Things I learned today - don't torch and then refrigerate Creme Brulee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why, what happened? I've seen recipes that say you can make a day ahead.

Not this recipe, apparently. It was my first try at creme brulee, and I'm sure there are different recipes. I made it Tuesday night, used the broiler to caramelize the brown sugar on top - all good. Creamy custard, crunchy top, very tasty.

So, I put them in the fridge. Then when I pulled them out last night to serve - yucky, separated, kind of oily looking. The flavor was still kind of okay, but the texture was now lumpy, separated and oily. Yucky. My boyfriend still ate his, but I threw mine away and just had the strawberries I had cut up to put on top with whipped cream.

digigirl said:
used the broiler to caramelize the brown sugar on top - all good. Creamy custard, crunchy top, very tasty.
You can make creme brulee ahead of time. Lasts a couple of days in the fridge. You can't put it in the fridge after you put sugar and carmelize it. You have to save it in the fridge as a custard. Take it out when you need it, add your sugar, and carmelize. You can get a brulee torch to carmelize the sugar so the heat is localized right on the sugar.

Yeah, it works very well if you keep them in the fridge, then take them out and toast the top as needed. A blowtorch works very well for that.

Rob Babcock said:
Yeah, it works very well if you keep them in the fridge, then take them out and toast the top as needed. A blowtorch works very well for that.

Yep, got a torch pretty high up on my very long list of Things I Really Need for My Kitchen!

I didn't really get into cooking until the last 6 months or so, and here I am 38. I'm so behind!! :mrgreen:

Also never put the sugar on the cold custard ahead of time. I did this once thinking I could carmelize the next day at the location of the potluck. It turned to a wet syrup on top of my creme brulee...

Back
Top Bottom