or, sometimes I also add strips of smoked salmon ( buy the cheaper offcuts) and mix in. That's really nice.

Nice ideas about the salmon and broccoli....of course that makes sense seeing as cheese and broccoli are amazing together!

I never use wholegrain pasta (it is what my mother always used and I never thought to break out into a different kind!). I might give that a go too just to switch it up a little bit.

I also use mature cheddar cheese a lot, other than Parmigiano-Reggiano mentioned before what other types of cheese have you used?

Start by making a roux using dextrinized flour. Keep the flour as white as you can while still heating the flour. 6 parts flour>5 parts clarified unsalted butter. Make sure to refrigerate the roux before adding the very hot whole milk. No cream. Then make a classic bechamel sauce but not too thick. Infuse the bechamel with pre-sauteed fine chopped fennel bulb and a shallot and a pinch of fresh ground nutmeg. Not too much. No other herbs/spices.
Al dente pasta of course.
Before serving gently fold into the bechamel some rough chopped pieces of smoked salmon/or any other smoked fish. I like using smoked whitefish very much but any firm pieces of smoked (must be smoked) fish is delicious. Careful of how much Kosher salt you use to season. The smoked fish will have some saltiness.
Large serving hot bowl/platter of the very hot (held in the oven covered if necessary) al dente pasta. No oil or butter on the pasta. You want to pasta to absorb and finish cooking the pasta in the hot bechamel which you pour over the pasta and gently fold in.
For this to work every component of the dish must be hot! Dish/pasta/bechamel. Only the smoked fish can be at room temp. before adding.
Garnish with a good amount of 'PR' or 'GP' fine grated cheese and a sprinkle of dried chili flakes and fine chopped fresh fennel fronds. If everything is hot enough,especially the serving bowl/platter the cheese will melt into the bechamel.
Lemon wedges on the table.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh wow puffin3, that sounds way more sophisticated than I have ever gone before! Using a fennel bulb is an interesting idea. I would definitely like to eat one of your mac and cheeses!

For my mac and cheese, I start by warming cream until it's near bubbling hot. I then add grated very sharp cheddar (aged 3 years or more), Extra sharp Pinconing, Havarti, and Asiago as it has a little stronger flavor than does Parmesiano. All cheese must be grated. Remove the hot cream from heat, and sprinkle in the cheeses until completely blended, and silky smooth.

My Stepfather, when alive, loved mac & cheese baked as a casserole, with the cheese being U.S. Commodities cheese, like that he'd grown up with during the WWII years. I have to admit, it makes pretty good mac & cheese. Me, I've even been known to throw in American Cheese, or Velveeta.

Choose a pasta that will really hold the cheese, like Fusili Rigati,Penne, cavetelli, or even shells. Add browned ground beef, or Kielbassa. Both breakfast sausage and Italian sausage will work in your cheese mac as well.

For a little different take, add a bit of chili powder, and some cooked chorizo, maybe a jalapeno or two.

The key to great mac & cheese is the kind of pasta, and your blend of cheeses. Some like their mac & cheese on the dry side, while others like it creamy and wet. The ingredients mentioned by everyone who has so far posted all work great. But with tomato, be careful. Too much tomato will turn your mac and cheese into something like tomato soup.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We love this Macaroni and Cheese My Way Recipe : Food Network and have been making it for years and years. We don't use large pasta shells, just regular shells or bow ties or whatever shaped pasta we decide to use or have on hand. Otherwise, we make it exactly like the recipe. We've always used tasso but I'm sure it would be good with regular bacon too.

Periodically, we also do a clean out the freezer cheese bag that has odds and bits of various leftover cheeses that we wrap up and then throw in a big bag. The results have ranged from sublime to okay. Unfortunately, I never measure or weigh when I make this so can never reproduce any of them.

The Ultimate Mac & Cheese - What Should I Add?

Not usually a fan of mac and cheese, but one of our favorite restaurants south of the border has lobster mac and cheese, very popular. They use a ridged small tube pasta, big chunks of lobster, really good mix of sharp and mild cheeses, and top it with crushed Cheetos. Muy bueno!

Last edited:
I tend to use a lot more words than I should.
The method is pretty straightforward and easy.
Bulb fennel goes well with any type of fish no matter the fish or how it's cooked. Fennel has a light licorice flavor.
The key is to make a bechamel the consistency of heavy cream.
Nothing worse than a glocky gummy mac and cheese IMO.
I like Manchester. Used to live in Winchester as a kid.

I also routinely add sliced tomatoes to the top and bread crumbs - this is my favorite way to make mac n cheese. The acid is a nice counterpoint to the cheese.

Another nice option is to incorporate several handfuls of fresh chopped parsley and some large chunks of palm heart.

Consider a change to a custard based mac n cheese with eggs for a twist and then include some chunks of herbed goat cheese, rolled in cornflake crumbs in the bake. Carefully push the goat cheese bombs into the filled baking dish. They will melt during cooking (the crumbs keep them intact) and become lovely melty flavor punches when served.

puffin, your first post looked more like a science text than mac and cheese recipes ever should! ;)

em, I'm another one who has made the sauce from bits and dabs of orphans cheeses. I also make my cheese sauce a simple way: melt butter, add equal amount flour, stir until they are blended smooth and just start to darken (I like my mac & cheese roux on the light golden side, not too brown). Then add your milk/cream, stir almost constantly until thickened. The common ration is 2 Tbsp butter/2 Tbsp flour/1 cup milk, one cup shredded cheese. I almost always use two cups cheese...:ermm: Every once in a while I get a taste for just a little sauteed onion flavor in the dish. At those times I just add the minced onion to the butter as it melts and cook until it becomes clear. (I use just a bit more butter-to-flour than I would without onion.) Then proceed with flour, etc.

Another fan of shaped pastas. The more wrinkles and twists, the more places for the clingy cheese sauce to latch onto. Yum!

When we have leftover ham, I like to add chunks of that into the mac & cheese. I've always wanted to try it using a Swiss-style cheese for the sauce, but never seem to have any on hand when the ham is in the fridge.

puffin, your first post looked more like a science text than mac and cheese recipes ever should! ;)

em, I'm another one who has made the sauce from bits and dabs of orphans cheeses. I also make my cheese sauce a simple way: melt butter, add equal amount flour, stir until they are blended smooth and just start to darken (I like my mac & cheese roux on the light golden side, not too brown). Then add your milk/cream, stir almost constantly until thickened. The common ration is 2 Tbsp butter/2 Tbsp flour/1 cup milk, one cup shredded cheese. I almost always use two cups cheese...:ermm: Every once in a while I get a taste for just a little sauteed onion flavor in the dish. At those times I just add the minced onion to the butter as it melts and cook until it becomes clear. (I use just a bit more butter-to-flour than I would without onion.) Then proceed with flour, etc.

Another fan of shaped pastas. The more wrinkles and twists, the more places for the clingy cheese sauce to latch onto. Yum!

When we have leftover ham, I like to add chunks of that into the mac & cheese. I've always wanted to try it using a Swiss-style cheese for the sauce, but never seem to have any on hand when the ham is in the fridge.
All food cooking is basic chemistry experiments. LOL
I'm lucky. Making excellent food is my life long hobby/passion. I have the time and resources to basically make whatever I like whenever I like.
Over fifty years of professional and home cooking I feel I've gained a certain level of accomplishment.
I'm on this forum to share the 'Inner Tennis' of creating excellent results.
I get that many don't have the time/money/energy to devote to the subject as I do. I was there once too. No worries.
For instance:
Last night I gave a birthday dinner for one of our sons. Now thirty.
I made what the family called the best 'BB' I had ever made. I've been making 'BB' for them since they were babies and every time it's always "the best you've ever made!" LOL. (That's b/c I splurged and bought an excellent bottle of Pinot Noir for the reduction) Served with a celeriac puree made by slow simmering five peeled/cubed celeriacs and two large cubed potatoes and two large sweet onions, a pinch of grated nutmeg/S&P in 4 C of whole milk and 4 C of water. I put the peelings into a cloth bag and allowed their flavor to infuse into the milk.
Removed the bag. Sieved out all the ingredients>cooled them>into the food processor with lots of unsalted clarified butter>added some of the infused milk to get the 'mashed potato-like texture right> then through a sieve leaving a creamy puree. Into an oven proof dish to keep nice and hot.
Served with steamed new whole baby carrots. Half an inch of the carrot tops left on of course.
My long winded point is I take a lot of pride in my cooking.
I hope some of my advice wears off on some here.

Last edited:
I use cream cheese to make it really creamy. I've also been known to use Swiss if I have some around. Velveeta is something I add also. We like to add browned hamburger and lemon pepper for a main dish. I love blue cheese so one time I added some to just my dish and didn't care for it much but you might like it.

Back
Top Bottom