"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I am learning to go to the grocery store more often, so I have less shopping in one go. That way I still have the energy to make supper when I get home.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #92
Everymom

I learned that if the sale is really good you better get your butt to the store on day #1 no matter how much snow is out there or you're SOL.

I also learned that I'm not the only one who names my vehicles.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #93
Master Chef

Today I spent much of my morning at a funeral. I learned the following:

There are some sorts of church services I really don't like. Raised Catholic, and like the structure of mass that I've been to in many funerals no, not just Catholic). I guess it says something negative about me, but listening to preachers give there opinions for an hour? At least at Catholic (and Episcopalian and other religions with a liturgical service), you can move a bit.

I've learned that with the hip thing sitting for an hour straight (I think we stood for two hymns) makes it almost impossible to walk down stairs. My poor husband thought I was going to fall down the stairs. No, I stopped, took a moment to balance myself, and walked down the two flights of stairs to street level.

I learned how tacky I can be. I have a handicapped thingie that I nowadays never use. I need to walk, and not only do I not use it, I park away to get myself to walk more. Well, this was a funeral and there was no parking besides the library (and I'm a really, really regular user and patron of the library), which had one space left ... the handicapped spot. I took it. Made a point of going into the library after the funeral (the deceased was a very, very respected member of the community and I will miss her). I feel I was tacky in taking that slot when maybe someone else might have needed it. My handicapped thingie is good until January, and I don't think I've used it for a month.

What I'm getting at is one thing I already sort of knew about myself. I cannot stand to sit for an hour (or in some cases, hours) and listen to ... well, anything. This happened to be a funeral, and I happen to have a problem if I don't get up and move every 15-20 minutes. It was strictly physical today, and it was no big deal. Had the service lasted any longer, I'd have walked to the back of the church and walked around a bit, and about a third of the people there know me and would not have thought a thing about it.

Using the handicap thing when I really didn't need it bothered me ... for about ten minutes. I could have walked to the church from my house, but my husband was concerned that it was too cold for my hip.

But I guess today was about self-knowledge.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I learned that the kid with the 4 foot long dreadlocks is a nice kid and respectful. His name is Albert and he misses his Mom, been in Missoula since August. He's from California.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

I learned that I CAN use a Santoku knife. That one should always sift cocoa to avoid the "lumps," that I really like a julienne peeler for making julienne strips, and a different way to use a honing tool. And, that I really do not like farm implements sharing the road with me (but I already knew that--a friend almost had a run-in with a farm implement this week as well in broad daylight).
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #96
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I learned that I CAN use a Santoku knife. That one should always sift cocoa to avoid the "lumps," that I really like a julienne peeler for making julienne strips, and a different way to use a honing tool. And, that I really do not like farm implements sharing the road with me (but I already knew that--a friend almost had a run-in with a farm implement this week as well in broad daylight).
My mom and I drove across the country, from Ohio to Washington state, back in the 50's, and one of my most vivid memories is to see one of those big implements -- a combine, probably -- coming at us, seeming to take up the entire width of the road. Scared the bejeebers out of us. Glad your recent run-in was no worse.

Back then, they told us that the farming equipment was so expensive the ordinary farm could not afford to buy them, and at harvest time the combines (I think) would travel from farm to farm. Is that the case these days?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
My mom and I drove across the country, from Ohio to Washington state, back in the 50's, and one of my most vivid memories is to see one of those big implements -- a combine, probably -- coming at us, seeming to take up the entire width of the road. Scared the bejeebers out of us. Glad your recent run-in was no worse.

Back then, they told us that the farming equipment was so expensive the ordinary farm could not afford to buy them, and at harvest time the combines (I think) would travel from farm to farm. Is that the case these days?
Yup--it is still a very much contract business. And, I suspect the drivers get paid by the load. They are really scary--I have to go out to the farm to check on Rocky and his new girls--don't want to be driving home in the dark and will probably take the long way home on the 401/416 instead of the back roads. Don't need another one of those incidents.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Yup--it is still a very much contract business. And, I suspect the drivers get paid by the load. They are really scary--I have to go out to the farm to check on Rocky and his new girls--don't want to be driving home in the dark and will probably take the long way home on the 401/416 instead of the back roads. Don't need another one of those incidents.
How did your "incident" turn out? Did you make a police report? Is it being considered his fault? How's the Volvo?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

I write the date and contents on plastic containers with a Sharpie. I take it off with rubbing alcohol and a J-Cloth (like a Handy Wipe). I learned that if the J-Cloth is dry when I use it, I can rinse all the ink out. If it is damp, not so much. Who would have guessed?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I write the date and contents on plastic containers with a Sharpie. I take it off with rubbing alcohol and a J-Cloth (like a Handy Wipe). I learned that if the J-Cloth is dry when I use it, I can rinse all the ink out. If it is damp, not so much. Who would have guessed?
Huh. I use masking tape and a Sharpie, this sounds easier.