"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #41
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
Interesting you bring up scallops GG. I used to hate them and thought they tasted like soap. In recent years, the soap flavor has gone away. I wonder if it's me, or the scallops? I heard somewhere that our tastes change every seven years.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #42
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
I believe that about our ever changing tastes, Kay. Some may not be as long as seven years though. LOL

Oh, scallops....love those little sweeties! I've been craving them and tried to buy some last week, but they just didn't look all that great that day so I passed. I love them simply done - just pan seared with a little s and p, and lemon juice.

When I bring those beauties home, I wrap them in several layers of paper towels and put them in the fridge for several hours to draw out as much moisture as possible, so they'll get a good sear. Will have to check the grocery store soon to get some more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pan seared scallops and roasted veggies.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	24327  
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I believe that about our ever changing tastes, Kay. Some may not be as long as seven years though. LOL

Oh, scallops....love those little sweeties! I've been craving them and tried to buy some last week, but they just didn't look all that great that day so I passed. I love them simply done - just pan seared with a little s and p, and lemon juice.

When I bring those beauties home, I wrap them in several layers of paper towels and put them in the fridge for several hours to draw out as much moisture as possible, so they'll get a good sear. Will have to check the grocery store soon to get some more.
Oh those look so good. If they are high in iodine, I can taste it on the very first bite. Out it goes. Kind of spoils the meal for me. Unfortunately I find the dry ones have more iodine than the wet ones. I would rather have the dry ones than the wet ones. Dang! I hate my thyroid.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #44
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
I too would MUCH rather have access to dry scallops than wet, but we don't have that option here, unfortunately.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I believe that about our ever changing tastes, Kay. Some may not be as long as seven years though. LOL

Oh, scallops....love those little sweeties! I've been craving them and tried to buy some last week, but they just didn't look all that great that day so I passed. I love them simply done - just pan seared with a little s and p, and lemon juice.

When I bring those beauties home, I wrap them in several layers of paper towels and put them in the fridge for several hours to draw out as much moisture as possible, so they'll get a good sear. Will have to check the grocery store soon to get some more.
Yum yum yum! We are having scallops as part of our dinner tonight! DH bought them - I hope they're dry-pack. Judging from the price, I think they are
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I too would MUCH rather have access to dry scallops than wet, but we don't have that option here, unfortunately.
I live 45 minutes from where the oyster and scallop fishing fleet sails from and we can't get them either. They go to the Union Oyster House in Boston and other restaurants. Although last month I did see them in the bag at my supermarket. The cost was WAY out of my budget. So on the rare occasion I do buy them, I get the wet like everyone else. But when I order them in a restaurant, I can tell immediately that they are the dry ones. So much better!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #47
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yum yum yum! We are having scallops as part of our dinner tonight! DH bought them - I hope they're dry-pack. Judging from the price, I think they are
Oooh, lucky you! Enjoy, and I hope we get to see pics.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #48
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I thought I would never like Brussels sprouts. I was right, regardless of the preparation. They're always nasty.
Hated them as a child but Ma always made me have just one. Glad she did, now, as an adult, they are one of my favourite veggies.

Ma didn't overcook veg which probably helped.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #49
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I live 45 minutes from where the oyster and scallop fishing fleet sails from and we can't get them either. They go to the Union Oyster House in Boston and other restaurants. Although last month I did see them in the bag at my supermarket. The cost was WAY out of my budget. So on the rare occasion I do buy them, I get the wet like everyone else. But when I order them in a restaurant, I can tell immediately that they are the dry ones. So much better!
I've only had oysters once. Loved them, however, I discovered that I'm allergic to them so there's never been a repeat
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #50
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
While traveling this past summer, I tried pirogi at a ballpark, for the first time, meh, they were okay, but I'd like to try my hand at it to see if I could make them the way that I would like them MORE!
Pierogies are basically won tons. Same idea, different stuffing maybe.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.