"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

it is so expensive you'd better be carrying a pistal if you're gonna import it, mac-jr.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Ohhhhh Bucky :roll: :)

Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

Mish - if you want to get an idea of what saffron taste like, check in your grocery store in the rice section for Mahatma (brand name) "Saffron Yellow (Seasonings & Long Grain) Rice". Heck, no I don't follow the directions exactly! Instead of the butter I'll start with either some EVOO, or lamb drippings, and sweat/saute a chopped onion in it ... then add the water and rice - then follow the rest of the directions on the package.

It makes a great side for roast lamb or chicken!

As everyone else noted - it is expensive, but you don't use much. If you have a middle eastern ethnic market you might want to check out their prices ... the last time I checked out McCormick I got sticker shock but was able to get about 4 times as much for $2 less at a middle eastern market.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You can also order it from www.penzeys.com

They have 3 varieties, 1 gm. for $10.95, $7.95, and $6.49.

:) Barbara
Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Thank you all for the input & observations.

Ishbel, I hate when that happens. When I see the word SALE, sometimes I get carried away -- thinking, one for me, & one for a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Mish - if you want to get an idea of what saffron taste like, check in your grocery store in the rice section for Mahatma (brand name) "Saffron Yellow (Seasonings & Long Grain) Rice". Heck, no I don't follow the directions exactly! Instead of the butter I'll start with either some EVOO, or lamb drippings, and sweat/saute a chopped onion in it ... then add the water and rice - then follow the rest of the directions on the package.

It makes a great side for roast lamb or chicken!

As everyone else noted - it is expensive, but you don't use much. If you have a middle eastern ethnic market you might want to check out their prices ... the last time I checked out McCormick I got sticker shock but was able to get about 4 times as much for $2 less at a middle eastern market.
GREAT idea, Michael. I've often seen Mahatma here in So. California. Will have to give it a try. Sounds yummy with lamb. Thank you!!!

Master, giiggling here, I'll go check ebay too, since it's one of my favorite hangouts (blushing).

BT, If you put the pistal down, I'll let the store manager go quietly. (You always make me giggle - you little devil :-])

Lately I've had Paella on the brain (re Saffron). Here's an article I came across & wanted to share. Made me feel as if I was strolling through sunny Spain & smelling the aroma of Paella being cooked...some interesting original recipes too.

P.S. If someone makes the Paella, heck, I'll bring the Saffron!

http://www.laespanolameats.com/press/press10.html
Old 03-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Cream of Tartar is one of the ingredients in baking powder, isn't it? Or did somebody already answer that question?

Pam

I can look it up in Joy of Cooking if you want:grin:
Old 03-11-2005, 04:59 AM   #17
Master Chef

Pam, I often wonder how anyone can cook without "Joy"! My grandmothers taught me to cook ... Irma taught me the how's and why's of cooking.

Yep - baking powder is generally a blend of: baking soda (a base), cream of tartar (an acid) and corn starch (the filler).
Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I could not agree more. When we decided to move to The Netherlands I bought a new copy. It is now 20 years old. I use it every week, for something.

Pam
Old 03-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #19
Master Chef

J of C was my bible when I first became serious about cooking well. I still use the recipes for puffs, and several other things. The book sits in a carefully gaurded spot as it's very old now, and the binding is just barely holding parts of the book together. I just don't want to replace it as I have heard that the newer, updated versions have lost some of the magic.

By the way, I always knew that simple baking powder was baking soda and cream of tartar. But what is double acting baking powder made from? It has a second set of acid/base ingrediants that don't activate until heat is applied. It gives you twice the leavening power of ordinary baking powder and is essential for some of my creations.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I used to know the answer to that question but I forget now. That happens when you pass 50. Otherwise I am fine.

Here in the Netherlands we only have one type of baking powder. I have to buy baking soda at an import shop.

Pam