Things I learned this week...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Three ways to quarter a chicken, the easiest way to remove the rind from melons, how to use a spoon to peel fresh ginger, and to always blanch mushrooms for a minute with lemon juice (fresh) for salad so they keep their color (they won't turn brown). What did you learn this week?

I learned it goes quicker if both of us fill gyozas and it's not necessary to fold and crimp them exactly right.

I also learned some things at work, but they are mostly gross, so I won't talk about them here.

I learned how to make Southern Biscuits and that Spectrum Organics is a shortening that has no Trans Fat. I learned that salt does more than add flavor...it plays a role in gluten formation and adds elasticity to dough. And I learned that there is salt in club soda. I learned not to jiggle the biscuit dough when cutting out your biscuits or they won't cook evenly. And I learned the perfect amounts for ingredients thanks to all the knowledgable caring member here.

Last edited:
I've learned that orange juice is the best thing for low blood sugar, that possums are made from minced beef :p, that you musn't tease Kades about her avocado sherbet ;), that my DC family hardly read my posts when I joined DC :( , that bone marrow is best made Pac's way, that you all rock! and that you are never too old to learn new things!

Hey, Princess--do you have a dumpling press? I know it is cheating, but mine always look so much better when I use the press. (I make my own dough, don't know if that makes a difference.)

I don't think I learned one darn thing this week--I will work on that task for the rest of the day.

Snip, that will be news to all our Missouri possums. Though when you see one run over in the road, you could believe that claim.

Opossum_2.jpg

First time I saw one it was in DC (the capital of the US, not Discuss Cooking) and thought it was a huge rat. So let us Americans know what one is when made with minced beef and I'll have what I learned new for today (It is 8:30 a.m. here).

Hey, Princess--do you have a dumpling press? I know it is cheating, but mine always look so much better when I use the press. (I make my own dough, don't know if that makes a difference.)

I don't think I learned one darn thing this week--I will work on that task for the rest of the day.

Yes I have a dumpling press, but it's more fun to fold and crimp with two of you. They taste different with teamwork...more love and giggles add spiciness to the final product.

I learned new signs this week and how to use my hands to represent an object or action when telling a story in sign language. Not much cooking went on in my house this week so nothing new there to learn but I hope to try the butter crust recipe with my pie maker next week.

I learned this week that my husband has a lovely soft center, even though he would like folks to believe he's a big tough guy. I knew he was a softie, but this week demonstrated it beautifully.

Last week a sweet, little female grey tabby kitty showed up. Glenn's not much of a cat person, especially when it comes to them climbing up and scratching the finish on our vehicles.

At first, he encouraged me to chase her away or to find a home for her. In all honesty, I did try to find someone to adopt her because she's very friendly and affectionate. I knew she'd be a great pet for a family with children, particularly little girls.

Well, by Thursday, Bella had captured Glenn's heart and she's now ours. She just melted him and he even enjoys petting her and talking to her on the sill at the open window by his chair in the living room.

He asked me why I named her Bella. I told him she simply looked like Bella, plus she was beautiful.

Yes, I'll take a picture when she sits still long enough.

She's tiny. Probably less than a year old. However, my Sally is 6 and just as small as Bella. Perhaps Bella will be a petite little girl.

She has white tips on each of her paws, white on her tummy and a little white ruff under her chin. Both ears have just the slightest "lynx" points, which are so cute.

See why I named her Bella?!

I learned that salt and sugar will provide a chemical reaction that makes a wonderful brine for pork. I learned that my 83 year father can have three surgeries in three days and still have a sense of humor about it all. And finally, I learned that I'm not as young as I used to be and my body reminds me of it.

If anyone is interested, the easiest way to rind a melon is to cut off both ends, (do this to all the melons before removing the rinds), stand each one up, and using your chef's knife, start at the tip of the knife and slide back to the heel of the knife as you go down the side of the melon. For watermelons, it helps to take a bit off at one end to help start it. To hold the melon, gripe it in the center with your index and middle finger. If the melons have been in the fridge, wearing gloves helps--your fingers don't get quite as cold. I've done a lot of watermelons, honeydews, and musk melons this week. It works. If you are doing a lot of melons, remove the ends from all of them, then the rinds, half and seed, and then cut/ball accordingly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom