"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheLemonSong
Kitchenelf- Chances of me "caving" are slim to none. I'll be the proudest man about my daughter because she'll be healthy and in good shape, not because I let her walk all over me and eat whatever she wants. As a parent I will NEVER (feel free to mark my words) let my children be wrapped around my finger to the point that it harms their future or damages their health and wellbeing.

Alix- If WWIII is coming my way because I'm willing to care enough to say no to Hotpockets, McDonalds, and a lack of proper nutrition, so be it. I am steadfast in desiring a long and prosperous life for anyone in my family, especially children if I ever have them! You can laugh about that if you'd like, but lets also face reality. Most people out there are undereducated about nutrition and relatively lazy. Obesity is one of the top killers of my generation and the generation before mine for that exact reason, and while I'm not obese but I'm certainly not healthy either (although I'm working hard at overcoming that issue). If I were to decide to let my child be the same way as I was growing up (or worse), I would be doing a great disservice to him/her.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #32
Everymom

LemonSong, just remember this conversation when you become a parent.

Yes a steady diet of highly processed food is bad for you. An occasional treat is a different story.

Remember, everything in moderation, INCLUDING moderation.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Paint,Thats a tough one I agree with Daisy they will not starve.When my mother cooked a meal and I would say I did not like it she would respond {Well then I guess your not that hungry go to bed.But I also say the pre packaged stuff is bad with the hidden trans fats but there are alternatives heck even cheetoos makes a bag with no tran fats.If you can get her to limit the unhealthy stuff to once or twice a week she can pick the days she can have them,she does like alot of good stuff so maybe play those things up.Another thing is dont keep those really unhealthy products in the house so she has to find another alternative.Sorry I fell like Im being hard on you .But its tough in America where we are constantly being bombarded with fast food advertising and the grocery stores dedicate entire isles to crap food.
Its hard enough on us much less a teenager but in the end you are the mom so lay down the law.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Remember, everything in moderation, INCLUDING moderation.
Spoken like a true Moderator, Alix!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:01 AM   #35
Head Chef

My brother was/is the worlds fussiest eater! He grew up on mashed potato with peas and peanut butter with the occasional scrambled egg thrown in! When he was very young every meal was a battlefield between him and my father, David would actually get so hysterical he would vomit sometimes. Eventually mum went to the doctor and he told her not to worry, that he was probably getting enough nutrients and that without meat he was probably better off. When my brother was about 15 I convinced him to rty a chicken nugget, then he would eat them every night for dinner until he was in his 20s!! He has gradually through his own choice branched out a bit more and eats chicken and some fish. he isn't a vegetarian really cause he hates most vegetables - his salad is lettuce and carrot!
In a nutshell, hard as it is just let your daughter go, make her responsible for her own meals or try to accommodate her with variations on things she likes. She will eventually sort out what she likes and will eat. I agree with who ever said don't give her the power in this, say "fine get your own dinner" and relax, she won't die of malnutrition with the list you have given of things she'll eat. You need to give yourself a break this is very difficult for you and you need to know that ou are doing a great job and you are a wonderful mum and she has the problem not you.
My 13 yr old would live on plain pasta with a bit of cheese if I let her!! I think they are all difficult, they just take different paths to get there lol.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Both of my daughters are soo pickey about potatoes. They will not eat mashed unless i make it, but i have to bake it first. They say they notice a difference if it's boiled or not because it tastes bad!
So being the 'oh soo mean dad' i put one potato in the oven, and boiled the rest while they were gone to trick them. Had dinner all nice and ready, they took one bite and my oldest said "dad, how could you"! This eight y/o kid caught me and knew exactly what i did!?

That's not all......She grounded me from boiling anything for a month, Seriously!

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
BBQ Chef - ROFLMAO - I can tell a huge difference in potato salad when the potatoes are boiled versus baked first - it IS in the texture!!!! lol - - Guess you shouldn't have raised such smart kids!!! lol AHHHH - we think we are doing so good to teach our children all the finer things about food - textures included - then this is what happens!!!

When my son was 2 he ate his first whole artichoke - I showed him what to do and he did quite nicely. About 6 months later I made them again and he just sat there - I continued to do things around the kitchen just watching him out of the corner of my eye to see if he'd try to tackle it on his own - finally I said - "what's wrong" - he looked at me with this really indignant look and said "WHERE is the butter"?

We do it to ourselves!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Kitchenelf, you just don't know the heap of trouble i'm in when time is not there and i try to cut corners.

These kids are so involved with cooking now, (THANKS Emeril, Giada, Racheal and all other food network people for making my days a few hours longer!) they actually know the concept of time (when to check on things and making well sure to tell me) and measurement, (My 8 y/o asked my 6 y/o if she could borrow her hand because she needs a "Teaspoon" of salt and not a "Tablespoon" that her hand equils)!

When i heard that, this was me---> !
And yes, we do it to ourselves!

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #39
Senior Cook

OK, I had a good look round the grocery store, and round my local wholefood store too....we found some solutions!!

I found low-fat (or trans fat/saturated fat free) versions of many of the foods she likes, and also some special treats that are healthier than the versions I usually buy (like low-fat, trans-fat free, saturated fat free, low sugar 'oreo-type' cookies). I am not going to buy ready-made pizza for her again, it is easy enough to make her own with a supply of pizza dough, low-salt pizza sauce and fat-free cheese. If she's eating meat, she can top it with low-fat turkey pepperoni. She can make her own mac & cheese with low-fat cheese. I can make healthy fruit-based desserts for the whole family (we don't usually eat dessert - but if it gets her to eat more fruit, then that's OK). I can at least continually educate her in choosing lower fat, lower sodium, lower sugar varieties of foods she likes!

She has done OK with her packed lunches - I was disappointed in that she didn't eat any of the fruit I gave her this week though. Her excuses were....

Mon: Kiwi... "My friend stole it from me"
Tues: Grapes..."They got squished in my lunchbox" (They looked perfectly fine to me)
Weds: Peach..."I don't like peaches, but I was going to try it - but it got bruised and soft so I didn't fancy it" (She needs to NOT throw her lunchbox around so much).
Thurs: Apple...she managed one bite out of it...Yay!!..the rest got thrown in the trash :(
Fri: Grapes....we'll see when she gets home - finger's crossed!

I just hate it when I buy expensive fresh produce for her and it just goes to waste or gets eaten by her friends Grrr...

Paint.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

I suspect one of the things that hurts a foodie most is their children's lack of interest in food.

I have two adult daughters that couldn't care less about learning how to cook or about using fresh, unprocessed ingredients rather than processed foods.

I still try, from time to time, to peak their interest. I bought them three ingredient cookbooks. One asked for a crock pot so I bought her one along with a crock pot cookbook. She doesn't use either.

My eldest can live on Oodles of Noodles. She has thrived on them since high school.

When they were younger, we would complain the their pediatrician about their eating habits. He told us they were doing fine and were healthy.

Maybe someday, if I live long enough, they'll see the light!