Things I learned this week...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This week I learned that steam burns worse than boiling water, I also learned that all polysporin is not created equal.

Oh how true. My mother had a pot of boiling water on the stove for pasta. A friend of hers came in the door and before my mother could say anything, she lifted up the cover to the pot. She proceeded to inhale deeply through her nose with her eyes shut to see what my mother was cooking. A fast trip to the ER. Need I say more? :angel:

This week I learned that steam burns worse than boiling water, I also learned that all polysporin is not created equal.

what happened to you, alix? i only got the tail end of this story. please fill me in, or direct me to the thread where you relate the circumstances of this burn accident. when was this, and what has happened since then, alix? which hand is it? so sorry this happened....:(

what happened to you, alix? i only got the tail end of this story. please fill me in, or direct me to the thread where you relate the circumstances of this burn accident. when was this, and what has happened since then, alix? which hand is it? so sorry this happened....:(

Go to post #117 one page back. The whole story starts there. Not a pretty story. :angel:

Vit,
Alix did tell the story somewhere. Maybe a different thread. I'm sure she will come around soon and let you know where. If I run across it, I will PM you. ;)

This may turn into a major vent. Its been a stupid week! Monday night, received a NASTY steam burn on my hand. BAD one. Treated it with cold water, aloe and let it be. Blistered up nicely. I left it alone, although the temptation nearly got me.

Yesterday, horrible migraine (weather related likely) and went home from work. Slept all day, felt better. Went to hug DH when he got home and ripped off the ginormous blister! GROSS! Polysporin but no bandage big enough in the house. LOTS of polysporin. Went to work, found BIG bandage and more polysporin.

Later today, hand aching...some swelling but no redness or heat. Went to doc for meds. He wrapped the crap out of my hand. I could have been a mummy! LOL. Taking antibiotics now, but took off giant bandage and put a big stick on bandaid on it.

Whine! Whimper! My arm hurts! Stupid infection. If this gets worse and messes up my trip I'm going to be über ticked off.

Sorry! Petty Vents, post #400

I learned that my croaky voice still doesn't work with voice activated software! So, how do you communicate when your fingers and your voice don't work? Have the best hubby in the world type for you!

I am surprisingly not down about the fact my hands are getting worse. they are my everything for cakes, typing, cooking, etc. But it is another challenge that I can figure out! :cool:

I learned that my croaky voice still doesn't work with voice activated software! So, how do you communicate when your fingers and your voice don't work? Have the best hubby in the world type for you!

I am surprisingly not down about the fact my hands are getting worse. they are my everything for cakes, typing, cooking, etc. But it is another challenge that I can figure out! :cool:

I hear ya Laurie. My little fingers are bent all out of shape. I always have to go back and check all my capital T's. And there are days when it can take me an hour or more to get them to move without pain. The keys on the right side of the board always give me trouble. Fortunately, I am ambidextrous. And thank goodness for spell check. I have to keep my eyes on the screen and go back to make any corrections. Some I catch and some I miss.

When I see errors that others make, I just assume they have the same problems I have and overlook them all the time.

Here's hoping you have a good day like I am having. Don't look at your hands as a problem, but another challenge life has given you to overcome. :angel:

Last edited:
It has always amazed me how a director can get so many kids to do what he wants. Kid just love to goof off. Even in Annie. Tthe kids are great. Some folks just have to love kids and have a lot of patience. :angel:

Or a group of kids that enjoy what they are doing. They will cooperate as long as they are doing what they want.

Or a group of kids that enjoy what they are doing. They will cooperate as long as they are doing what they want.
that is definitely the key. i was watching some features from the harry potter movies a while back and the kids said that they kept coming back because the directors and others made it fun!

Yes, I heave heard that too Laurie...we have watched a few videos where they interview the kids and they said they have so much fun on the set...which is great!

I learned that when making "bread rounds" for smorgasbord sandwiches, to cover with a damp dish towel to prevent the rounds from drying out while making all the rounds and that adding a bit of oil to a mayo-based potato salad does boost the flavor.

I learned that when making "bread rounds" for smorgasbord sandwiches, to cover with a damp dish towel to prevent the rounds from drying out while making all the rounds and that adding a bit of oil to a mayo-based potato salad does boost the flavor.
I knew about the bread thing from making hundreds of sandwiches for both a homeless ministry and when I apprenticed for a commercial caterer. But that is interesting about the oil, CW, do you use olive oil? evoo?

Did you put "bread rounds" in parentheses because proper Scandinavian sandwiches aren't round? Or weren't you making them on the proper heavy rye bread?

I learned a lot this week on many levels.
1. I have such a caring and understanding family here.
2. Sometimes what seems impossible can be fixed with a little ingenuity and some money. Purchasing a new desk and chair haven't removed my pain, but are making typing and sitting easier so I can spend more time with all of you!
3. Even with my lessened abilities, I can still put out great meals. I have gone back to my school days where mise en place was drilled into us every day. If it is a complicated meal I start prep as early as the night before (we eat dinner at 1 pm) and keep it in the fridge. It is great!
4. I miss my Dad and wish he could be here to watch the Western Final and Grey Cup games (CFL Football) with me in the upcoming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom