Things I Don't Buy Anymore (because I make them)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Late Night Gourmet

Assistant Cook
This whole cooking thing started for me as a way to make some specific things, beginning with guacamole. Now, whenever I find something I like, I want to figure out how to make it myself.

This means that I no longer buy (except in rare circumstances) the following anymore:

• Ice Cream
  • Naan Bread / Pita Bread
  • Rolls / Buns
  • Guacamole and Salsa
  • Kimchi, Pickles
  • Gnocchi, Pasta
  • Coconut Soup, Hot & Sour Soup...actually, any stew, chowder, or soup
  • Sausage
  • Tater Tots

I will, of course, eat these things at restaurants. But, I won't get them for carry-out or otherwise buy them, since I think I do a better job. :cool:

Lots of stuff...

• Wine
  • Sauerkraut
  • Mayo
  • Mustard
  • Hot Sauce
  • Salad Dressings
  • Sour Cream
  • Pickles
  • Pizza Sauce
  • Meat Stock
  • Ketchup
  • Spice Blends

I could go on and on, but the short answer is that there really isn't anything I eat that comes in a box or packet. Occasionally, I'll buy something that comes in a can, but only when it's very inconvenient to make myself. For example, coconut milk. Right now, I have two canned food items in my entire pantry.

Chives. I dice them up, quick freeze them by laying them on a cookie sheet in the freezer.
Stores used to sell cups of frozen chives awhile back.

Last edited:
You're reminding me of some things (dressings and sauces)...and, I used to brew beer, but stopped when my wife got pregnant the first time (the hypersensitive nose doesn't like the smell of hops, it would seem).
I used to brew beer for years but my second wife pleaded for me to stop because the unfiltered brew made me fart like crazy..

Humus
Salad Dressing
Whipped cream
Popsicles
tartar sauce
Cakes
cookies
soup

and...
I shred my own cheese.

I actually also shred my own cheese, reason being I pick a kind that has zero or low lactose levels and there is not starch added to the cheese to avoid clumping.

The trick to freezing it is , lay it flat on a tray and freeze for 30- 60 minutes and then in bags.

I be honest, I cook most stuff from scratch.
But lactose free ice cream from scratch is hell and I dont do it. Mayo the same, I dont have the strength or the right gear to make it.
I have a balcony, there is no way I could during the short summer month grow enough tomatoes, corn and beans to can them. Heck so far my balcony over 2 years has produce 10 tomatoes.
I am no lesser of a cook just because I make due with that I have and buy things in the store.

We make things like guacamole, meatballs and gnocchi because the commercially available products are pretty gross to us. We'll make ravioli for the same reason. I'll make various breads if it's something special, but for something like Cuban bread or French bread then we'll buy it. We'll make pasta if it's for a special dish. We do make our own soups, etc. We make some sausages that are hard to get. It just depends for other things on whether there is a decent commercial product availabke.

That's crazy..Can you share your recipe?

Sure but it's complicated....

How to shred your own cheese

Ingredients List: Solid Cheese
Special tools: Box grater

Method:

1. Unwrap cheese and remove any inedible bits (rinds, mold etc)
2. Place one hand on the handle or top of the box grater to stabilize. Holding the block of cheese, press firmly against shredder surface of the grater and rub up and down or back and forth until shreds appear below.

Notes:
DO NOT skip step 1. Very important
DO NOT shred fingers; bloody cheese is uncool

Is grating your own cheese an Art or is it Science? In any event, I too grate my own.

I also make:
bread crumbs
grind my own coffee beans
pastry crusts
Pesto
guac
meatballs
grow most herbs
grow raspberries, blueberries, apples (harrelson and honey crisp)
hollandaise sauce
gravy
most salad dressings ( I admit I am a sucker for Catalina French)

Dx makes good homemade mayo and yogurt and of course, keeps me well supplied with chocolate chip cookies.

Pizza! I almost always make my own pizza, only in rare emergencies do I get pizza pizza.

Bread
spaghetti sauce (but I admit to doctoring Prego in a pinch)
cookies, pastries, pies (I can't stand store bought pie now)

I actually also shred my own cheese, reason being I pick a kind that has zero or low lactose levels and there is not starch added to the cheese to avoid clumping.

The trick to freezing it is , lay it flat on a tray and freeze for 30- 60 minutes and then in bags.

I shred my own cheese too, but only as I need it. I don't do enough at one time to have to hassle with freezing. I never know if the next time I'll want it sliced for a sandwich, so I just slice or shred enough for what I'm doing at the time.

Hmmm, I'll probably forget some stuff but:

hummus
chicken stock
english muffins
bagels
hamburger buns
pies
cookies
soups
stews
braises
pizza
pasta sauces
meatballs
pasta (sometimes)
ice cream (sometimes)
whipped cream
gravy
pesto
corn bread
muffins

The shredding cheese conversation and the recipe, well, thank you I needed to hear that. I laughed, thank you.

I've made soap for more than 15 years, and laundry soap too.
I just started making my own cheese, I love it so far. It's a lot of work but it tastes like God is smiling on us. Today I'm making colby.
I make most of our food. I find it more a challenge to get some foods, like salt for instance, as it can't be grown on a tree or in a garden. Spices, oils of all kinds, meats.

Sure but it's complicated....

How to shred your own cheese

Ingredients List: Solid Cheese
Special tools: Box grater

Method:

1. Unwrap cheese and remove any inedible bits (rinds, mold etc)
2. Place one hand on the handle or top of the box grater to stabilize. Holding the block of cheese, press firmly against shredder surface of the grater and rub up and down or back and forth until shreds appear below.

Notes:
DO NOT skip step 1. Very important
DO NOT shred fingers; bloody cheese is uncool

Too much, way too much prep time and the special equipment, lordy!

Back
Top Bottom