Things I learned this week...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also learned/discovered that my $89 shop vacuum from Home Depot makes a great leaf blower. The deck was covered with leaves, I'm usually not too anal about leaves and racking them, but the leaves were getting caught in the dog's pants and he had been bringing them in the house. Hilda Hustomte (the Roomba vacuum) has not liked the extra work. The shop vac either "sucks things up" or "blows them out." An extension cord, swapping the vacuum nozzle to "blow" instead of suck, and 10 minutes of my time, the deck was cleared of leaves. Who needs to a leaf blower when the shop vac will do?

I also learned/discovered that my $89 shop vacuum from Home Depot makes a great leaf blower. The deck was covered with leaves, I'm usually not too anal about leaves and racking them, but the leaves were getting caught in the dog's pants and he had been bringing them in the house. Hilda Hustomte (the Roomba vacuum) has not liked the extra work. The shop vac either "sucks things up" or "blows them out." An extension cord, swapping the vacuum nozzle to "blow" instead of suck, and 10 minutes of my time, the deck was cleared of leaves. Who needs to a leaf blower when the shop vac will do?

I know shop vacs are for shops/garages, but will they work safely in the yard? I have put down a gravel path under an oak tree with little narrow leaves that strangely enough drop into the gravel. I'd like to use a blower on them -- a vac app if you will -- but would rather not electrocute myself in the process. What do you think?

I learned that if you use fat free greek yogurt to make tatzhiki it will taste like
garlic-y chalk. It is one of those times that "fat-free" is equavalent to "taste-free."

I learned that you can actually make a tasty moist chocolate cake without eggs, dairy, wheat, gluten, soy or chocolate! It actually called for raw cacao and chocolate flavoured almond milk! :cool:

LPBeier said:
I learned that you can actually make a tasty moist chocolate cake without eggs, dairy, wheat, gluten, soy or chocolate! It actually called for raw cacao and chocolate flavoured almond milk! :cool:

Recipe please!

CWS4322 said:

:LOL: I have a friend who uses the "suck" setting on her lawn and vacuums up the leaves. She's a bit anal. We've used the shop vac after cutting down trees to get up the sawdust/chunks from the lawn.

I learned that your oven temperature indicated on your oven display or dial isn't necessarily the temperature in your oven!

Like? I could always use the American names if i know what you're referring to :)

I am too lazy to go back and see what it is you call zucchini. Corrigets or something like that. When you had them last week I had to google it.:chef: I know you try but I guess you are not always aware that we have different names for some foods.

I am too lazy to go back and see what it is you call zucchini. Corrigets or something like that. When you had them last week I had to google it.:chef: I know you try but I guess you are not always aware that we have different names for some foods.

Ok :LOL:
We have 3 names for zucchini. Baby marrows, courgettes or zucchini. I'll say zucchini from now on! So one down, I'll see what else as I go :angel:

I know shop vacs are for shops/garages, but will they work safely in the yard? I have put down a gravel path under an oak tree with little narrow leaves that strangely enough drop into the gravel. I'd like to use a blower on them -- a vac app if you will -- but would rather not electrocute myself in the process. What do you think?
I have outdoor outlets that are appropriately grounded. I just plug in an extension cord that has "3" prongs, plug in the shop vac, flip the suction to "out" and go to town. If you have properly grounded outlets, it should not be a problem. Or, plug the extension cord in an outlet in the house, plug in the vac, and away you go. I can send you a PM re: how to avoid getting electrocuted. I have an "anal" fear of the same--but using a shop vac outside will not kill you.

I have outdoor outlets that are appropriately grounded. I just plug in an extension cord that has "3" prongs, plug in the shop vac, flip the suction to "out" and go to town. If you have properly grounded outlets, it should not be a problem. Or, plug the extension cord in an outlet in the house, plug in the vac, and away you go. I can send you a PM re: how to avoid getting electrocuted. I have an "anal" fear of the same--but using a shop vac outside will not kill you.

Thanks, CWS. I do have an outdoor outlet that I use for the weedeater and a heavy duty extension cord -- my back yard is so small I just use that for a mower -- so all I need now is the vac. Time for a shopping trip to Lowe's/Home Depot. I used to have several acres to play in; now I feel as though I'm gardening in miniature - sort of a Bonsai lawn & garden.

same thing i learned last week and every week: that i trust/believe people way too much/too little in exactly the wrong order. but then, i guess i haven't learned it after all since the lesson needs to be repeated and repeated....

Somebunny said:
I learned, and not for the first time that "we Americans". Sometimes think we are the only people on the planet :(

I feel like there is a good story behind this one

Back
Top Bottom