Things I learned this week...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned that the white-skinned sweet potatoes I bought at the farm market yesterday are purple inside - very pretty, but not as sweet as the orange-colored ones. Maybe they get sweeter when roasted. I tasted a few raw slices first.

I learned that the farm had filled a restaurant chef's order for over a hundred cucumber blossoms, for use as garnishes. Also, they're edible --I tasted one, which had a very mild and nice cuke flavor.

I also learned that when the cat accidentally pees a smelly little spot on the jeans you have just put on to go out in (glad I don't have to diagram that), if you spray Febreze on the pee spot until it's wet, after it dries, the smell goes away and there is no tell-tale mark.

I also learned that when the cat accidentally pees a smelly little spot on the jeans you have just put on to go out in (glad I don't have to diagram that), if you spray Febreze on the pee spot until it's wet, after it dries, the smell goes away and there is no tell-tale mark.
I'll bet that is something you wished you hadn't had to learn. ;)

I learned how to sear chicken breasts, and I learned I need to do a better job of reading recipe directions after I started cooking broccoli hache and didn't realize the recipe called for chopping up and cooking the stalk as well. Um.....oops?

Snap! I learned how to use the dumpling moulds (er.. molds), 4 in a packet, that I got from Amazon last week. They work nicely for gyozas, too, since I don't have a helper and have to make a batch by next Wednesday.
I learned how to make "one rise" bread from a lovely Englishwoman: Easy Bread Recipe - Faster than a bread machine - YouTube though I am not sure that I'll make it a staple of my limited bread making repertoire. Check it out, particularly the kids at the end :) @Panfreak: Your excellent video would benefit from a couple of super-cute kids sampling your wares at the end and rolling their eyes. If you don't have any of your own, you'll find that neighborhood kids are easily bribed.
I also learned that Richard Ford's brilliant The Sportswriter is less a novel than an integrated collection of short stories, but that probably belongs in a different forum!
Cheers.

PS - that was the Febreze Pet Odor Eliminator variety

and, yes, I actually wish I didn't have to learn that :LOL:

I've learned tha pumpkin pie filling can be made without flour, how to make peanut butter bars, that mayo can be used in cakes and that American cuisine is not that different from South African.

I learned I need to watch my niece when I give her measuring instructions.
We made pizza and when I told her 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast she put in 2 1/4 tablespoons.
Wahooo talk about dough rising.
It came out ok and tasted good. I was surprised the yeast taste wasn't overpowering.

I learned that I am not as strong emotionally as I always thought I was. Hard lesson to learn. I need help. :angel:

I learned to make tempura veggies for a crowd...and used a deep fryer for the first time! Those things let off a lot of heat! I was dripping with sweat...ewww

I learned to make tempura veggies for a crowd...and used a deep fryer for the first time! Those things let off a lot of heat! I was dripping with sweat...ewww

You are braver than I. There are a few things that I really like deep-fried, and I have done it, but don't like to and haven't for years!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom