Things I learned this week...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you put "bread rounds" in parentheses because proper Scandinavian sandwiches aren't round? Or weren't you making them on the proper heavy rye bread?
I wasn't making "round" ones (and I used quotes, not parentheses <g>), but I did use a decorative cutter (kinda a daisy-like one) to do them. And then the lettuce and the meat/salmon were cut using the same cutter. LP--EVOO for the potato salad or a canola-EVOO blend would work as well.

Last edited:
I wasn't making "round" ones (and I used quotes, not parentheses <g>), but I did use a decorative cutter (kinda a daisy-like one) to do them. And then the lettuce and the meat/salmon were cut using the same cutter. LP--EVOO for the potato salad or a canola-EVOO blend would work as well.
D'oh! :doh: You are quite right. It was quotes, not parens.

I learned that a piece of fishing line works great if you have a lot of eggs to slice for deviled eggs. Tie it onto something (a drawer handle works) and it makes clean work of slicing hardboiled eggs for deviled eggs. I like to slice mine in half horizontally and cut off the bottom so that the egg cup stands up.

Yesterday I learned, for the last time, I swear, never, Never, NEVER to swish the beef cubes around in seasoned flour to thicken the stock when making beef stew. I made an "all out" stew, and roasted ribs for four hours to make a really good broth. I also added Worcestershire sauce, something that I learned from an on line recipe a few years back and decided to check online to see if I could find anything new. I didn't. One guy recommended searing the beef in "extra virgin olive oil" and seasoning the beef with "sea salt", yikes! He also mentioned the popular method of coating the beef with flour. I did, and as I have done before, I got a collection of flour on the bottopm of the French oven that started to burn. Not much, but enough to give a slight taste to the stew. I didn't cook the stew at more than a simmer, so I am at a loss to know why I have this problem. But NEVER AGAIN. From now on, I follow the excellent practice of cooking the stew, straining off the broth and thickening it with roux until I get the consistency and seasoning I want! BTW ABS plastic putty knives that cost under $4.00 at yr local hardware store are great for scraping the gunk off yr enameled pots without scratching them.
Cheers
And for those who lit a candle at sundown, Hanukkah sameach!

Back
Top Bottom