"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Thick or Thin Burger Patties???

I watch a lot of food videos on YouTube, and I see a lot of burger videos. Some of them feature big, thick patties, and some feature big, thin patties.

I actually prefer a big, thin patty, like a smashburger, or my favorite fast-food burger, a Whataburger.

I like the char-to-meat ratio on a thinner patty. It has more flavor, IMHO. You can't do a proper medium-rare cook on a thin patty, but as much as I like my steaks medium rare, I prefer my burgers well done. The texture of a medium-rare burger seems "mushy" to me. A thick, well-done burger tastes like a bland mini meatloaf on a bun, to me. Besides, I have been served some burgers that I can't fit into my mouth, which makes me work too hard to eat what may be a good burger, otherwise.

Do you have a preference? If so, what is it?

CD

Old 08-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I watch a lot of food videos on YouTube, and I see a lot of burger videos. Some of them feature big, thick patties, and some feature big, thin patties.

I actually prefer a big, thin patty, like a smashburger, or my favorite fast-food burger, a Whataburger.

I like the char-to-meat ratio on a thinner patty. It has more flavor, IMHO. You can't do a proper medium-rare cook on a thin patty, but as much as I like my steaks medium rare, I prefer my burgers well done. The texture of a medium-rare burger seems "mushy" to me. A thick, well-done burger tastes like a bland mini meatloaf on a bun, to me. Besides, I have been served some burgers that I can't fit into my mouth, which makes me work too hard to eat what may be a good burger, otherwise.

Do you have a preference? If so, what is it?

CD
I don’t like burgers much to begin with, but when I do have a craving for one, I tend towards the thinner patties as a preference. Smash Burger is just about perfect, and In-and-Out is a very close second. I do like the burger to fit inside the bun, though, so either small patties or oversized buns. And lots of toppings to disguise that meat taste! Bleu cheese is my fave!

Old 08-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
Master Chef

When making sliders, I tend to go on the thin side, but for a huge burger on the Egg, gotta go thick. Cook at a low temp then crank up for a great sear. I'm going to make Ollie Burgers very soon!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:44 AM   #4
Head Chef

I prefer medium thickness, probably a half inch or so. I cook them medium well, mostly for safety reasons.

Serving a meatball on a bun seems to be the trendy thing in a lot of restaurants, but it doesn't make for easy eating. Some of them use buns that don't hold up to the meat juices, and it pretty much turns to mush by the end of the burger. I use Martin's potato rolls at home.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #5
Sous Chef

KC, have you tried a Keller's Speciecial *1 at the old Car Hop on Loop 12? there may still be the old original place in Keller Springs. Really nice micro thin big burger. They make a version of it here in Austin at Hut's Hamburgers, but it is Way to big.

Eric, Austin Tx.
giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I prefer medium thickness, probably a half inch or so. I cook them medium well, mostly for safety reasons.

Serving a meatball on a bun seems to be the trendy thing in a lot of restaurants, but it doesn't make for easy eating. Some of them use buns that don't hold up to the meat juices, and it pretty much turns to mush by the end of the burger. I use Martin's potato rolls at home.
When I make meatball sliders, I put a piece of cheese (usually provolone) on the bottom bun. That helps quite a bit to keep the buns from getting soggy. I also flatten the meatball into a patty before putting them on the grill. I let everyone put the sauce on themselves. +1 for Martin's potato buns.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
I couldn't agree with you more.
I know its strange hearing it from a vegetarian , but not only back in the day when I ate meat, but even now with the introduction of the veggie " Impossible Burger" or "Beyond Meat Burgers", They package them very thick. I press them down a bit to be bigger and thinner for two reasons.

Frst, as you mentioned, the char to meat ratio ( to me ) is better.
Secondly, I prefer my burgers on a kaiser roll than a typical burger bun. The kaiser rolls are significantly bigger, and nothing I hate more than taking a big bite out of a burger and getting nothing other than a mouth full of bread. The bigger thinner patty fits the buns I use much better.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
Head Chef

I prefer and make smaller, thinner patties...

My very favorite cheeseburgers are those made in an old fashioned diner on a very old flat grill.. Burgers prepared on a well used flat grill impart flavors which cannot be duplicated at home.. I know many will shudder but, if the bun has a slight sheen of grease on it, all the better.. Not fancy, not gourmet, just greasy deliciousness..

We don't go to Caspers too often but I love their heavenly burgers..

https://www.caspersdiner.com/

Ross
Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Master Chef

Both have their place around here..when we have people over, I like to make small 4 oz burgers with classic Wonder bread (supermarket) buns..this way, somebody can have a regular style burger and maybe a hot dog also..
Occasionally, when I do up some fresh ground beef, or local stuff, I'll go whole hog and make a big, gourmet burger cooked to medium...maybe add some funky stuff like different meats, cheese or mushrooms, etc...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I prefer a thicker burger cooked medium. Lately we've been having them on an onion roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2e24.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	30911