Thin spicy tomato sauce question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cablecar

Assistant Cook
I had this wonderful pasta dish in a restaurant that closed, so I can't ever have the dish again or ask how to make it. I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the sauce.

Basically, it was very thin, but I believe tomato based (almost like it was some type of oil or wine mixed with the tomato) It was also spicy (that may have been from the sausage). The rest of the dish was rigatoni, sausage, bell peppers, olives, and mushrooms. Any idea how to make the dish or just what type of sauce it is so I can attempt to recreate it? Thanks!

How about a clue as to where you had this, such as the name of the restaurant and what city, town, or highway it was in/on? Someone here may have had it also, or perhaps even worked at that restaurant.

Caine said:
How about a clue as to where you had this, such as the name of the restaurant and what city, town, or highway it was in/on? Someone here may have had it also, or perhaps even worked at that restaurant.

It was a tiny restaurant in a remote location: Spiotta's in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey. The dish was called Rigatoni Zangara I believe. It's off of Route 22/78 in Hunterdon County, NJ.

Where'd my post go, lol. First thing that came to mind is a no-cook fresh tomato sauce I use often on my pasta in the summer. Dice up your tomatoes, add chopped garlic, red wine vinegar and evoo, fresh herbs of choice - basil or oregano - combine the fresh tomato mixture with the cooked rigatoni, sausage, bell peppers, olives, and mushrooms. Sprinkle the top with fresh grated Parmesan, if you desire. You could kick it up & add spinach to the mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom