Thick Country Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I'm making a home made Ceaser salad with home made garlic croutons. The croutons call for "Thick country bread" What do I use, as I have never seen a package called "Thick country bread"

Thank You. :)

I usually use French bread when I make croutons. You can find it in any grocery store. I think by country bread, they just mean a sturdy loaf of bread rather than the soft squishy kind.

Last edited:
Texas Toast may be something you can use, although I'm not sure of its availability everywhere. It can be bought in the bread aisle at the grocery store where I live here in Georgia. It's basically just thick sliced white bread. It's about double the thickness of normal white bread. A lot of country restaurants around here will serve it buttered as the bread item of an entrée.

I used to work at a steakhouse when I lived in Louisiana and they made their croutons from normal white sandwich bread. For whatever reason, I remember specifically that they used Evangeline Maid brand sandwich bread, which is sold widely in South Louisiana. Those croutons were quite good, too.

Back
Top Bottom