Things I never thought I'd like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting you bring up scallops GG. I used to hate them and thought they tasted like soap. In recent years, the soap flavor has gone away. I wonder if it's me, or the scallops? I heard somewhere that our tastes change every seven years.

I believe that about our ever changing tastes, Kay. Some may not be as long as seven years though. LOL

Oh, scallops....love those little sweeties! I've been craving them and tried to buy some last week, but they just didn't look all that great that day so I passed. I love them simply done - just pan seared with a little s and p, and lemon juice. :yum:

When I bring those beauties home, I wrap them in several layers of paper towels and put them in the fridge for several hours to draw out as much moisture as possible, so they'll get a good sear. Will have to check the grocery store soon to get some more. :)

Attachments

• pan seared scallops and roasted veggies.jpg
    pan seared scallops and roasted veggies.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I believe that about our ever changing tastes, Kay. Some may not be as long as seven years though. LOL

Oh, scallops....love those little sweeties! I've been craving them and tried to buy some last week, but they just didn't look all that great that day so I passed. I love them simply done - just pan seared with a little s and p, and lemon juice. :yum:

When I bring those beauties home, I wrap them in several layers of paper towels and put them in the fridge for several hours to draw out as much moisture as possible, so they'll get a good sear. Will have to check the grocery store soon to get some more. :)

Oh those look so good. If they are high in iodine, I can taste it on the very first bite. Out it goes. Kind of spoils the meal for me. Unfortunately I find the dry ones have more iodine than the wet ones. I would rather have the dry ones than the wet ones. Dang! I hate my thyroid. :angel:

I too would MUCH rather have access to dry scallops than wet, but we don't have that option here, unfortunately.

Yum yum yum! We are having scallops as part of our dinner tonight! DH bought them - I hope they're dry-pack. Judging from the price, I think they are ;)

I too would MUCH rather have access to dry scallops than wet, but we don't have that option here, unfortunately.

I live 45 minutes from where the oyster and scallop fishing fleet sails from and we can't get them either. They go to the Union Oyster House in Boston and other restaurants. Although last month I did see them in the bag at my supermarket. The cost was WAY out of my budget. So on the rare occasion I do buy them, I get the wet like everyone else. But when I order them in a restaurant, I can tell immediately that they are the dry ones. So much better! :angel:

I thought I would never like Brussels sprouts. I was right, regardless of the preparation. They're always nasty.
Hated them as a child but Ma always made me have just one. Glad she did, now, as an adult, they are one of my favourite veggies.

Ma didn't overcook veg which probably helped.

I live 45 minutes from where the oyster and scallop fishing fleet sails from and we can't get them either. They go to the Union Oyster House in Boston and other restaurants. Although last month I did see them in the bag at my supermarket. The cost was WAY out of my budget. So on the rare occasion I do buy them, I get the wet like everyone else. But when I order them in a restaurant, I can tell immediately that they are the dry ones. So much better! :angel:
I've only had oysters once. Loved them, however, I discovered that I'm allergic to them so there's never been a repeat :(

While traveling this past summer, I tried pirogi at a ballpark, for the first time, meh, they were okay, but I'd like to try my hand at it to see if I could make them the way that I would like them MORE!

Pierogies are basically won tons. Same idea, different stuffing maybe.

Pierogies are basically won tons. Same idea, different stuffing maybe.

You need to find a good Ukranian for perfect pierogies. They know how to make them right. Best I've had were from Canadian Ukrainians. A few North Dakotans and Minnesotans also do a good job.

Last edited:
I thought I would never like Brussels sprouts. I was right, regardless of the preparation. They're always nasty.

While I do like Brussels sprouts in general, my wife has found a recipe that makes them truly delectable. I'm not 100% sure just what it involves, but first she steams them in a single layer in a frying pan with maybe a half cup of water. When they are tender she pours off any remaining water, then spritzes them with Tuscan Herb flavored olive oil, and finishes by tossing with maple balsamic vinegar from the same vendor in the link.

They are so good this way that I can make an entire meal out of them, rather than just a side dish.

Last edited:
You need to find a good Ukranian for perfect pierogies. They know how to make them right. Best I've had were from Canadian Ukrainians. A few North Dakotans and Minnesotans also do a good job.

I don't know about that ;) I've had some amazing pierogies in Polish restaurants in the Hamtramck area of Detroit.

K'girl, I don't think you're going to find a great example of pierogies in a ballpark :)

While I do like Brussels sprouts in general, my wife has found a recipe that makes them truly delectable. I'm not 100% sure just what it involves, but first she steams them in a single layer in a frying pan with maybe a half cup of water. When they are tender she pours off any remaining water, then spritzes them with Tuscan Herb flavored olive oil, and finishes by tossing with maple balsamic vinegar from the same vendor in the link.

They are so good this way that I can make an entire meal out of them, rather than just a side dish.

My wife hates Brussels sprouts. But I love to use them in vegetable soup I make. They add such a pleasant flavor. So what I do I just fish them out, grind them into a mush, and add back into soup. I think she knows they are there but because she can't see them she's ok with that. She loves that soup.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I see that like us, many scallop lovers here. Have you ever had/made Coquilles St. Jacques with bay scallops?:yum:

Back
Top Bottom