"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Did you put "bread rounds" in parentheses because proper Scandinavian sandwiches aren't round? Or weren't you making them on the proper heavy rye bread?
I wasn't making "round" ones (and I used quotes, not parentheses <g>), but I did use a decorative cutter (kinda a daisy-like one) to do them. And then the lettuce and the meat/salmon were cut using the same cutter. LP--EVOO for the potato salad or a canola-EVOO blend would work as well.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #142
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I wasn't making "round" ones (and I used quotes, not parentheses <g>), but I did use a decorative cutter (kinda a daisy-like one) to do them. And then the lettuce and the meat/salmon were cut using the same cutter. LP--EVOO for the potato salad or a canola-EVOO blend would work as well.
D'oh! You are quite right. It was quotes, not parens.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #143
Chef Extraordinaire

I learned that a piece of fishing line works great if you have a lot of eggs to slice for deviled eggs. Tie it onto something (a drawer handle works) and it makes clean work of slicing hardboiled eggs for deviled eggs. I like to slice mine in half horizontally and cut off the bottom so that the egg cup stands up.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #144
Cook

Yesterday I learned, for the last time, I swear, never, Never, NEVER to swish the beef cubes around in seasoned flour to thicken the stock when making beef stew. I made an "all out" stew, and roasted ribs for four hours to make a really good broth. I also added Worcestershire sauce, something that I learned from an on line recipe a few years back and decided to check online to see if I could find anything new. I didn't. One guy recommended searing the beef in "extra virgin olive oil" and seasoning the beef with "sea salt", yikes! He also mentioned the popular method of coating the beef with flour. I did, and as I have done before, I got a collection of flour on the bottopm of the French oven that started to burn. Not much, but enough to give a slight taste to the stew. I didn't cook the stew at more than a simmer, so I am at a loss to know why I have this problem. But NEVER AGAIN. From now on, I follow the excellent practice of cooking the stew, straining off the broth and thickening it with roux until I get the consistency and seasoning I want! BTW ABS plastic putty knives that cost under $4.00 at yr local hardware store are great for scraping the gunk off yr enameled pots without scratching them.
Cheers
And for those who lit a candle at sundown, Hanukkah sameach!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #145
Cook

Potatoes soaked in salt water for 20 minutes before baking will help them bake faster.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #146
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-Peter View Post
Potatoes soaked in salt water for 20 minutes before baking will help them bake faster.
I can't figure out why that would work. Please explain.