Thick or Thin Burger Patties???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I watch a lot of food videos on YouTube, and I see a lot of burger videos. Some of them feature big, thick patties, and some feature big, thin patties.

I actually prefer a big, thin patty, like a smashburger, or my favorite fast-food burger, a Whataburger.

I like the char-to-meat ratio on a thinner patty. It has more flavor, IMHO. You can't do a proper medium-rare cook on a thin patty, but as much as I like my steaks medium rare, I prefer my burgers well done. The texture of a medium-rare burger seems "mushy" to me. A thick, well-done burger tastes like a bland mini meatloaf on a bun, to me. Besides, I have been served some burgers that I can't fit into my mouth, which makes me work too hard to eat what may be a good burger, otherwise.

Do you have a preference? If so, what is it?

CD

Last edited:
I watch a lot of food videos on YouTube, and I see a lot of burger videos. Some of them feature big, thick patties, and some feature big, thin patties.

I actually prefer a big, thin patty, like a smashburger, or my favorite fast-food burger, a Whataburger.

I like the char-to-meat ratio on a thinner patty. It has more flavor, IMHO. You can't do a proper medium-rare cook on a thin patty, but as much as I like my steaks medium rare, I prefer my burgers well done. The texture of a medium-rare burger seems "mushy" to me. A thick, well-done burger tastes like a bland mini meatloaf on a bun, to me. Besides, I have been served some burgers that I can't fit into my mouth, which makes me work too hard to eat what may be a good burger, otherwise.

Do you have a preference? If so, what is it?

CD
I don’t like burgers much to begin with, but when I do have a craving for one, I tend towards the thinner patties as a preference. Smash Burger is just about perfect, and In-and-Out is a very close second. I do like the burger to fit inside the bun, though, so either small patties or oversized buns. And lots of toppings to disguise that meat taste! Bleu cheese is my fave!

When making sliders, I tend to go on the thin side, but for a huge burger on the Egg, gotta go thick. Cook at a low temp then crank up for a great sear. I'm going to make Ollie Burgers very soon!:yum:

I prefer medium thickness, probably a half inch or so. I cook them medium well, mostly for safety reasons.

Serving a meatball on a bun seems to be the trendy thing in a lot of restaurants, but it doesn't make for easy eating. Some of them use buns that don't hold up to the meat juices, and it pretty much turns to mush by the end of the burger. I use Martin's potato rolls at home.

KC, have you tried a Keller's Speciecial *1 at the old Car Hop on Loop 12? there may still be the old original place in Keller Springs. Really nice micro thin big burger. They make a version of it here in Austin at Hut's Hamburgers, but it is Way to big.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I prefer medium thickness, probably a half inch or so. I cook them medium well, mostly for safety reasons.

Serving a meatball on a bun seems to be the trendy thing in a lot of restaurants, but it doesn't make for easy eating. Some of them use buns that don't hold up to the meat juices, and it pretty much turns to mush by the end of the burger. I use Martin's potato rolls at home.

When I make meatball sliders, I put a piece of cheese (usually provolone) on the bottom bun. That helps quite a bit to keep the buns from getting soggy. I also flatten the meatball into a patty before putting them on the grill. I let everyone put the sauce on themselves. +1 for Martin's potato buns.

CD

I couldn't agree with you more.
I know its strange hearing it from a vegetarian , but not only back in the day when I ate meat, but even now with the introduction of the veggie " Impossible Burger" or "Beyond Meat Burgers", They package them very thick. I press them down a bit to be bigger and thinner for two reasons.

Frst, as you mentioned, the char to meat ratio ( to me ) is better.
Secondly, I prefer my burgers on a kaiser roll than a typical burger bun. The kaiser rolls are significantly bigger, and nothing I hate more than taking a big bite out of a burger and getting nothing other than a mouth full of bread. The bigger thinner patty fits the buns I use much better.

I prefer and make smaller, thinner patties...

My very favorite cheeseburgers are those made in an old fashioned diner on a very old flat grill.. Burgers prepared on a well used flat grill impart flavors which cannot be duplicated at home.. I know many will shudder but, if the bun has a slight sheen of grease on it, all the better.. Not fancy, not gourmet, just greasy deliciousness..

We don't go to Caspers too often but I love their heavenly burgers..

https://www.caspersdiner.com/

Ross

Both have their place around here..when we have people over, I like to make small 4 oz burgers with classic Wonder bread (supermarket) buns..this way, somebody can have a regular style burger and maybe a hot dog also..
Occasionally, when I do up some fresh ground beef, or local stuff, I'll go whole hog and make a big, gourmet burger cooked to medium...maybe add some funky stuff like different meats, cheese or mushrooms, etc...

Last edited:
I prefer a thicker burger cooked medium. Lately we've been having them on an onion roll.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2e24.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2e24.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 216
I prefer thicker as well. In fact, I'll go a step further and make a Jucy Lucy, or "Daddy's Special" burger as my son used to call them when he was little.

One thin patty, a lump of Boursin cheese, then encase it with another thin to medium thick patty.

I

CD
I AGREE with everything you mentioned!!
I do like my burgers cooked in a cast iron pan the best. I like my burger on a small Kaiser roll and the burger has to be the same size. I also hate to take a bite and only have a mouth full bread. The cheese is usually American and/or Muenster. If I make a stuffed burger I will stuff with gouda, blue or brie.

Veggie burgers I usually have to pre cook first, then finish it off on the grill to get the bbq/ char flavor. They are a lot dryer so will usually burn on the grill before cooking through. Some of them usually fall apart too if not precooked ( however the directions say to pre cook ( which varies brand to brand)

I like fried onions also on the bottom, so with both of those my bottom bun wouldn't stand a chance...

I hear ya.

Fried onions are great on a burger.
Kinda tying this in with the ' Deli thread', years ago i got a burger at a local deli and they put fried mushrooms and onions on top, nothing else ( no cheese, tomato ...) and it was perfect. It kinda opened my eyes to al the things you can do to a burger to change things up a bit. ( I was a kid at the time and to me, up until that time, a burger was something you get at a fast food joint)

I like fried onions also on the bottom, so with both of those my bottom bun wouldn't stand a chance...

I AGREE with everything you mentioned!!
I do like my burgers cooked in a cast iron pan the best. I like my burger on a small Kaiser roll and the burger has to be the same size. I also hate to take a bite and only have a mouth full bread. The cheese is usually American and/or Muenster. If I make a stuffed burger I will stuff with gouda, blue or brie.
OH I forgot the pickles, ketchup and fried onions.

Last edited:
I miss having burger cooked over charcoal briquettes. I went to the dark side (propane and propane accessories) about a decade ago.

Driving home at noon today, the West Side highway had the smell of charcoal and lighter fluid all along the strip in the 120s to the 160s that borders the park on the Hudson.
Later today, it will smell of burgers, chicken, and various Latin American spiced dishes.

I must look like a dog with his nose out the window enjoying the ride.

Back
Top Bottom