"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
So which is it? You hated green beans, or you ate them raw all the time?

You might think about having your memory checked next time you go to Winthrop.
I didn't like them cooked. Still not too fond of them cooked, but at least I will take a couple of bites of them. Raw, that is where all the flavor is.

And I am sure if I have any medical problems, they are none of your business. Are you some sort of medical expert along with all your other titles of expertise? Every hear of patient confidentiality?

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I guess I didn't read the rule book. I like them both raw and cooked.
I don't care for most veggies raw. A few I can handle in moderation, but I prefer cooked. In my experience, raw green beans tend to be tough and rather unpalatable, and I really don't like the taste. Don't like raw cauliflower or broccoli either.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of raw beans, the first picking of the beans tend to be the tenderest of the season. I like beans raw, lightly blanched, deep fried, quick pickled and as regular pickled. Fwiw, I was hoping this thread would put some of the less conmon ingredients one encounters on my list of things to try...oh well.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #34
Master Chef

Raw oysters.

My Mom loved them on the half shell and I'd gag watching her until I took her dare to try one as a kid. I've loved them ever since. The pure taste of the sea!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And I am sure if I have any medical problems, they are none of your business. Are you some sort of medical expert along with all your other titles of expertise? Every hear of patient confidentiality?
Seriously?! You share, unprompted, way more than anyone wants to know about your medical goings-on.

Btw, patient confidentiality applies to health care providers only. When I worked at a medical school, I had to learn about and pass a quiz on the HIPAA law, even though I had no patient contact.

I do have a fair amount of medical knowledge. My doctors are all faculty at the medical school and teaching is a big part of their mode of patient care, plus I take advantage of the medical library to look up information when I need it. My family doctor once told me I could probably pass the test to become a physician assistant. He should know, since he teaches them.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Salted (Middle Eastern) lemons. I'd heard of them and I have had a recipe for making my own for about 30 years but never "got a round tuit" as they say. Came across a jar of them in the supermarket on one of my rare visits, so invested. Not got round to using them yet as I haven't cooked any Middle Eastern recipes recently. Waiting until I get round to having a dinner party.
I made them once. It's really easy, although it takes a few months of letting them sit in the fridge. I should do that again.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

The capers are aromatic green buds of a shrube. They are preserved in salt or oil. They are fantastic on the pizza with the anchovies and oregano.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Raw oysters.

My Mom loved them on the half shell and I'd gag watching her until I took her dare to try one as a kid. I've loved them ever since. The pure taste of the sea!!
Same here Kay. I watched others eat them and I wanted to like them, but could not until I was about 30 years old.
I now love them and can list them as a one of my favorites.
Raw oysters on the half shell have become special to me.
My wife will not touch them.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Same here Kay. I watched others eat them and I wanted to like them, but could not until I was about 30 years old.
I now love them and can list them as a one of my favorites.
Raw oysters on the half shell have become special to me.
My wife will not touch them.
Neither will I, although I have tried. DH can have them. I'll have the scallops!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately the only way I can now eat them is in oyster stew. For me they are high in iodine along with scallops. I love both. I love all shell products of the sea. I just have to make sure they are too high in iodine. Some are (the large ones) and some aren't.